Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Car View missing

Car View missing

Plan

Premium

Country

New Zealand

Device

Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G

Operating System

Android 11 

My Question or Issue

As of today the 'Car Mode' is missing from my settings. I have it on all the time for driving before and after work, but when I started playing music this morning it defaulted to the main play view with no sign of the setting.

Is this feature removed or is it a bug? Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Screenshot_20211019-113618_Spotify.jpg
255 Replies

Hey @jordypeatpeat,

Thanks for posting here.

We can confirm that we're retiring the car view feature. This however doesn't mean we don't want to improve on how our users listen to Spotify while driving. On the contrary, we're actively exploring a variety of new ways to deliver the best in-car listening experience. Think of retiring car-view as something that needs to happen in an effort to make way for new innovations coming down the track.

Please bear with us for the time being. While we work backstage on improving the experience, one alternative would be to listen hands-free via Google Assistant. This feature also works with Google Maps so you can navigate while listening to Spotify. In order to do that, you can link your accounts and say ‘Hey Google, play Spotify’.

If available to you, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay both have Spotify integrations that you can link to your phone and a specifically designed for a driving environment.

We hope you understand. Stay tuned for further developments!

All the best and safe driving.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

When exactly will the new improvments be implemented? My car has no steering wheel controls, so I relied heavily on the Car Mode to be able to use Spotify in the car. 

Plan

Premium

Country

Italy

Device

Pixel 6 pro

Operating System

Android 12 last version

My Question or Issue

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately the car view feature has been missing for a few time in my app, and even on my previous phone that I changed this week (pixel4a)

I have the last version of Spotify, I also tried to reinstall by deleting data/cache multiple times with no success. I even tried installing older version but still no way to enable that feature.

I use Spotify mostly in my car (an old one,so no integrated player) and this issue brings about a lot of risk because I need every time to unlock the phone while driving to change songs/playlist and this behaviour it's very risky. Hopefully someone can help me.

Thanks 

del

I don't understand why you guys have such a strange model of work: you come up with a new feature in the application, you develop and test it. But before you get to the end of the cycle, you just removed a working function that many people use, but you haven't implemented a replacement for it. As a result, we have a hole that you promise to fix, but when it will be - no one can say. More and more I want to go to competitors because of this attitude towards clients.

Hi @Ver

When you say "Think of retiring car-view as something that needs to happen in an effort to make way for new innovations coming down the track." do you mean you want us to buy a Car Thing?

I won't be buying one. I now have to use Android Car Mode which is very similar to the retired Car View. 

Can we just have the feature back, please? 

Hey @Biobarco,

Thanks for the post!

Spotify is exploring a variety of new ways to deliver the best in-car listening experience for our users.  We're also retiring certain features like our in-car Now Playing View for Android, to make way for innovations coming down the track.

You can also listen hands-free via Google Assistant. This feature works with Google Maps too, so you can navigate while you listen. To get started, link your accounts and say ‘Hey Google, play Spotify’.

Hope this info helps. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Car view has dissapeared from my settings and replaced with car thing.

Car view no longer works for me, and I found out that car thing is only available in tbe USA!!

How do I get the original car view back?

Hey @TippSkyBlue 

Spotify has discontinued Car View in the Android app. It appears that something to replace it is on the way however.

Car Thing is not the solution to replace Car View. Car Thing is a separate feature.

Full details can be found here in a post from a Spotify employee:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Car-View-missing/m-p/5280149/highlight/true#M181808

MattSudaSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I just spent the last hour speaking to someone at Spotify support, uninstalling/reinstalling my app, and wracking my brain trying to find Car Mode/Car View. I'm glad I finally stumbled upon this thread.

I agree with Urgarth. What an inane and ridiculous way to break a basic piece of functionality that so many of us relied on when driving, without providing a new feature to replace it.

What makes it worse is I pay for a Spotify subscription and the place I use it most is in my car. Not a good look when this is how you treat your customers.

The only right way for Spotify to solve this is to bring that option back until replacement is done. Such a terrible idea to just remove it for all us paying customers.. Such a bad idea..

especially considering the "Car thing" isn't even available outside of the US. So I couldn't even purchase the alternative if I wanted to.

Honestly, all I want is a damn landscape mode. I don't think I'm asking for much.

Terrible move. This is blatantly done to sell your "car thing". Look all I want and need is a landscape mode while driving and that is what car mode was. I live in Canada, so your business decision can't even be implemented here so I'm simply SOL.

It's 2021 and for some reason Spotify still can't code in a landscape mode. Premium user here, therefore paying for a service and you keep making it more inconvenient. Will not be renewing come annual fee time and move over to one of the other music streaming services as they all have this BASIC APP FEATURE.

guys move to top this thread via likes and "me too"

Me too

give it back car view !!!!

This move is against safe driving, because I need my screen turn on and be able to skip songs without looking on my phone.

And you made this not working anymore.

Lots of us pay for Spotify, use it mostly in cars, most of us drive hours every day.

Do you want us to cancel Spotify and move to another music player?

I am saying again..this move is against safe driving.

This move is against safe driving, because I need my screen turn on and be able to skip songs without looking on my phone.

And you made this not working anymore.

Lots of us pay for Spotify, use it mostly in cars, most of us drive hours every day.

Do you want us to cancel Spotify and move to another music player?

I am saying again..this move is against safe driving.

Plan

Premium Duo

Country

Hungary

Device

OnePlus 3T

Operating System

Android 9

My Question or Issue

The Car View mode went missing in the settings of my Spotify. I use it all the time both in and out of the car due to my bad vision, and I'm really missing this mode.

It used to be above or below the Car Thing and now it's not there. I logged out and back in, cleared storage and logged back in, and removed Spotify, installed and logged back in, I even changed my password but it's still not there :(. I have hard tine seeing it, and it's much more dangerous to use in car.

Please fix!

Suggested posts