Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Car View missing

Car View missing

Plan

Premium

Country

New Zealand

Device

Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G

Operating System

Android 11 

My Question or Issue

As of today the 'Car Mode' is missing from my settings. I have it on all the time for driving before and after work, but when I started playing music this morning it defaulted to the main play view with no sign of the setting.

Is this feature removed or is it a bug? Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Screenshot_20211019-113618_Spotify.jpg
255 Replies

I came here to report the same thing. Car view was automatically starting when my phone connected via bluetooth to my car.

Now it does not. The settings in the app shows a category for "Car" and then just says "Always pay full attention to the road and abide with all traffic regulations" but the option for enabling/disabling "Car view" is missing.

Below that is an entry for "Car Thing" which I understand to be an entirely different device.

The app knows that I connected to my car since it displays a banner wanted to know if I want to connect with navigation apps.

This is a pretty recent thing and I'm not entirely sure that it didn't begin with an Android OS update to Android 12.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the latest version of the Spotify app and the option for Car View is still missing.

So this was intentional? Why bother leaving an empty category in Settings for "Car" if there are no options?

Why remove a safety feature prior to having a replacement.

To continue your analogy, I'm not sure I would bulldoze my house because I was thinking of maybe replacing it with something in the future...before I had an alternative place to live.

i switched from youtube music back to Spotify for this feature and they JUST removed it 2 weeks later

going back to YT music or maybe amazon music 

Well that's three of us with same issue.
BRING IT BACK!!!!!

1. Car View on the mobile app has been suddenly removed as spotify is preparing to roll out the Car Thing....but I don't need to add another screen to my car.
  2. I like having the option for a simple, always on Now Playing screen on my phone. And unfortunately news of this change is not very widespread yet as the first customer support adviser I talked to was under the impression that transferring my account to a new account would solve the issue of the missing car view when we were both confused as to why it was missing!
  3. Shoutout to Jasmine K. on support for understanding the situation a bit better and confirming that an account transfer would not actually fix the issue.
  4. It is understandable to remove old features to make room for new ones. However, there was no warning about removing this feature, and it took far too long to find an explanation as to why. It is a useful feature, and the addition of another device is not an ideal replacement.

Spotiy has done it again, CAR VIEW is gone. we are one day short of 1 year. 13/11/2020 I reported that CAR VIEW has disappeared from view and it took just on 2 months to get it back. Yesterday I manually updated spotify and this morning when I plugged in to the car CAR VIEW was gone. Now they are offering CAR THING at a cost of 80 plus dollars. I dont want CAR THING I want CAR VIEW, come on spotify, it was reported as a safety issue last year, with CAR VIEW you could glance at the screen and see what's playing but now I'm back to taking my eyes off the road to see the song title.

SPOTIFY REINSTATE CAR VIEW.

I will once again search for a link to an older version

Hey @Elyene,

Thanks for reaching out on the Community!

Spotify is exploring a variety of new ways to deliver the best in-car listening experience for our users. We're also retiring certain features like our in-car Now Playing View for Android, to make way for innovations coming down the track.

In the meantime, you can still enjoy the Spotify experience within the standard Now Playing View.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Kiril Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm in the same situation, one of the main reasons why I prefer Spotify over others is because it is the only platform which has a car view, taking this away then it's equally the same as the others so I'll be using YT music as I already pay for YT premium which I mainly used for YT, now there's no point paying for Spotify premium

YT Premium announced a new CAR VIEW, so now it is just a matter of time to say goodbye to Spotify

Really!? Fantastic!

So that's why it dissapeared for me today. This is probably the last nail in the coffin to abandon Spotify and look somewhere else where they actually care about their costumers and try to improve the functions, not to remove one of the actually usefull ones. YT Premium will probably be the way. 

I second this. I already have a phone with Spotify on it and I'm not buying a new device. I'll just switch to a different service that cares enough about the user's experience (and safety) to stop removing car mode

I don't believe we'll get anymore more Spotify "official" responses on this post. They have apparently made a decision, however poor we believe it to be, for whatever reason.

I personally actually grew to love car view, I didn't like it at first but then discovered that it did help me. I wish they hadn't made the decision they did... Hopefully, they have something better on the horizon other than coercing people into buying additional purpose built hardware (ie. Car Thing) to do what Car View was doing for no additional cost.

We adopted smartphones because we hated having a dozen different purpose built devices we had to carry around with us throughout our daily lives. I'm not sure if this decision was motivated by greed, or that they really have another solution albeit a poorly planned one, to replace it, or if they are ignorant to the fact that Car View was a useful feature.

Until we know for sure, it very well be our decision as to whether this decision is enough to seek an alternative streaming music provider. I'm seriously struggling with that choice now.

I wish you all luck going forward.

Car mode is visible in menu but does not work. Connected to Jabra bluetooth device and has always worked. Running on Samsung S20, premium, Android 11 (just updated).

I am now fiddling with my phone constantly while drive due to car view not being there. When something works just leave it alone. Please bring it back. Very unsafe without it. 

I just wrote a reply which vanished when I went to send it! Bring Car View back! Also when Car View went, similar songs no longer continue after an album has finished. And if you are going to "read is great for users, it is very unhelpful to not alert us.

I meant"retire" something that is great for us

I did this the last time, I bombarded the spotify support help line and finally the spotify programmers realised that safety is a pretty big thing and reinstated the CAR VIEW mode, so lets do it again.
People have had some serious car accidents when their eyes are squinting to see what's playing on Spotify and not on the road ahead......SAFETY FIRST SPOTIFY.......SAFETY.
here's the link to the suppot team at spotify.
https://support.spotify.com/us/contact-spotify-support/

Stop using the tired old method of breaking down every single feature into an additional accessory. As well as discontinuing a safety feature while saying the discontinuation is a "safety feature" because you have an EVEN SAFER FEATURE?! That you haven't even rolled out yet?? But it's damn near $100?? A lot of low income people use Spotify, buy used phones or on some kind of phone plan that allows them to have nicer smartphones. Taking away a major, built-in safety feature (that is accessible to your ENTIRE customer base), only to replace it with a $100 accessory for the same purpose is not innovative, nor is it REALLY about the safety of your customers. It is classist, and a disgusting cash grab model that so many companies have opted for. Bring back Car View.

You should have the improvement ready before removing an incredibly important and useful feature. Unacceptable. Let me just crash my care u locking the screen every few minutes. I don't want work arounds. It was a great feature. I switched to it permanently, in and out of the vehicle. Bring it back!

Suggested posts