Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Chromecast broken?

Solved!

Chromecast broken?

Getting "Can't play this right now" against both Chromcast devices I have from within Spotify. Other apps work fine with Chromecast. Any ideas? I'm using the release version of Spotify.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

As per my OP, the Chromecasts work fine with other Android apps. 

I reset the Spotify app (deleting all data). Now it works with Chromecasts again, but of course I have to download all my offline tracks now. Ah well. I guess something got corrupted 😞

Thanks for trying to help.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Hi there!

Which generation of Chromecast are you using?

One of them is a Chromecast Audio, the other a 1st gen HDMI Chromecast. Same message for both.

Have you tried to reset the Chromecast?

Yes, both of them. And force stopped Spotify and rebooted the phone.

Try to set up the chromecast from your phone wifi. 

Marked as solution

As per my OP, the Chromecasts work fine with other Android apps. 

I reset the Spotify app (deleting all data). Now it works with Chromecasts again, but of course I have to download all my offline tracks now. Ah well. I guess something got corrupted 😞

Thanks for trying to help.

Happy to here it works now.

Forgot to mention that you could try and reset the Spotify app on your phone. 

I have to force stop spotify ever time I return to my wifi to get it to detect my chromecast audio. Any suggestions?

same problem. I reset the Spotify app, too. Works fine.

Chromecast Audio can't play Songs from Spotify that have been synced onto your device from an .mp3 file on your computer. If you switch to a different song (from the Spotify database), the Chromecast will be shown as available.

I tried rebooting my chromecast (2nd gen), and force stopping Spotify. I didn't want to have to reinstall Spotify and reinstall my playlists.

What worked for me was the following:

Step 1 - Open another playlist.

Step 2 - Play a song

Step 3 - Choose "Devices Available"

Step 4 - Chromecast would be an option.

Perhaps the issue is cache based, and / or not working on particular songs.

Hope this helps.

If you have groups of Chromecast Audio, remove them. Try again. Then make new groups.

Thank you!

I was so fed up when I thought I had to clear data on the Spotify app for the THIRD time in a month because of this annoying bug. It is indeed a problem with some tracks (in my experience always podcasts). Playing a song, casting and then switching back to the podcast works. You reply should be selected as the answer, it's obviously the better option.

Suggested posts