Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Crashing then cannot pause

Crashing then cannot pause

1. I've had spotify for years but over the last couple of weeks it seems to crash randomly, and when it crashes and I reboot it up I lose the ability to pause media, or skip songs etc - that whole hud doesn't appear and when I click play, media will play but the "play" button doesn't change to offer me the pause option.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled (and did a clean install) which works but it will inevitably happen again. I've cleared the cache of both Spotify and my Internet. Nothing works.

I was wondering if anyone else had this weird issue? It's the only app (to my knowledge) that's having this issue on my phone.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, with over 100gb free memory.

Thanks in advance!

9 Replies

Hey @Frisket,

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

The troubleshooting steps that you've tried so far are very good. We'd like to add a few more.

In case you're using any battery optimization or power saving apps, you can deactivate them for Spotify.

It's also a good idea to try with another internet connection. Are there any changes?

If nothing changes, you can send us a video recording of the issue. We'll look into this further.

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hiya!

I can't really record as I have nothing to record with.

I have no battery optimisation apps etc.

The crashing happens regardless of Internet sources ie its happened on home WiFi,work WiFi, and 4g.

Any other ideas would be great!

Hey @Frisket

Thanks for your reply. 

No worries, there are also a few other things we can try. Can you make sure that Spotify has all necessary permissions enabled?

1. Open your Settings menu.

2. Scroll to the bottom to find Spotify and open the app settings.

3. Enable everything you see.

If this doesn't do the trick, could you ask a friend or a relative to log in to their account in your phone to check if the issue happens with a different account as well?

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I thought the permissions thing had worked but it crashed again last night.

It will be difficult to get someone else to try as it happens so randomly it might not happen for a day, and I live alone.

Hi @Frisket,

Thank you for getting back in touch with us. We're sorry to hear that you still experiencing this.

We recommend you go through the solutions listed here and to let us know if any of those work.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you check so that you don't have any pending OS update?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi,

Just to let you know I have the same issue.

Plus the fact that since couple of weeks randomly Spotify make me listen 2 or 3 time the same music (50h playlist and I'm using random mode).

Note that the issue also appears on the web version of Spotify for me.

Seems that some people are concerned about this issue but too hard to join support teams.

Best regards,

Yes, same issue here too. Sony Xperia 1II Android 12.

Little update

Seems that the application doesn't crash anymore and that the UI is functional.

Non update done or anything, strange.

But I still have an issue with musics playing 2 or 3 times in a raw. I Guess I'll create another topic.

Hey folks,

Thank you for the messages and for keeping us updated.

We're glad to know that the app is not crashing anymore @Frezon, this information is really useful to keep investigating further. 

However, just to make sure, have you all tried the solution mentioned by @Jeremy above? In case you do and the issue is still persistent, we'd recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app. This is often an overlooked step, but it’s more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be causing this trouble. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts