Premium

Country

UK

Device

Samsung Galaxy S10

Operating System

Android V11

My Question or Issue

Spotify keeps reporting the same song regardless of what song is actually playing.  The controls also get messed up so it thinks songs aren't playing when they are.

This is a constant issue that only clears with a restart and reappears far too quickly, it's actually irritating to the point where I might look for another service.  The app has become increasingly more and more buggy.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

So the only way I've been able to clear the recurring issue on Android is:

1. Go into App Manager
  2. Select Spotify
  3. Select Storage
  4. Click Clear cache

The issue then stops for a while and I have to repeat this all over again.

There is a quicker way by holding down on the Spotify icon, clicking the i when the popup appears which will bypass finding Spotify in the App Manager manually.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Hey there @simmi098

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community, and welcome 🙂 

We'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app as this is more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be causing trouble. 

If this doesn't do the trick, could you let us know if the same thing happens when you're using a different device? 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am having the same problem after the app updated yesterday.  I wiped my phone and started over, but I am still having the same issue.  I tested on an older phone that I have but the app works fine there.

Hey @Roldie26

Thanks for posting here!

Would you mind letting us know the make and model of the two devices you've tested this on? Let us also know the exact OS version of both devices, as well as the exact Spotify version.

It'd be great if you can send us a short video recording displaying how the issue happens on your end. Just attach the video to your next response to us by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. This will help us take a closer look at the issue.  

Keep us posted! We'll be here if you have any questions.

I sent a reply but it keeps disappearing from this thread

Hey @Roldie26

Thanks for getting back. 

Could you try again in a private/incognito window? This step makes sure you avoid issues with your browser's cache. 

If that doesn't do the trick try again in a different kind of browser.  

Keep us in the loop here. 

test phone is a LG G2 running os 5.0.2 spotify app version 8.6.16.1041

my actual phone is a LG v35 running os 10 spotify app version 8.6.16.1041

Also I looked at the setting of both phones and my test phone shows my UID where my actual phone is showing numbers (1213892035)

everytime I reply it is telling me it is marked as spam and removed.

Hey @Roldie26

Hope you can see your reply as appearing now. 

No worries, the numbers you see as displayed appear due to the difference between your username and display name on Spotify. You can get more info about this here.

If you don't experience the same when testing on another device it's possible that the issue is caused by the particular setup of your original device. To check this, we also recommend logging in to a different Spotify account on the affected device and see if this still happens. 

You can borrow the login details from a friend or relative, or simply create a free test account as described here. If it works with another account, you can follow the steps in this Spotify Answer next.

We'll look out for your reply. 

I created a free account but I am still having the same issue

Hey @Roldie26

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Just to confirm, is this happening only when connected to a particular Internet connection?

If possible, we'd suggest connecting to a different network (for example, if this is happening when you're connected to 3G/4G, try switching to a WiFi connection). 

In case it works with another network, it'd be a good idea to further troubleshoot the original one (for example restarting your router). You can also reach out to the service provider of the original network so that they can take a look on their end as well.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

I tried different networks and even on lte and still the same.

Hi @Roldie26

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Have you already made sure to have enough storage space available on your main device? 

Also, could you let us know if you're using an SD card?

We'll be on the lookout. 

NovyModerator

Yes I have more than enough space on my phone and sd card

Hi again @Roldie26

Thanks for your reply.

In this case, we suggest that you uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

NovyModerator

Don't know why but that worked. Thank you

Hey @Roldie26

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

We're glad to hear that everything is now working as it should. 

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away. 

Cheers 🙂

NovyModerator
Marked as solution

So the only way I've been able to clear the recurring issue on Android is:

1. Go into App Manager
  2. Select Spotify
  3. Select Storage
  4. Click Clear cache

The issue then stops for a while and I have to repeat this all over again.

There is a quicker way by holding down on the Spotify icon, clicking the i when the popup appears which will bypass finding Spotify in the App Manager manually.

Suggested posts