Dislike button disappeared everywhere

Plan

Premium

Device

lenovo K50-t5

Operating System

Android 5

My Question or Issue

There used to be a dislike button (a crossed circle), but now there's no such button. Not on desktop app, not in web, not on android app. It's not in playlists, not in radio, not anywhere! In addition to that, I'd like to know, why after I'd pressed a dislike on a particular song, some time later spotify would play this artist or even this song again. What the **bleep**? Also, I would like to know how to tell spotify I don't want to hear a particular artist at all, because hearing Noize MC, for example, is making me incredibly angry

P.s. However, there still is a like button!

photo_2019-09-26_22-01-29.jpgScreenshot_1.png

12 Replies

Hi @JoyBeaver

Dislike button appears only in Daily Mixes, Discover Weekly and Release Radar. If you decide to use that button, that song will only be blocked on that playlist. I might still play on different playlists. 

If you want a particular artist not to play, you can go to their profile on Spotify using your mobile device, click the three dots, and choose "Don't play this". You can always unblock them if you want. 

I guess I don't have daily mix/discover weekly/release radar because I'm a new user?

@JoyBeaver Yes, that's completely normal. Those playlists appear after a while, the algorithm needs to learn what you like. 

In your post you mentioned that before you were able to use the block button everywhere in the app, right? Have you upgraded from free account to premium recently?

It was when I've already upgraded to premium. I pressed on a song, ''start a radio', and there was this button.

@JoyBeaver I'm afraid it's not possible to block certain songs from radio anymore. 

If you'd like to see that feature in the app, you're always welcome to submit your idea here

I do not the have the option to 'don't play this' on my phone or my computer. I wish we did have it.

That's not true, at leas on all my devicies.  2 PCs, an Ipad and my Iphone X.  The ONLY thing that is on my screen, whether it's a daily mix, recently played, heavy rotiation, or the radio tab, is a heart symbol.  NO circle with line through it, not even a thumbs up/down icon.  The only way I can block a song, is by using ios app, but I have to go to the individual artist's page, click on the three dots and click, block this artist and ALL OF THEIR MUSIC.  Can't do that on the PC app.  Plus, if like some stuff from an artists, but theyhappen to have a song that gets on my nerves, I now have to block every song they put out?
NOTE:  I did NOT just update to premium, have been a member for appx 5yrs.  Also just last week I had the circle with line through it to delete songs, did they just do it this week?

I read several articles online and in these forums, about Spotify flip flopping several times over the last couple years on whether or not to allow blocking of songs or artists, one exec in an article said it was "a real moral dilema for me because I don't beleive in censoring artists."
What does that mean?  Spotify is not banning the artists from their site or app, if an individual customer wants to choose not to ever hear a certain artist while using Spotify, how is that any reflection on Spotify as a company as to censoring an artist?
It makes absolutely no sense.

I was able to stop playing songs from artists on PC for a few weeks. Now I can't.. This is terrible. Is there another way? 

No, this is completely false. You have removed the dislike button from daily mixes. Bring it back!

Hi @0-ttykztc_8ir

It was possible to block certain songs from Daily Mix playlists in the past. 
The Daily Mixes have been limited to 50 songs each and the dislike button has been removed. 

If you want to see that feature back, make sure to add your +VOTE on this idea.  

yea. And it's gone from those. 

The "dislike" button does not appear on Daily Mixes as noted above. I contacted Spotify Support via chat. They were aware of this, but not very helpful as to why. They said "We're always testing things by adding or removing to make Spotify better overall." I then asked how does Spotify learn what we like and dislike. The answer was "based on the songs and genres that you usually listen to." This is not a satisfying answer since there are many songs within a genre that we listen to and some we like and some we dislike. It's too bad we can no longer dislike a song to no longer play again.

Suggested posts