Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Doesn't play next song in list

Doesn't play next song in list

After one song is completed, I must take out my phone and hit next Really annoying. This bug has been present in iOS and Android for years.

8 Replies

Hi, and welcome to the community!

That's odd, works fine for me.
What Device, android OS, and Spotify version are you running?

Have you tried a Clean reinstallation of Spotify?

Are you playing the song from a playlist? Try hitting the repeat button once so it highlights in green (without the 1 appearing).

~T

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

I have tried different devices with Android 6, 7 and iOS 9. It happens on all my devices. It usually starts when I ride train through a tunnel while listening to My Songs, or Discover Weekly, both are downloaded.

Can you try setting the Spotify app to 'offline mode' from within the settings and see if it still happens? It could be that when you go in the tunnel the app sees you loose connection and even though you are playing an offline playlist it may be triggering the pause intent. Hopefully running the app in native offline mode will stop this event

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Thanks, I'll try that. Meanwhile, I'm not happy until they fix the bug. More info, I'm connected to the train WiFi all the time, while the WiFi loses Internet connection in tunnels.

Update: In offline mode it won't even start playing the next song manually.

Situation update:
When connected to train wifi and coming in tunnel, it stops play next, and problems with offline playlists. And watch this: the problem persists for at least a day after I drove through the last tunnel! It does not help to force quit the app through Android settings.

When NOT connected to wifi, it plays offline playlists all fine.

That's really odd. Especially the fact that the issue only occurs when using WiFi.

To give some background; The Spotify application does not differentiate between WiFi or Mobile Data for the purpose of streaming - it just uses whichever stream the Android system provides.

You say it works fine using mobile data but not when using the train WiFi. You've also said it's not working at all if you set the application to Offline mode.

All this is making me suspect that your cache/SD card is corrupt... and although you may see/think the songs are downloaded it is in fact streaming it directly OTA. Hence why when the train goes in the tunnel (and probably loses its mobile data to provide WiFi connection) the next track pauses as it has not buffered yet.

Some things I'd like you to check:

Are you sure the playlists are downloaded to your device? Is there a green arrow against all of the tracks in your playlist signifying that they are downloaded?

If they are then the first thing to attempt is a clean install (use the troubleshooting guide linked in my signature). This will ensure that you are using a completely clean instance of the Spotify application.

If that doesn't work it may be that the SD card has some corruption. To test this uninstall the Spotify application, remove the SD card from your device then re-install Spotify from the Google Play Store. With the SD card still removed download a playlist to your phone (so that it is using your phone storage) and see if it plays fine during your commute.

If you are still experiencing the issue the only other thought I would have is that for some reason your Android system is sending a pause command to Spotify when the WiFi connection is interrupted. This may be an application installed on the device doing this or the system itself - If you are rooted you night be able to catch this by running a logcat and checking the events to see what is the cause. The belt-and-braces approach would be to perform a factory reset on your device then try again. But this is a last resort; try the options noted above first and hopefully one of those will highlight where the error is and correct it.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

It occurs on many devices. So the error must be within the app. You can try take the train between Drammen - Oslo and see for yourself.

Same happens to me on a train Trondheim - Skogn Norway

Suggested posts