Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Getting my artists in alphabetical order again

Solved!

Getting my artists in alphabetical order again

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Samsung galaxy s10

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

How can I get my artists tab to be in alphabetical order for all the artists I have music saved from, like it was before the update. This makes it a million times harder to use the way it is now. Please help.

Screenshot_20190619-211310_Spotify.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @Shawnpeoples,

Thanks for posting about this here in the Community and welcome!

Based on your screenshot, it doesn't look like you're following any artists just yet. This would explain why you're having troubles sorting them in alphabetical order. 

Keep in mind that from now, liking an album or song won’t automatically follow the artist, but you can follow them from their artist profile.

Or, you can find Recommended artists to follow in Your Library where you can follow them with one tap, like you see in the screenshot.

Once you've followed some artists, you'll be able to sort them in alphabetical order by following the steps below:

1. Swipe down to view the the search + filter optionsScreenshot_20190614_105935.jpg

2. Tap Filters
  3. Select Sort by Artist to view them alphabetically

You can find more tips to get to know the new Your Library look in this Spotify Answer

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you need help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

47 Replies

Spotify does this every few months, they release an update that pisses off their entire community. Make's it harder to use and of course 0 customer support. Why not just set as an option to display in alphebetical or not. What a stupid update. If it's not changed in the next week or so I'll be cancelling my account. Tired of my music getting messed up every 3 months because the app developers want to "experiment". There isn't even an option to Shuffle ALL SONGS. THERE ISN'T EVEN AN OPTION TO BROWSE THROUGH YOUR FULL LIST OF SONGS. What am I paying for, twitter for music, that doesn't work properly unless I "follow" artists? ABSOLUTELY USELESS and a waste of money, I'll go to Amazon music, where the music is ordered by artist, album and alphaebetically, like every other music app ever created. Some things exist for a reason, stop trying to re-invent the wheel. 

Awful update. Bring back the Songs tab. Let me view partial LPs under Albums. Let me view all the Artists I've saved, not just the ones I follow. The Liked Songs playlist is redundant and awful to navigate. I like change but this is stoopid.

I presume it's hidden in the options somewhere. No one in their right mind would make a list random and unsortable. They just forgot to tell us how, right?

This feature was the only way I listened to music. Not having this feature is enough for me to not pay for premium any longer. It actually blows my mind that Spotify doesn't have basic functionality. Not user friendly by any means.

Marked as solution

Hey there @Shawnpeoples,

Thanks for posting about this here in the Community and welcome!

Based on your screenshot, it doesn't look like you're following any artists just yet. This would explain why you're having troubles sorting them in alphabetical order. 

Keep in mind that from now, liking an album or song won’t automatically follow the artist, but you can follow them from their artist profile.

Or, you can find Recommended artists to follow in Your Library where you can follow them with one tap, like you see in the screenshot.

Once you've followed some artists, you'll be able to sort them in alphabetical order by following the steps below:

1. Swipe down to view the the search + filter optionsScreenshot_20190614_105935.jpg

2. Tap Filters
  3. Select Sort by Artist to view them alphabetically

You can find more tips to get to know the new Your Library look in this Spotify Answer

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you need help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator

Hey there @teamgerber,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community! No worries, we'll be happy to help.

As mentioned in our previous reply, you should be able to sort your artists in alphabetical order. There's more info in this Spotify Answer

You can also view and shuffle all your saved songs! They are now in a playlist called Liked Songs at the top of the Playlists section for fast access. NYL_TWITTER_01_LikedSongs (1).gif

We regularly run updates to improve your experience with the app. The refreshed “Your Library” was developed to help you manage and access your favorites faster. To familiarize better with the changes, we'd recommend taking a look at this Spotify Answer

Keep in mind that it's the first version of this update and we’ll continue to build on it based on your feedback.

Hope this helps clarify things! Don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can help with. We'll be happy to lend a hand.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator

Hey there @Jaydo@lewellra and @spaceburglar,

Thanks for posting about this here in the Community!

You can find any artists you follow in the Artists section of Your Library.

From now, liking an album or song won’t automatically follow the artist, but you can follow them from their artist profile. Or, you can find Recommended artists to follow in Your Library where you can follow them with one tap.

Once you've followed some artists, you'll be able to sort the Artist section alphabetically or by recently added artists by following the steps provided above (here).

We'd also recommend taking a look at this Spotify Answer to find more info about the changes in Your Library.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you need more help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator

I am sorry, but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life. I am not gonna sit here and click follow on the hundreds of artists I have music from. You're going to have to tell your developer to put just put it back in alphabetical order. Does Spotify have some sorta deal where they are trying to guarantee a way all artists will be "followed?" Is that the catch? I never go online and complain about anything but this is just silly. I should be able to scroll through my artists alphabetically. And there should still be a way to shuffle songs. 

Agreed. People want to listen to music, period. The majority of people
don't want to click Like, Download, and follow just to have it organized
alphabetically. The original iTunes had this functionality.... IMO go back
to the last system update and never change it again for all I'm concerned .

Spotify needs to return the app to allowing artist sorting alphabetically. No, I'm not going to "follow" artists so they can be added to a playlist where I can then choose to sort alphabetically. When I click on the Artist tab, they should automatically come up sorted alphabetically. At the very least, it should be an option in the settings menu. 

Spotify has implemented some idiotic app changes but this one really takes the cake. It's time I start looking into Tidal. 

Keep trying to make a rounder wheel - it's going to have Tidal/Apple/Amazon leaving you in the dust.

What an unusefull type of ordering.

I want to order my Artist list. I pay for your service (premium account) and I want to ordr my lists as  I want.

Correct immediatly this stupid order method

Spoti1.png

Having to go through and individually “Follow” everyone I may have saved is tedious and pointless. Seriously who thought this was a good idea?

Ok, 

I thougt about how this could be implemented. I subimmted a new idea:

[All Platforms][Your Library] New library improvements to bring back old library experience

If you agree, than like vote for the idea.

Regards,

René

@teamgerber I meant, if you agree, vote for the idea:

[All Platforms][Your Library] New library improvements to bring back old library experience

Thanks,

René

^Well Rene, 

I don't see anything about returning artist- sorting to alphabetical order among your proposed suggestions, which is kind of the whole point of this thread. Include that feature and I'd definitely vote "yes."

To everyone else,

I recently switched to Tidal and have been much happier. It connects to my Chromecast Audio with much fewer dropouts, and for only a few more $ a month, I get far superior sound quality from their Hi-Fi tier. 

And if you're a veteran (as I am), you can get their Hi-Fi service for about the same price as Spotify Premium. I haven't figured out how to go about that yet because it would only give me the option of paying $19.99, despite verifyng my veteran status through their website, however, I'm sure a call to their customer support can fix it.

In all fairness, I now must find all the artists I had saved in Spotify and add them to my Tidal library, but that's really no more work than what I was being forced to do with the recent Spotify update. 

Goodbye Spotify, it was good, until it wasn't. Thank you capitalism! 

Hi,

You can sort artists by name, isn't it. Just swipe down and you got a filter and sort option. 

The thing is, it is based on artists you follow currently, in the past it was based on save songs.

In my idea I propose to support both.

Regards,

René

I know know I said Amazon in my post, but I am in the process of swtiching to Tidal as well. The Hi-Fi is great and even though I am not a veteran I think it’s worth it. I tried it before Spotify and at the time ultimately picked Spotify because at the time (3 years ago) it was a great app. Now it seems like the devs want you to only listen to Playlists... 

Rene,

My bad, I guess I didn't see where you mentioned that. Yes, they should make it so the subscriber has the choice. One would think that's the common-sense approach anyhow. 

Regarding playlists, that's another area where I prefer Tidal, including their "stations" based on a liked artist. They seem to be of wider variety than are Spotify's - which seem to be the same 3 or 4 artists for a given "station."

Ok,

If you like you can create a separate thread for a discussion about the radio algorithm. 

Regards,

René

Suggested posts