Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google Assistant / ok google still not working

Solved!

Google Assistant / ok google still not working

On Android 7, Moto g5 plus, voice search on Google assistant opens Spotify but won't directly play anything. This seems to be a common problem that isn't being addressed by Spotify, when will it be fixed?

Im a Spotify premium subscriber. It makes voice commands useless. People will start moving en mass to rival music services if this isn't fixed

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I seem to have fixed this either knowingly or unwittingly. Google assistant now will open Spotify and even cast directly. I followed these steps from a Lenovo forum:

"Problem solved: Go to- Settings, apps, show system, Launcher3, clear cache, clear data, force stop, restart.

This did remove the icons, but easy to set back up. No more issues"

It may have been that (which certainly sped up Google assistant) or just a random Google/Spotify uodate.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Based on your suggestion I was able to fix the problem on my Galaxy S7. Instead of clicking on Launcher3, I clicked to open the settings for the Spotify app. Then, I added permissions for phone and microphone. I then force stopped the app and reopened it. Google assistant now opens and plays what I ask, e.g. "Play Godsmack in Spotify." I tried this a few times with other bands with no problems.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

I'm still having this problem as well. I first discovered it when I bought a bluetooth headset for my motorcycle helmet, and though I finally just gave up on voice commands on that, it's causing me problems again now that I have bluetooth headphones with that capability. Spotify, this is honestly ridiculous. It's a well-known and long-standing issue. There's little to no communication on this issue from developers and it's absolutely infuriating. Please get on this or at least communicate why it isn't being fixed.

Marked as solution

I seem to have fixed this either knowingly or unwittingly. Google assistant now will open Spotify and even cast directly. I followed these steps from a Lenovo forum:

"Problem solved: Go to- Settings, apps, show system, Launcher3, clear cache, clear data, force stop, restart.

This did remove the icons, but easy to set back up. No more issues"

It may have been that (which certainly sped up Google assistant) or just a random Google/Spotify uodate.

Marked as solution

Based on your suggestion I was able to fix the problem on my Galaxy S7. Instead of clicking on Launcher3, I clicked to open the settings for the Spotify app. Then, I added permissions for phone and microphone. I then force stopped the app and reopened it. Google assistant now opens and plays what I ask, e.g. "Play Godsmack in Spotify." I tried this a few times with other bands with no problems.

I'm on the google pixel. I've tried your surgestion of giving permission, force stopping then reopening but it still doesn't work. Just opens the app and doesn't find/play any specific song. And I could have sworn I used the feature this very morning. It is honestly super fustrating how neither Google or Spotify have addressed this issue because  it's clearly common.

Try restarting the phone before reopening app? Might help clear loose ends.

I have a Honor 9 and after having worked for some time, I now have the same problem. Since then, i reinstalled both the voice assistant and the spotify app (even older versions by apk) and nothing worked. On my phone, there is no Launcher3, therefore I tried the solution with the spotify app: gave permissions on microphone and phone to the spotify app, cleared the cache and restarted the phone, but still nothing works. 

So I'm quite desperate as well

Might be some equivalent of Launcher3 that needs its cache and data clearing. 

I'm guessing its something between google assistant, the phone and spotify that is blocking it, either permission or some cach/data that it is upsetting things. Try OEM forums. I found the answer evenutally on the Lenovo forum for my Moto G5Plus. 

The other interesting thing is that by clearing Launcher3, it dramatically sped up Google Assistant and the cards feed. So i suspect somehow google assistant and the google cards got bogged down by some mischievious data/cache from somewhere that was inteferring with spotify commands too

....oh and i only got Launcher 3 to show up in the Apps list by selecting 'show system', so depending on what launcher your honor/samsung/pixel etc is using it might be hidden under the systems apps. 

Google Pixel 2 user here with same situation (was working earlier this week, now it opens the app but nada...).  I tried going into Settings > Apps & notifications > App permissions > Microphone > Give Spotify access to the microphone.  Seems to be working now...

Hmm, may have spoken too soon... I can get it to play Bands or playlists but not individual songs & the play/stop feature is still not working from my Pixel Buds...

Got a little further... I unlinked and relinked my Spotify account from Google Assistant and the play/stop controls seem to be working again. (Open Assistant > tap top right blue "tray" icon > tap "three dots" menu > Settings > Music > Unlink & relink are there...)

I have a family premium account. On its own spotify premium works great. But when i use google assistant or android auto, it says i'm not on premium account so i can't choose song.

Anybody encountered this before? I have tried clearing the cache, uninstall, reboot phone, logging out. Nothing seems to work.

Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20180215-060141.png

Try disabling the Waze integration, worked for me.

Hi All!!

I've got a Moto G5 Plus and Google Assistance voice command work fine with Spotiffy BUT ONLY when you ask for specific albums or songs. If I say, i.e.: "play led zeppeling in spotiffy"; you would get to the popular songs from led zeppelin but would never start playing.... 

Is anyone aware of a solution for this matter? as far as I know it's still an ongoing issue 😕

Suggested posts