Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google assistant won't play songs on Spotify

Google assistant won't play songs on Spotify

Google assistant won't play songs on spotify, it just says "playing on spotify", then it opens spotify and nothing happens. Telling google to play an album or artist works instantly.
Edit: Samsung galaxy A5 2017, android 7.0, Spotify 8.4.37.587 armV7

47 Replies

I have the same problem, but it won't play anything. I'm running the following:

Spotify: 8.4.37.587 armV7 

Kernel: 3.18.70-g520f6eb

The issue started a couple of days ago after I updated Spotify.

Same problem, this is related to 8.4.37.587. Confirmed using a previous version then updating to 8.4.37.587.

Issue: Google Assistant will open Spotify but will not control Spotify in any way.  It will work correctly if you FORCE close Spotify in App Settings but will revert to not working correctly as soon as you close the Spotify App.

I had a 2 hour chat via Text with a Spotify CSR and it was infuriating as I was being told things like 'it will not work unless you have Google Home device' and 'It will not work on Mobile Data (4G)', crazy.  Finally got a ticket number and that it would be escalalted but we can now be very sure this issue will be reported a lot, if we can stay on chat long enough with the rep that is.......

We await a fix.

Same issue. Using Pixel 2. Plays album or artist only. Looks like a wide-spread problem with Spotify. Hopefully this is resolved soon. 

I have the same issue with my Huawei mate 10 pro, the media keys on my Bluetooth headset does not work either

Between the broken widget, broken updates, a totally inadequate support person stating silly things like you can't listen to Spotify on a data plan and you need a Google home device to use voice commands and then the last email apparently from a high level rep telling me to send all my findings to Google I've decided to move my family premium to Google Play Music.  GPM is missing the beauty of the Spotify UI but the rest is there and maybe return in the future.

Just received an application update to Spotify. Now running version 8.4.38.621.

The issue is slightly better but not completely fixed. I can say "ok Google, play Ignite - Instrumental by Alan Walker", Assistant responds with "Playing Ignite - Instrumental on Spotify" and it will play the song. However, if I say "ok Google, play Enter Sandman by Metallica", it responds with "Playing Enter Sandman by Metallica on Spotify" then opens Spotify and just sits there.

I don't know why it works if it doesn't include the artist when sending the command to Spotify. 

I'm having the same problem. It was working ok a week ago or so but now I can't get it to play on my pixel 2.

Hey guys.

I solved this issue by giving phone and microphone permissions to Spotify app. Try the following:

1. Go to Android options;
  2. Go to applications and find the Spotify app;
  3. Go to Spotify app permissions and give the desired permissions to the app;
  4. Force-close Spotify app in the screen before;
  5. Try using Google Assistant now.

I hope this works for you too.

Regards.

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately this didnt work for me 😞

Thank you for the suggestion, but this didn't work for me either.

Thanks for suggesting , but still not working for me. Pixel 2 running Android 8.1 and latest Spotify version. 

I'm also having this issue right now on a OnePlus 5T running Nougat.

Two weeks ago this was working just fine so I'm assuming something updated and broke the functionality.

Again, I can play albums, artists, playlistst just fine.

If I try to play a specific song, the app opens and just sits there at the main screen.

I'm not sure what changed, but it's working now. Running the same application version.

I've just dipped into the Google Assistant arena for the first time and I'm ripping my hair out.  After countless false starts I can now call up my playlists via voice on my Nexus 6P but my Samsung Tab S 10.5 tablet just throws up random tracks for the same commands. Trying alternative commands frequently take me to various loosely connected web-pages rather than Music.   Spotify 'Customer Help' just refers me here-useless!  Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance.

strange - me too.

Under spotify settings on my phone - I just deleted all cache and saved data - then re logged in. Now it's working again with my pixel 2 voice assistant

Thanks for the suggestion but no joy here!

Seems to be working for me now too. I hope it stays that way

Can confirm it's working for me too now

Suggested posts