Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

HTC One and HTC bluetooth headset BH S600. Pause button not working?

Solved!

HTC One and HTC bluetooth headset BH S600. Pause button not working?

Hi,

I have a new HTC One with an HTC BH S600 bluetooth headset. All the button controls on the device work, apart from pause. If I pause the music from the phone, I can unpause with the play/pause button, so it's purely the pause feature, not the play button.

All the button controls work flawlessly in the default music player on Android, so I know it's not because the device is faulty. It's only in Spotify that I'm unable to pause.

Anyone else have the same issue?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Well, the latest update seems to have fixed my headset. All the controls on the headset work with Spotify now. Hope everyone else has such luck

View solution in original post

21 Replies

Hi. This is the first time I've seen this issue. What spotify version are you using? Do you have any other app installed which might be hijacking your pause button?

You could try a clean reinstall to see if that helps.

Thanks for the fast response!

Tried that, no dice. Using the latest Spotify, both before and after the clean install.

Anyone else out there have these two devices working properly?

I have the same problem - template response below.  Have also raised with HTC..

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

The 'Play' button on the HTC BH S600 does not perform actions described in BH S600 documenation when used with Spotify. Button actions operate as exepected with default music player. Device is HTC One.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

(We need to know what you are doing so we can do the exact same to try and get the same error)

1. First I performed a clean reinstall of Spotify as per the guidelines in this forum.

2. Then I launched Spotify and downloaded a playlist.

3. Then I paired the BH S600 with the phone.

4. Then I pressed 'play' on the BH S600 but nothing happended.

5. Then I started playing a track on spotify via the phone.

6. Then I tried pausing the track using the BH S600 'play' button - nothing happened.

7. Then I tried pausing the track using the in-line button on the BH-S600 - nothing happened.

8. Then I tried adjusting the volume using the + and - buttons on the BH S600 - volume was adjusted as expected.

9. Then I tried skipping to the next track by holding down the + button on the BHS600 - this worked.

10. Then i tried skipping to the previous tracked by holding down the - button on the BHS600 - this also worked.

What I expected to happen

This is what I expected to happen:

1. Once Spotify has been launched, I expect the 'play' button to start playing the current track.

2. I then expect the 'Play' button to pause the current track.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

HTC One

Device’s Operating System

What type of account do you have?

Premium

(FYI for the below points: Android devices tend to refer to the internal memory as "SD Card" and the SD card you inserted yourself as "External SD Card")

Space left on your device

20 GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

N/A

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

N/A

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

No (N/A)

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

N/A

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

N/A

My mobile provider and country

O2, UK

My username

intgom

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify login

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

No

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Update: HTC have responded stating that this is likely to be a functionality issue with Spotify.

Any ideas?

I'll ask one of the mods to look in but with only two cases so far, it may be difficult to pin down the problem.

Thanks.

Happy to carry out any testing required to help pin down the problem - please just let me know.

Kind regards,

John.

We can't guarantee support for third-party headsets I'm afraid. Did this work for you before?
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

The phone and headset are brand new, so no, this didn't work for me before.  The headset works perfectly when used with the default Google player, as well as 7digital, Deezer and TuneIn to name a few.  Based on my testing so far, the problem described above applies to Spotify and Rdio.

Kind regards,

John.

It seems that this problem is not confined to HTC bluetooth headsets - see here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/bluetooth-headset-play-button/m-p/22181#M769

.. and here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/bluetooth-headset/td-p/39489

I have seen other similar threads, some going back several years.

Is there ever likely to be a fix or workaround for this?  There is no point using bluetooth if I have to take the phone out of my pocket every time I want to pause/resume, so might as well use a different music player as I'm not about to buy another pair of headphones on the off-chance that they might work.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Dear Mods,

Does this help?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1395816&page=3

Kind regards.

AVRCP isn't really officially supported in Spotify atm.

If we get round to it at some point, I'm sure we'll do what we can to make it work on as many headsets, etc. as possible.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

This is not an isolated problem. The same issue is happeneing on my HTC One (brand new) with bluetooth. Not only can't I use bluetooth devices, but it is an issue for anyone trying to use spotify using their car bluetooth system. It seems Google Music, Android music all work, but when I go to use Spotify (even with those apps set to disabled) it works for 2 seconds and then a pause button comes up. My care is Mercedes 2012 C300. I dont know why it pauses, what else could be causing the conflict? Being that more and more people are using bluetooth headsets and speakers I think this would be worth it for Spofity to fix the bug.

The basics of the problem, I turn on bluetooth on my phone, go in my car, turn bluetooth selector to HTC one. Music may or may not play for 1 second, and then can never connect again. It is also Ironic that this was working perfectly on my other phone the HTC ONE S, but not on my new HTC ONE. You would think a newer phone would work better with Spotify, but it is not the case. Please let me know if you would like me to test anything or explain the problem in more detail.

"AVRCP isn't really officially supported in Spotify atm."

It should be being I pay every for the account, if I can't use bluetooth it is pretty much useless on my phone. Canceled my premium service today.

Thanks for my patience?

I'm not paying £9.99 per month just to hang around waiting for Spotify to "get round to it at some point".  This functionality is really pretty basic and I think I have highlighted that it is not just restricted to the BH S600 headset.

Spotify sub cancelled for now.  I may get round to checking if the problem has been fixed in a few years or so. 

Just got my new Nexus 5. Was thrilled with how well my bluetooth headphones were working with Google Play Music..... everything worked perfectly and the sound quality was terrific. Got Spotify rolling last night and was out walking the dog when I realized the same issue as the OP is present.
All of the control buttons work on my Logitech H800 with the exception of the PAUSE. function. If Spotify is currently paused, the PLAY/PAUSE button on the headset will make it play, but once it's going, pressing the button again does nothing. All the other controls function perfectly.
This is a HUGE issue for me. Please look into it and resolve the problem soon or a Google All Access. subscription is in my near future!
Thanks.

I am using the HBS 730 bluetooth headset with a new Droid Maxx. Every button on headset works with Spotify except Pause. Apparently this isn't a unique or new problem.

Very disappointing. I have been a big Spotify supporter. Clearly they are capable of supporting Play, Skip, etc. This shouldn't be an "optional" feature to get to in the meantime. I pay the $10/month for a better product.

If this isn't fixed soon, I wil likely switch over to Google Play's subscription service. Same price, and I've tested it out and it works with all the buttons on my headset. Moreover, it integrates with the voice controls; that alone wouldn't have convinced me to switch because I have liked Spotify. But the lack of response to this apparently longstanding issue is not okay.

Over 700 views of the original issue here .... Time to address the issue and fix it, Spotify team!!!

This is unacceptable. Where we at with the fix, Richard?

I flashed 4.4 on my galaxy note 2 and it enabled play pause functionality to my LG tone headset. None of my 4.2 or 4.3 roms let the play pause button work with spotify. My Bluetooth car stereo has always worked with Spotify and numerous versions of android. I hope this helps to figure out the problem.

Suggested posts