Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I disable auto shuffle?

How do I disable auto shuffle?

Hey,

I'm using a Spotify Premium account on my android device.

Every time I try to play an album on the app it automatically chooses to use shuffle.

I know that I need to avoid clicking the big 'Shuffle Play' button and press on a specific song on the album instead, but it still automatically shuffles the album.

Then I need to press on the green arrows things on the buttom so it can be played by order.

And I need to do that every time I want to listen to an album. Imagine how annoying it is.

How do I circumvent this?

Thanks, 

Fae.

104 Replies

This fuction is incrediblely annoying. Especially if I am a premium customer. Can someone please solve this before I jump to apple music?

Thanks,

Nick

Hey @fae2 and @neckde,

Thanks for posting about this in the Community 🙂

We just tested this on our end and it seems to be working normally: when Shuffle is toggled off, if I start a song from an album and click next, Shuffle mode will remain off and the next song in the album will play normally.

Could you try performing a clean reinstall, making sure to clear any data (step 4 in the support article)?

Let us know how it goes! We'll be here in case you need further help with this.

This is a total BS "we can't replicate it" answer. This is how Spotify has been working for me from Day 1, so it's clearly by design. Bad design. Artists work hard to create their albums, they are not meant to be randomized. Stop thinking you know better, because you don't.

Hey there @grassman77,

Thank you for your reply.

We recommend you to:

• Perform a clean reinstall of the app and let us know what version of Spotify you have.
  • Log in on the same device from another account. You can borrow a friend's or a family member's if it's possible

We'll be having an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

Doing a clean reinstall does not solve the problem, nor would logging into someone else's account solve the problem long term. I am on iOS and the Spotify App Version is 8.5.78.928. Why would Spotify even make this a feature or circumstance of not having a subscription when it is *clearly* affecting those who have paid subscriptions? There is no setting in the app (at least on iOS) that allows a paid subscription to change the default functionality of the play button. What's even worse about this defect is that even when you play an album from the start by pressing the first song title is that if you pause the song and use the play button on the album screen you don't unpause your song, you get shuffled to a new one. Like, why even have this button behave like it's your normal play/pause button (it clearly turns into a pause symbol when music begins to play, so it shouldn't turn into a play symbol with the shuffle sub-icon, but it does!). Your forums are also clearly flawed for not allowing users to post screenshots or screen captures of your buggy application. Does Spotify do this on purpose so it can have plausible deniability with the bugs in its applications? If I could, I would post overwhelming evidence that this is indeed a bug with a screen capture video...

Hey there @thatinstant,

Thank you for your post and feedback. We immensely appreciate the effort you've poured in to do some troubleshooting on your end.

We understand that you're not able to be signed in with a friend's or a family member's account in long term. The reason we'd like you to try this is to see if the issue persists on their account on the device this occurs on. Also - it would be great if you can try with another internet connection.

We understand that it can get frustrating when things don't work as you'd like. We're here for you and want to help.

Keep us posted. We'll have an eye out for your reply.

Cheers! 

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This is proposed solution does not work. I have the same problem as the op and I performed a clean reinstall but the problem persists.

Hey @chefgabe01,

Thanks for posting and for the troubleshooting you've done so far.

Just to make sure we're on the same page - you start playback by pressing on a song in an album, not on the big shuffle play button right?

If that's the case, we'd really appreciate screenshots or a recording of the issue. You can attach them via the Insert Photo/Video options in the post editor. Just make sure to hide any private/ sensitive info.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I'm having this exact problem - it's a real pain! I'm running Spotify premium, version 8.5.76.962, on an Android Samsung S10+. 

How can I stop the automatic shuffling? Listening to 80s concept albums in shuffle mode is sacrilege!

Hey there @Beckiboo1,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Make sure that the Shuffle icon  in your Now playing view is grayed out. If that's the case your song should run normally when you're playing an album or have a queue of songs.

If that's not the case, could you send us a screenshot of what you're seeing in your queue and the next song that Spotify plays.

Thanks.

AlexModerator

Hi Mihail,

I have had this issue for a while. I am going to try and clarify as best I can because the responses from support in this thread and others are way off the mark. This has nothing to do with internet connection or clicking shuffle. Reinstalling does not work.

SHUFFLE IS TURNED ON AUTOMATICALLY

I am a premium user on Android running latest version. 

1. After clean reinstall, I open the app.

2. I go to a playlist or album and click on the first song to start playing it. I do not click on shuffle. I only make two selections, album then song.

3. When I go to the now playing screen shuffle is ON. 

Hey there @LionelHutz,

Thanks for the info.

Can you try to play a song normally, after that turn off the shuffle mode manually. Next, close the app. After that open the app again and try playing something. Let us know if playback still starts in Shuffle mode.

We'll be looking out for your reply.

AlexModerator

Alex,

Shuffle is still enabled after that. 

Hi @LionelHutz,

Thanks for getting back to us and describing your situation so well.

We appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far, but would like to try and resolve the issue by performing one more reinstall using the steps here. These are more thorough and make sure that no leftover files remain.

If that doesn't fix things, could you let us know if the issue persists, when you log in to another device or in to our web player? Or on the same device with a friend or family members account? The more info we have on these scenarios, the quicker we can find the root cause of the problem and better your listening experience.

Keep us posted, we'll be keeping an eye out for your reply. 

Mihail Moderator

Thank you for starting this thread. It is a very annoying problem that I hope can be fixed. 

Shuffle is “green” every time I open the app. I have performed a clean reinstall. No matter if I have turned shuffle off manually on an album or playlist previously it is always “green” the next time I open the app. 

I want to be able to play an album or playlist from the beginning IN ORDER without having to manually turn off shuffle. 

I also want Spotify to pick up where I left off in an album or playlist (especially a long playlist) and have Spotify continue IN ORDER without having to turn off shuffle manually,

AACF8649-769C-4ADD-AEA4-8D2D75E95399.jpeg

or having Spotify start in a new random spot. 

Here is a screenshot showing shuffle is green after opening the app.

Kind thanks,

Rebecca

Hey @Rebecca813,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

Note that the button in your screenshot is Shuffle Play. If you use that one playback will start in shuffle by default. If you want to start an album/ playlist in sequential order, you have to click on the track you want to start with.

You can also toggle shuffle on and off at any time in the Now Playing view. This guide explains how to do so. When you restart the app it will continue with the same setting activated at the time you closed it off.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator

Thank you for your reply!

Is there a way to turn that off?

I want to be able to push play and have Spotify start playing again from where I left off, without shuffling.

I do not want to have to search the album or playlist for the last song I played, especially on a long album or playlist.

Thank you!

Kindest regards,
Rebecca

Hey @Rebecca813,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

No worries. You can click on the song you want to listen to. That way the shuffle button won't be activated. Then the other songs will start playing in their default order.

If you stop playing a certain song and close the app, this song will be shown when you open the app again.

Hope this helps. We'll be right here if you have any further questions.

Ver Moderator

Spotify is destroying my experience with this kind of DUM* decision, I pay for a premium service and I don't even need to pay, I have Amazon for 10 bucks, I only need you guys to NOT SHUFLE MY FUC**** playlist when I don't ask for. For god sake, I blame you guys for every problem in my life when you do this kind of thing! 

Suggested posts