Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I disable auto shuffle?

How do I disable auto shuffle?

Hey,

I'm using a Spotify Premium account on my android device.

Every time I try to play an album on the app it automatically chooses to use shuffle.

I know that I need to avoid clicking the big 'Shuffle Play' button and press on a specific song on the album instead, but it still automatically shuffles the album.

Then I need to press on the green arrows things on the buttom so it can be played by order.

And I need to do that every time I want to listen to an album. Imagine how annoying it is.

How do I circumvent this?

Thanks, 

Fae.

Top Answer
CarlosE

Hey folks,

Thanks for your posts in the Community.

Currently, if the Shuffle option is enabled by you or any other party, like the Google Clock app or any external device, it'll stay on for the rest of your playback until you manually turn it off.

We understand where you're coming from and we'll make sure to pass your feedback on to the teams in charge.

You can also ad your +Vote to this idea if you find it useful. Even though the status is Closed, it's still open for voting.

Cheers!

104 Replies

Hey @paulodiogo,

Thank you for your post here in the Community.

Can you confirm if you've followed the troubleshooting steps and took part of the information that was provided by the other moderators?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Wow, just wow. Seriously? "You can click on the song you want to listen to. That way the shuffle button won't be activated"???  The whole point of this entire thread is that this ... does ... not ... work! So either these are all just chatbot responses we keep getting from the moderators or you all need to read the darn thread before responding because you just keep stepping in it.

I sympathize with the mods who are handling dozens of issues every day but can Mods PLEASE read through this entire thread before proposing a solution that has already been proven ineffective. 

The issue has been stated by multiple people very clearly. Shuffle is turned on AUTOMATICALLY before we do anything. We want that disabled or at a minimum, a root cause for this issue. Reinstalling does not work. Nobody here is turning on shuffle and then asking why it shuffles.

Hey @LionelHutz!

Thanks for getting back to us and your understanding.

To be able to report this further to the right team we need to make sure that all basic troubleshooting has been exhausted and that we understand the issue as much as possible.

We see that some users were unsure of the functionality of the default play button and we were addressing that earlier.

Can you confirm for us that shuffle re-activates for you without you clicking on this button  or turning shuffle on a different device while you have an active session?

Does this only happen on your phone? If it does we'll need to know its model, OS and Spotify version, and if it happens on other devices, you can send that info for them as well.

Lastly, if you could provide us with a video of the issue, this would help us immensely in reporting this further.

We appreciate your cooperation with this!

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

hey @Jeremy, thank you for your response.

Yes, I have read and followed the previous answers from the mods. As many others users the shuffle keep turning on.

Hey @paulodiogo!

Thanks for your reply here.

We understand that it's not an ideal situation but we need to gather as many details about this as possible from the users reporting it.

Could you take a look a quick look at my last reply above and provide us with the requested info?

Thanks for working with us on solving this!

ElenaModerator

The thing just happened again, it should be am deliberate thing. The managers should have an hand on this, the mod and the devs have no part on this kind of bad decision. I think my time using Spotify has come. Many different platforms out there, maybe they deserve a chance, thank you Spotify, you changed the way I listen music for good.

Hey there @paulodiogo,

Thank you for your post. 

Can you confirm if you followed the troubleshooting steps that's been provided in the thread?

If so - can you let us know the information @Elena asked for?

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

I think there is a primary misunderstanding from the moderators. The issue is this: Spotify turns shuffle on by default every time you open the app. Even if you turned shuffle off last time, it's back on if you close and reopen the app.

Doing a clean reinstall changes nothing about this issue. The troubleshooting steps in this thread change nothing about this issue. The solution is to allow an option to change the default shuffle setting.

Artists create albums to be played in order. The fact that this issue even exists is ridiculous.

Hi @wurtesku,

We ask for more info about your particular set up in order to get to the bottom of what may be causing the app to function this way on your device. Since are not able to reproduce this on our devices it brings us to the thought that it might be account related.

Could you ask a friend to log in with their account on your device and see if the Shuffle option remains enabled by default on their account as well, even when you click on the first song of a playlist for example?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Cheers!

AlexModerator

I came upon this thread looking for a solution to the same problem occuring on the desktop version. After reading through the responses, and thinking about Spotify processes running on all my devices, I have some idea as to why this might be happening in my case.

I have noticed for a while that Spotify reactivates the shuffle function 'globally' (on all devices, playlists and albums) with my premium subscription, even though I turn it off manually almost daily.

My suspicion is that Spotify might toggle on shuffle when my android alarm uses a spotify playlist. I was able to reproduce the behaviour by:
1. Turning shuffle off on desktop version

2. Close the desktop version

3. Trigger an an android alarm with a spotify playlist (pre-generated playlist, not my own, this should not make a difference here)
4. Dismiss the alarm

5. Reopen desktop version

-> 'Global' shuffle is activated

This can not be intended behaviour! Manual shuffle choice should not be overridden by shuffle induced through automatically executed tasks!

Not sure if this is the case for all users with this problem, but it's definitely an issue that should be fixed.

Hey @Mufallo,

Thanks for posting and for the troubleshooting you've done.

The integration with Google Clock shouldn't cause shuffle to get activated in your Spotify account. Could you unlink both apps and relink them anew using the steps here? If that doesn't fix things, could you let us know if the issue persists  after installing the most recent version of Spotify and Android?

Keep us posted, we'd be happy to investigate this further. 

Mihail Moderator

I also want to add the following: I appreciate the work that the moderators are doing and I understand that it's very hard to address an issue without having a reproducable case. However, closing the issue when it's clearly not solved is very counterproductive. I suggest to add a 'waiting for additional information' or 'not reproducable' status for issues to avoid giving the false impression that something is solved.

The threshold for users to google solutions to such a rather trivial issue with an easy manual fix usually means that the user has encountered the problem so many times that they have become seriously frustrated with it. To then post on this forum is an additional step that not many users will take.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately I get a 500 error from the webpage when I go to https://www.spotify.com/no/account/apps/

I'll try again later.

Hey there @Mufallo,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

You can also try in a incognito/private window to see if that works better.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

I guess this auto shuffle is intended by Spotify, as their contracts with musicians are giving them less royalties if the user doesn’t play the Album in a row as it was recorded.

I hate this cost saving “feature”. Maybe Spotify will work on an user friendlier version.

bests,

daniel

Spotify is making shuffle play turn on as much as possible on purpose, then playing dumb. They're never going to help us "fix" it. It's not a bug, it's a feature. It probably saves them money by exploiting details of their music licensing contracts.

They *might* actually change the app if enough people complain or leave. But all this "reinstall or try another account" is 100% just shining us on, wasting time and gaslighting. They are hoping you'll give up and live with the undesirable behavior.

"try" means you don't know

Why is this tagged as solved when multiple people in the thread have clearly said that it is not.
The problem still exists and has existed since day dot as its current shuffle feature has been Spotifys MO by design and they've never shown any intention of changing.
Shuffle should be manual ONLY

Has anyone come up with a proper solution? I will never want to do a shuffle, yet it is always turned on when I start my app - regardless of platform. I would like to be able to disable shuffle entirely regardless of what I am listening to - album, playlist, podcast, etc. 

Suggested posts