Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do i save cache to external sd card

Solved!

How do i save cache to external sd card

I have two mobiles, one is saving on external sd card and the other is on the device itself, how can i swap it to ext sd card instead?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @judithetjean and welcome to our community!

Check out this link - How to Fix Most Android Issues - there's a lot of good info on most android issues. I've also copied the specific steps below. Hope this helps! 

Clean install & getting the cache onto SD Card

This is the core step in any troubleshooting and can help resolve issues such as:

• Black screen on startup
  • Offline data not storing on SD card
  • Random crashes or FC's
  • Track degradation or skipping
  • Playlists and tracks no longer available

NOTE: You will lose all preferences & offline playlists in doing this!

1. Uninstall the app from phone by going to 'Settings' -> 'Apps' then scroll to the Spotify app and tap on it. Once loaded press 'Uninstall'.
2. Using a file manager make sure that the below folders are deleted if they still exist:

Spoiler
  • /emulated/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /ext_sd/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /sdcard1/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /data/media/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music

In some devices it appears the folder on the ext_sd (SD card) are not able to be removed and appear to be locked by the system (Android 4.4.2+) . In this case make sure to use the stock built-in file manager as it has additional permissions. If you have no stock file manager or still cannot remove the folders you will need to backup the contents of your SD card and then format it either in the phone or on a PC (make sure to unchecked 'Quick Format') in order to remove these folders.

3. Next; reboot your phone

4. When all folders are removed and the phone has rebooted go to the play store and install the Spotify Music app again (Google Play Store or Direct from Spotify).

Using an external SD card to store your cache?

- Backup your SD card and then try to format it in the phone before installing Spotify. If you've taken the SD from a previous device there may be old conflicting files which can create issues and cause the Spotify app to FC (Force Close)

- If using an external SD card to store your cache (Offline Playlists) on Android 4.4.2+ then make sure when installing the app you have more free space on the SD card than in your phone memory. Another tip is to set the download quality to 'Extreme' as this sometimes helps ensure the right location is being targeted for the cache

- Some devices such as the CAT B15Q running kitkat seem to have issues creating the necessary folders on the SD Card, if after the above you still don;t have your cache going to the SD Card try the below steps:

Spoiler
  1. Stop Spotify (Settings -> Apps -> Spotify)
  2. Manually create /storage/sdcard1/Android/data
  3. Copy 'com.spotify.music' and all subdirectories from internal storage to '/storage/sdcard1/Android/data'
  4. Open Settings -> Apps -> Spotify then tap 'Clear Data'
  5. Restart Spotify and log back in again
  6. Set Download quality to 'Extreme'
  7. Try downloading a large playlist

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey there @judithetjean and welcome to our community!

Check out this link - How to Fix Most Android Issues - there's a lot of good info on most android issues. I've also copied the specific steps below. Hope this helps! 

Clean install & getting the cache onto SD Card

This is the core step in any troubleshooting and can help resolve issues such as:

• Black screen on startup
  • Offline data not storing on SD card
  • Random crashes or FC's
  • Track degradation or skipping
  • Playlists and tracks no longer available

NOTE: You will lose all preferences & offline playlists in doing this!

1. Uninstall the app from phone by going to 'Settings' -> 'Apps' then scroll to the Spotify app and tap on it. Once loaded press 'Uninstall'.
2. Using a file manager make sure that the below folders are deleted if they still exist:

Spoiler
  • /emulated/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /ext_sd/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /sdcard1/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /data/media/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music

In some devices it appears the folder on the ext_sd (SD card) are not able to be removed and appear to be locked by the system (Android 4.4.2+) . In this case make sure to use the stock built-in file manager as it has additional permissions. If you have no stock file manager or still cannot remove the folders you will need to backup the contents of your SD card and then format it either in the phone or on a PC (make sure to unchecked 'Quick Format') in order to remove these folders.

3. Next; reboot your phone

4. When all folders are removed and the phone has rebooted go to the play store and install the Spotify Music app again (Google Play Store or Direct from Spotify).

Using an external SD card to store your cache?

- Backup your SD card and then try to format it in the phone before installing Spotify. If you've taken the SD from a previous device there may be old conflicting files which can create issues and cause the Spotify app to FC (Force Close)

- If using an external SD card to store your cache (Offline Playlists) on Android 4.4.2+ then make sure when installing the app you have more free space on the SD card than in your phone memory. Another tip is to set the download quality to 'Extreme' as this sometimes helps ensure the right location is being targeted for the cache

- Some devices such as the CAT B15Q running kitkat seem to have issues creating the necessary folders on the SD Card, if after the above you still don;t have your cache going to the SD Card try the below steps:

Spoiler
  1. Stop Spotify (Settings -> Apps -> Spotify)
  2. Manually create /storage/sdcard1/Android/data
  3. Copy 'com.spotify.music' and all subdirectories from internal storage to '/storage/sdcard1/Android/data'
  4. Open Settings -> Apps -> Spotify then tap 'Clear Data'
  5. Restart Spotify and log back in again
  6. Set Download quality to 'Extreme'
  7. Try downloading a large playlist

thanks, it's now swap to SD card...

Glad I could help!

Suggested posts