How do you set storage to external SD on today's release?

Solved!
Highlighted

Re: How do you set storage to external SD on today's release?

Garage Band
‎2012-06-22 10:42 AM

The old vesion thru Dropbox crashes with my devices. 

Music Lover
‎2012-06-22 11:55 AM

The old version kept crashing my new Galaxy S3 too.  However, I managed to get it running for long enough that I was able to do as previously instructed and: install, reset, and then change the path (in my case to /mnt/extSdCard) before logging in.  I then saved a few songs onto the phone to confirm that they were being saved to the external SD card instead of the phone itself.

Once confirmed, I went to Google Play and upgraded to the new version (WITHOUT UNINSTALLING THE OLD VERSION or logging out, etc.).  None of the settings were changed, and the new version now saves them to the same place as instructed by the old version - the external SD card.

Garage Band
‎2012-06-22 12:24 PM

The first part went oke. But then I saw he still puts it on the local place instead of sd card. 

Then I installed the new version en the it will not open en keeps crashing...

12 people liked this

Music Lover
‎2012-06-22 12:49 PM

This is exactly what I did:

1. make sure all old data (songs etc.) has been completely deleted from phone and external SD card

2.and then uninstall the new application

3. download the "old" application: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9bwd3qqx2x286h/SpotifyAndroid.apk

4. install the application (make sure you have "install from unknow sources" enabled on your device)

5a start the application, and then log off in case you get logged on automatically.

5b from the login screen, click on your phones menu button, press "reset spotify"  and press ok.

6a still at the login screen, press the menu button again and select "select SD Location"

6b at this point it will suggest "/mnt/sdcard" - this IS NOT your external SD card.  This is your phone's internal memory card.  You need to change it to "/mnt/extSdCard"  NOTE: this is from my Galaxy S3, and may vary from phone to phone

7 once this has been changed, test it - note both the phone's memory status and the external SD card's, and see which decreses after saving a few songs

8 If it is now saving to the external SD card, visit Google Play and upgrade to the new version of Spotify (WITHOUT UNINSTALLING THE OLD VERSION or changing any settings)

If this doesn't work for you, then I don't know what will - apologies.  Hopefully you were simply not doing part 6b correctly...

1 person liked this

Music Fan
‎2012-06-23 06:21 PM

worked fine for me, thanx :)

1 person liked this

Music Fan
‎2012-06-24 09:57 PM

Worked for me as well @ SGS 3!

Thank you very much!

Concert Regular
‎2012-06-27 04:10 AM

very much appreciated!    The old app sideloaded will crash on startup but once the location is set just update and the new app is stable.  Music now going to my 64gb exfat card.   The new GS3 is rockin on.

Edited
Music Fan
‎2012-06-28 05:07 AM

worked like a charm, thank you

also: it's not even necessary to log in through the old app... you can install the new one immediately after changing the settings, it'll stick :)

5 people liked this

Edited
Music Lover
‎2012-06-29 07:51 PM

Hello,

users with full root access and a little experience with a filemanager and text editor might try to make the adjustments without reinstalling the old version:

1. Backup your original configuration file:
/data/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui/./shared_prefs/spotify_preferences.xml

2. add the following line to the xml-file in front of </map>:

<string name="storage_location">/mnt/emmc</string>

> Please be aware that I did not test this, but saw no other differences after doing the manual procedure (install old, adjust preferences and reinstall new)

> Please be aware that the old directory will no be cleaned up. You should remove the old data manually:
/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui

> With the setting above new data is stored to
/mnt/emmc/Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui

Viral Sensation
‎2012-07-05 10:50 PM

It doesnt give me the option to rename the file, once i download it, what do i do?

SUGGESTED POSTS