Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do you set storage to external SD on today's release?

Solved!

How do you set storage to external SD on today's release?

I can't find the option. 

64 Replies

The old vesion thru Dropbox crashes with my devices. 

The old version kept crashing my new Galaxy S3 too.  However, I managed to get it running for long enough that I was able to do as previously instructed and: install, reset, and then change the path (in my case to /mnt/extSdCard) before logging in.  I then saved a few songs onto the phone to confirm that they were being saved to the external SD card instead of the phone itself.

Once confirmed, I went to Google Play and upgraded to the new version (WITHOUT UNINSTALLING THE OLD VERSION or logging out, etc.).  None of the settings were changed, and the new version now saves them to the same place as instructed by the old version - the external SD card.

The first part went oke. But then I saw he still puts it on the local place instead of sd card. 

Then I installed the new version en the it will not open en keeps crashing...

Marked as solution

This is exactly what I did:

1. make sure all old data (songs etc.) has been completely deleted from phone and external SD card

2.and then uninstall the new application

3. download the "old" application: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9bwd3qqx2x286h/SpotifyAndroid.apk

4. install the application (make sure you have "install from unknow sources" enabled on your device)

5a start the application, and then log off in case you get logged on automatically.

5b from the login screen, click on your phones menu button, press "reset spotify"  and press ok.

6a still at the login screen, press the menu button again and select "select SD Location"

6b at this point it will suggest "/mnt/sdcard" - this IS NOT your external SD card.  This is your phone's internal memory card.  You need to change it to "/mnt/extSdCard"  NOTE: this is from my Galaxy S3, and may vary from phone to phone

7 once this has been changed, test it - note both the phone's memory status and the external SD card's, and see which decreses after saving a few songs

8 If it is now saving to the external SD card, visit Google Play and upgrade to the new version of Spotify (WITHOUT UNINSTALLING THE OLD VERSION or changing any settings)

If this doesn't work for you, then I don't know what will - apologies.  Hopefully you were simply not doing part 6b correctly...

worked fine for me, thanx 🙂

Worked for me as well @ SGS 3!

Thank you very much!

very much appreciated!    The old app sideloaded will crash on startup but once the location is set just update and the new app is stable.  Music now going to my 64gb exfat card.   The new GS3 is rockin on.

worked like a charm, thank you

also: it's not even necessary to log in through the old app... you can install the new one immediately after changing the settings, it'll stick 🙂

Marked as solution

Hello,

users with full root access and a little experience with a filemanager and text editor might try to make the adjustments without reinstalling the old version:

1. Backup your original configuration file:
/data/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui/./shared_prefs/spotify_preferences.xml

2. add the following line to the xml-file in front of </map>:

<string name="storage_location">/mnt/emmc</string>

> Please be aware that I did not test this, but saw no other differences after doing the manual procedure (install old, adjust preferences and reinstall new)

> Please be aware that the old directory will no be cleaned up. You should remove the old data manually:
/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui

> With the setting above new data is stored to
/mnt/emmc/Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui

It doesnt give me the option to rename the file, once i download it, what do i do?

@Paschally - stop spamming duplicate questions all over the place - I've answered you in one of the other threads
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

I dont have this xml file with the last version, why?

Im just lost,  i apologies

In the last version of google play and beta version this file doesnt exists:

/data/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui/./shared_prefs/spotify_preferences.xml

😕

I use DirectoryBind tweak

I use "Root Explorer (File Manager)" on Android.

Navigate to /data/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui/./shared_prefs/

hold on spotify_preferences.xml and use the Text Editor.

Other File Exlorer didn't show the Path \data\data\

Now, with a explorer with root permisions and with adb shell:

root@XXXX:/data/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui # ls -la
drwxrwx--x app_141  app_141           2012-07-07 02:18 cache
drwxrwx--x app_141  app_141           2012-07-09 15:44 databases
drwxrwx--x app_141  app_141           2012-07-07 02:17 files
drwxr-xr-x system   system            2012-07-07 02:16 lib

😕  Spotify version: 0.5.1.15.g81977995

Has anyone just tried to move the app to the SD Card?  Can you move the app to the External SD Card?

Has anyone tried putting something in the init.d

so this is what I did.  I made a folder on my /mnt/extSdCard called Spotify

in a terminal session.. not sure if you can do this if you are not ROOTed but.. 

mount -o bind /mnt/extSdCard/Spotify /sdcard/Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.ui 

this tricked it into thinking that the local SD card where all the files get stored get pushed onto the External SD.

kind of a stupid trick.. and I don't know enough about android to add that to the init.d "yet"  but i am working on it. 

i think it's the init.d anyways.. good luck.. this seems to work

Marked as solution

This workaround is better throught: Directorybind app

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1410262

Is there anyway you can repost the apk? Dropbox says there is nothing there =(

Suggested posts