Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No SD Card storage !!

Solved!

No SD Card storage !!

Hello evdb,

I just bought a SD Card for Spotify ... and realised it's not possible to use it with Spotify !

Hello guys .... We are in 2012 ! We need to use space as we want.

The "solution" is to downgrade Spotify, clear data, and add path to SD Card in the settings then upgrade to the latest version ...

If I had to search 10 mins more I woukd have unsubscribed to my premium account.

Who !? In your team decided to remove the SD Storage option ? Idiot !

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

App is re-designed. This SD Card thing is coming in future update.

Workaround, download this version https://rapidshare.com/files/2999426550/SpotifyAndroid.apk

Some Android phones have both internal storage and an SD card slot. In order for Spotify to use the SD card for storage of offline playlists, you will need to manually specify which folder you want it to use. Please keep in mind that your offline playlists will need to be re-synced after doing this:

1. Download this apk file.
  2. Enable third part apps in Settings.
  3. Install this apk file.
  4. While at the login screen, press the hardware Menu key and select SD Location.
  5. Enter the path to a folder on the SD card.

Finding the exact path to your SD card can be done with a file manager and can differ between phones.

On the Samsung Galaxy S, for example, you should use:

/mnt/sdcard/external_sd

Spotify will then store tracks in this folder:

/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/Android/Data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui

Go to Market and update Spotify to new without removing old version. Now you can delete Spotify's Storage in Cache from your phone's built-in memory card. You can find it with file manager, just search it from built-in memory card in Android - Data - Spotify - Cache - Storage folder. The new Storage folder is now in external Micro SD card, so you can delete this old Storage folder if still in built-in memory card.

All done!

View solution in original post

72 Replies
Marked as solution

App is re-designed. This SD Card thing is coming in future update.

Workaround, download this version https://rapidshare.com/files/2999426550/SpotifyAndroid.apk

Some Android phones have both internal storage and an SD card slot. In order for Spotify to use the SD card for storage of offline playlists, you will need to manually specify which folder you want it to use. Please keep in mind that your offline playlists will need to be re-synced after doing this:

1. Download this apk file.
  2. Enable third part apps in Settings.
  3. Install this apk file.
  4. While at the login screen, press the hardware Menu key and select SD Location.
  5. Enter the path to a folder on the SD card.

Finding the exact path to your SD card can be done with a file manager and can differ between phones.

On the Samsung Galaxy S, for example, you should use:

/mnt/sdcard/external_sd

Spotify will then store tracks in this folder:

/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/Android/Data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui

Go to Market and update Spotify to new without removing old version. Now you can delete Spotify's Storage in Cache from your phone's built-in memory card. You can find it with file manager, just search it from built-in memory card in Android - Data - Spotify - Cache - Storage folder. The new Storage folder is now in external Micro SD card, so you can delete this old Storage folder if still in built-in memory card.

All done!

Thank you for your reply.

I found this "solution" ... and it works now. Nevertheless it's a soft regression for me (and for many pple I think).

For Samsung Galaxy SIII user : the path is : /mnt/extSdCard/

I found I've hit a brick wall with this issue!!

I own a Samsung Galaxy S2 running  Android 2.3.5

After contacting Spotify Cutomer Services, I received the following reply:

Hello there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us

It's not currently possible to store your Spotify data on an external SD card, however this is a feature that has been requested a few times in our community forums, so it's possible that it may appear in a future update of the app, although I couldn't say for certain if or when this would happen.

I'd recommend having a look at the forums, which is a great place to share and vote for ideas and features you'd like to see in Spotify.

community.spotify.com

You'll be able to vote for ideas that others have already suggested, to help show the developers how popular these ideas really are.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to let us know.

All the best, 

Danielle 
Spotify Customer Support

I have tried  to install an older version of spotify mobile, then using the workaround, attempted enable the sd location option. But I keep getting the same response every time I try to enter a pathway location for my external microSD. I use 'external_sd' as this appears to be the location as shown in My Files/File Manager. I then get the following pop-up response:  'No Such Folder - The Path You Enter Must Exist'. ?!!  The pathway starts with:  /mnt/sdcard  I then add   /external_sd

It's almost as if Spotify have closed down this option and prevented users from achieving a workaround solution to the microSD card option for storing off-line playlists?!!

I'm really annoyed, particularly as I'm a Spotify Premium user and this feature was made available on previous apps!!

The internal USB storage on my mobile, only has around 12GB available and not enough to store all my playlists (which are well within the 3,333 tracks allowed), which is why I invested in a 32GB MicroSD card, however it seems pretty pointless if I can't really use it!!

The new and the old Spotify apps, still continue to show 'Installed on device(Default)', with no functionality to use the 'Move to SD card' option in the phones Application Manager.

You try to add path does not exist. Open your phone and go to file manager -> sd card -> create test folder to your external sd like "folder" then click on it, then click options and then see path. Write it to Wordpad and then add to Spotify.

Please keep in mind after you choosed a wrong path, you need to re-install old app and then try again with right path.

Hi there,

don't have any S2 with me but ... the complete path to SD Card seems to be => /sdcard/external_sd

I also had the same problem first time I try this crappy solution ... don't forget FIRST to "Clear saved data"

https://www.spotify.com/se/help/faq/mobile/android-how-do-i-store-offline-music-on-the-external-sd-c...

HTH

Thanks for this.

Just attempted it. I did the following:

• My files
  • Scrolled down to 'external-sd' and selected this option.
  • Selected 'Create folder'
  • Created folder name: 'Test'
  • Opened this folder
  • Location given as:  /sdcard/external_sd/Test

Still no joy, am I doing something wrong? As this still appears to be the same pathway I entered earlier, but obviously without '/Test' and it still gave me the pop-up window showing: No such folder - The path you enter must exist.

Really seriously considering cancelling my Spotify membership, as such a poorly written app with no option to choose an external SD card location is rubbish, especially as most other apps offer this facility as standard!!

In my opinion we shouldn't have to be finding ways around this issue. Spotify you have let your Premium users down!!

Can't understand either  who voted to remove this feature ... it's called regression.

HTH for Spotify devs : http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/data-storage.html#filesExternal

Whatever I try the pathway just won't be excepted!! 

Tried unistalling then reinstalling Spotify each time I enter a new pathway.

Cleared  'Saved Data' first before entering pathway

Entered:  /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

RESULT: No such folder - The path you enter must exist

Perhaps I should ditch Android and Spotify altogether and just buy a bloody iPhone like everyone else, as at least both the phones and apps work properly and don't require 'human intervention' to resolve pathetic issues like this!

I'm not fan of this solition either but ... Maybe it could solve your prob

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1410262

but your phone need to be rooted.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/How-do-you-set-storage-to-external-SD-on-today-s-rele...

Is it case sensitive?

Community Ergo Sum

Yes it is case sensitive, as usual on linux systems. 

btw. i am on 30 premium test days. i love the service and the app etc. it rocks and is actually worth its money i guess. but im not sure if i want to support this attitude of spotify? Seems they wanna force people to use internal storage so they can not download as many songs? or is it just a bug? i mean, its actually a matter of some minutes to fix this AFAIK. So where is the problem then?

Spotify have stated that this will be resolved in the next release. No.idea when it will be released though - android releases are not as frequent as iOS ones
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Hi there,

Not according to the reply I received from Spotify a few days ago?  

Please note the words: 'Possible'  'May' and 'If or when', all fairly negative words and not really what I would term as a positive response to the problem.

Spotify Reply:

Hello there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us

It's not currently possible to store your Spotify data on an external SD card, however this is a feature that has been requested a few times in our community forums, so it's possible that it may appear in a future update of the app, although I couldn't say for certain if or when this would happen.

I'd recommend having a look at the forums, which is a great place to share and vote for ideas and features you'd like to see in Spotify.

community.spotify.com

You'll be able to vote for ideas that others have already suggested, to help show the developers how popular these ideas really are.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to let us know.

All the best, 

Danielle 
Spotify Customer Support

Officially spotify staff are not allowed to comment on future features or releases dates. However one of the mods on this board stated that thus feature would be in the next release.
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

For those of us with next to no onboard storage and 32GB SD cards this is so frustrating.

The update needs to come sooner rather than later.

What were they thinking taking it out?

I think this is a slipup like the loosing of the Screen Rotation / Landscape feature when device is docked. I get the frustration. My old device Desire was running out of space all the time. After setting stuff going to SD card it was Ok. For now I think it might still work to install the older version - point the sd card location where to sync the files - upgrade the spotify client from google play store - and sync the data.

Sure this is no permanent solution, but a work-a-round till the new app is released. I hope this is a priority to implement, but time will tell.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

Devs, please get on this ASAP... it really is a HUGE inconvenience. 

Suggested posts