Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

INSUFFICIENT STORAGE

Solved!

INSUFFICIENT STORAGE

I uninstalled Spotify thinking it would clear all my downloaded playlists so that I could have more space on my phone. Now it won't install!! I've been trying to find a solution for two hours and I'm starting to get frustrated because I have to be somewhere and I want to have my music that I'm paying for.. It keeps saying insufficient storage, but I uninstalled so many apps already. I don't understand. I was reading that it might be the cache or whatever or *.odex files, I honestly don't know. I just want to know how I can clear some data and install it again. Many thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This workaround isn’t so much a permanent fix, but it will at least let you download those big apps that you can’t now like Spotify. First, navigate to Settings, Applications and click Manage Applications. Here hit the All tab and scroll down till you get to Market. You should see a Market version number, and just click Uninstall updates, which simply reverts your Market back to an older version (don't worry, you can update Market back to new).

Market remove

Once you go back to the Market, find the app you wanted to download like Spotify and download and install. Now, eventually, the Market will automatically update itself again in the background and, once again, you won’t be able to download apps with big files sizes. So if you you need to download something again, you’ll have to navigate back to the Market under Settings and uninstall updates.

Also try to remove some installed apps you do not need or use often.

Let me know how this works for you!

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Hey there!

Sad to hear you have problems with your Spotify.

From where you download your lovely app? Google Play? If, just try to download older version.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fq3lss0c6or2ejk/0-kUrt9_TT/0.4.12.180/SpotifyAndroid.apk

Remember to allow 3rd part apps and then if working, try to update to new app from Market.

I hope this helps! Let me know.

Also to answer another question, there is no need to clear cache, because Spotify for Android is designed to use less space if you have little storage. In 8GB card, for example, Spotify will use just 3GB. And Spotify automatically handle things you need: most played tracks are always in cache and Offline playlists too* (Playlist Offline cache will be deleted after some minutes if you mark playlist as non-Offline*).

However, if you want to remove cache manually for any reason, open File Manager, go to Android folder, then to Data folder, then to Spotify folder and then to Cache folder and then you see Storage folder. You can delete the whole folder. Now cache is cleared. Spotify will create this folder again when you start Spotify next time, so no need to manually add this folder back. Also remember data charges may apply if you delete your cache and start to listen via 3G.

Please let me know if you have any further problems or questions with your lovely Spotify.

Still saying insufficient space.. I will try the File Manager

Even after clearing all cache for the whole phone, still saying Unable to install Spotify. Delete some items and try again. 

Is all the Spotify data removed from your phone when you uninstall or does it hang around somewhere?

I am using Samsung S 4G Blaze and I have 706MB free in System Storage and 784MB free on USB Storage, I don't understand!

Hey, thank you for information.

I will try to troubleshoot this.

To keep things easy, ensure you do all of those:

- Go to Apps view (Settings - Apps) and click Spotify.

- Click Remove cache and then Erase information (not sure how this is in English version).

Screenshot_2012-09-20-00-54-44.png

- Remove (or ensure it's removed) your Spotify folder (File Manager - Android - Data - Spotify). Delete the whole folder.

- Reboot the phone at this point.

- Install Spotify from market.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your efforts, but I have cleared all the caches and still says insufficient space. I don't know why this is happening

I look into this, watch this space for updates.

Marked as solution

This workaround isn’t so much a permanent fix, but it will at least let you download those big apps that you can’t now like Spotify. First, navigate to Settings, Applications and click Manage Applications. Here hit the All tab and scroll down till you get to Market. You should see a Market version number, and just click Uninstall updates, which simply reverts your Market back to an older version (don't worry, you can update Market back to new).

Market remove

Once you go back to the Market, find the app you wanted to download like Spotify and download and install. Now, eventually, the Market will automatically update itself again in the background and, once again, you won’t be able to download apps with big files sizes. So if you you need to download something again, you’ll have to navigate back to the Market under Settings and uninstall updates.

Also try to remove some installed apps you do not need or use often.

Let me know how this works for you!

Thank you for all your efforts. I just wiped my phone. I'd rather reinstall everything than go through all this trouble of not being able to install Spotify. I love it that much aha.

The problem seems to be in apps, you may have some apps and apps memory or something like this is full, so no space to install Spotify.

After hard reset, try to install only apps you use often to avoid things like this. Also can you confirm to me all is working now - so you can enjoy music from Spotify?

I hope all works fine from now.

Clearing cache in app settings didn't work for me.

What did work for me...

I was about to wipe my phone completely when I used file manager as root and searched for spotify in root folder and deleted all files or folders containing the reference to spotify.

I was then able to install spotify.

The message for me had nothing to do with space, apart from the previous installation was in a location that was no longer available.

Hope this helps.

When doing a clean reinstall it's recommended to delete the following directories:

• /emulated/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /ext_sd/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /sdcard1/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /data/media/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music

That will ensure no old files are kept before the reinstall.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts