Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Is my phone compatible with Spotify?

Solved!

Is my phone compatible with Spotify?

Spotify should get along happily with most Android devices on the market running the v2.3 'Gingerbread' firmware.

For later devices, try installing the Preview version of the new Android app, available at http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/ - this should be compatible on all devices up to 4.0

Check out our mobile page for a full list of suported devices, and keep an eye on the blog for all future releases/updates.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
86 Replies

Thanks Rferrett! I will try to change my password againd and email it to myself and see what happenns.

Nay bother dude!

Hi Richard,

Can you tell me if I can use the Sony Ericsson Expedia Mini android phone to play Spotify on. The x8, x10 and x10 pro are on the list but not this phone. 

Kind regards

Billyboy01253

If it's not on the list then it's not officially supported. However, if it runs Android 2.3.x then the app will probably work without too many issues. If it runs Android 4 then it will probably run, but with severe issues from time to time

Dave

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

I've just got the new HTC One X and after several attempts Spotify still will not open properly. It keeps asking me to log in and then says something like "new items" is not available in offline mode (even though I have an excellent wi-fi connection!).

The phone runs Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Is this not currently compatible with Spotify?

@ndb76 wrote:

The phone runs Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Is this not currently compatible with Spotify?

Correct. http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Spotify-needs-to-support-Android-3-Honeycomb-Android-4...

----------------

Hey all,

As of today, we're pleased to announce a special Preview of the new Android app, available at http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/

This should bring the app compatibility up to Android 4.0 - so if you had problems before, give it another go now, and let us know how you get on.

I'll edit the first post of this thread to reflect this.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

@Richard wrote:

Hey all,

As of today, we're pleased to announce a special Preview of the new Android app, available at http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/

Excellent news. Just out of interest Richard, for people who install this - due to it being a non-Play app - will updates still appear automatically in the Play store once it's released there, or will we need to manually uninstall this version and install the one from the app store?

----------------

I don't have a definite answer on that, but I imagine that when a new update is available through Google Play you'll be prompted to update in the client too. Assuming it just looks at the version number that is.

Not 100% sure about that of course, but we'll know nearer the time. Sorry I don't have a more definite answer right now.

I'm very happy to see this progress.

Out of interest, though, is this the epic new Android app which was mentioned earlier, or is this an ICS update for the phone app to solve the issues that people have been having?

I ask, because I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that an epic Android reboot of the app would have included a tablet version, or at least a landscape view.

Spyke

This is the new rewritten app, or at least a Preview version as such. As such, new features will likely be written in before the 'proper' release. I know that folders and Last.Fm scrobbling are on the way, for instance.

OK, thanks Richard.

I can see others wishing for a Landscape view as well, so hopefully that'll get  a push on the feature list. I realise, though, that tablet users are still the minority.

Spyke

After some problems trying to log in with my facebook account, I tried with my Spotify details and that worked. The initial problems may have been just Spotify downloading my playlists onto the phone. I started to listen to some songs by James (Goldmother) and after a few songs, the software went offline even though there was a Wi-Fi connection. To be fair the phone had just had it's first major Android update less than half an hour before and the phone had re-booted in the process and took some time to re-start.

Well, after about 15 minutes the Software re-established the connection and it's been working just fine since. All my playlists are showing and have been listening to songs from my playlists trouble free for about 90 minutes now. The interface is very much what I'd expected all along so for beta release of this new ICS version of the software I'm very pleased so far: Artist biography, download for offline and normal, high and extreme quality, it's all there.

It would be nice to have the library available so I can find my favorite artists more easily, like on the pc interface. I hope it is coming in an update. Still, good work.

Thanks and well done

Andy

HTC One X

Hi all,

I'm glad to hear of this new update that will be coming out. I just want to clarify: is the Android support going to remain officially limited to the enumerated phones on the website or, with this update, will it be guaranteed for all Android 4 (ICS) phones? In otherwords, guaranteed to work on all ICS platforms or 'will probably work' status with non-listed phones?

I've had a Thunderbolt and I love using Spotify but the app has been pretty buggy and given that it's not officially supported, there's not much recourse there. I'm looking at http://reviews.cnet.com/best-verizon-wireless-phones/ for a replacement; none of these are listed as supported on Spotify, but a bunch will have ICS.

TL;DR - will 'officially supported' now extend to all Android 4 phones or still just those listed on the website?

Thanks
Nate

natech wrote:

TL;DR - will 'officially supported' now extend to all Android 4 phones or still just those listed on the website? 

I imagine that we would update the list of supported devices once the app is officially released. I'm not sure yet if it will be all ICS devices, but since they're running the same OS it would be fair to assume the app would work across the board, as a general rule of thumb.

Just to cover my own back though, stick to the devices page for guaranteed supported devices.

On the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.  I tried downloading the preview app because Spotify quit working yesterday for unclear reasons..  It just loads a grey screen with a menu bar at the top and then hangs.  It eventually force closes.

Very disappointing.  

Hello!

I have a Samsung GT-I5510 with Android 2.2. Dos'nt Spotify work on my phone?

My problem is that the app says that it is in offline mode all the time. When I have change the passwork (a help for this problem, that I found here on this community) the spotify works for 1-2 hour, then go to offline mode.

What is the problem?

Regards Knappen

I have a GTP1000, running 2.2 - The new app seems to work OK for me, but have only upgraded today. It ran the old app fine too.  In fact, it seems to run better than my 2.3 device

When will Spotify be up and running with Samsung Galsxy S? (os: ICS)

Suggested posts