Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Keep Spotify playing when closing all apps in task switcher?

Keep Spotify playing when closing all apps in task switcher?

Hi,

All the previous music players I used before switching to Spotify (eg. Google Music, Poweramp) had this 'feature' where I went to the task switcher and closed all the recent apps, they kept playing music with the icon in the notification area and everything. I liked it since most of the time I wanted to exit all my recent apps and just keep listening to music.

I noticed that Spotify stops playing automatically when I hit the exit all apps button and removes the icon from the notification area, too, ie completely shuts down along with all the apps. 

Is there a way to prevent this from happening and set Spotify to never close unless I stop the music and swipe the player controller in the notification area away?

Many thanks in advance!

Erik (Samsung S7, Marshmallow)

63 Replies

Hey @eriknjoo

Thanks for reaching out to the Spotify Community. We'd like to help. 

Right now, it's not possible to close all your recent apps and keep Spotify playing music. 

Don't worry. We appreciate your feedback and we'll make sure to pass it on to the relevant team. 

Let us know if you have any questions. We'll be here for you. 

Sophia, 

I too would enjoy this feature. It's so annoying to have the music stopped when trying to clear the RAM on my phone.

Yep, this is a major and huge drawback to Spotify. Please find a fix.

This feature is necessary and doesn't seem to be hard to implement into the existing application. Please add!

This was reported in Feb, Its going Sep now. You guys should be more efficent we are paying $9.99 a month!

- Samsung S8+

Totally add this

Seriously...what's taking so long for this to happen? 

Help me dude! My is the main music app!!! Same problem but worst! Because it is the main music app! Help me help me!

On the Recent Apps screen hit the 3 vertical dots in the top right.  Then select Lock Apps.  Then select the lock on Spotify and hit done.  

This will prevent Spotify from being closed when you select Close All but if you swipe Spotify it will still close so make sure you just select Close All then leave the Recent Apps screen.  

Although that's a good work around it's just that. Spotify needs to add in not being killed through it's application.

I'd like that but I don't have that option. When I tap the three dots all I can select is 'Contact'. Any idea why?

I have figured out how to do this and am excited to share!

(I'm running Android 8.0.0 on my new Pixel 2 XL.)

Settings > Apps & notifications > Advanced > Special app access > Battery optimization > All apps > Spotify > Don't optimize

I realize most people aren't running 8.0.0 and I don't know if previous versions are able to do this but hopefully this will help someone somewhere~ 

Never mind. It stopped working.

Sophie , 

You are well respected Music Application.

You have to do something about it . 

It totally damage your users experience . 

I have Note 8 , and otger then crashing all the time , music stopping randomly you have this issue with closing app . 

Your I.T  IS really doing a bad job .

Thank you 

Jayden  Oz Myer 

Jaydenozmyer@gmail.com 

Switching off battery optimization That didnt work for me note8

Just wanted to chime in since the proposed solution is no longer working. I am on a Pixel XL 2 on Android Oreo 8.1 and the problem still persist... Hoping for a fix soon since even my free podcast app doesn't close when using the clear all function. This is a huge hinderance.

Just wanted to chime in since the proposed solution is no longer working. I am on a Pixel XL 2 on Android Oreo 8.1 and the problem still persist... Hoping for a fix soon since even my free podcast app doesn't close when using the clear all function. This is a huge hinderance.

Works like a charm. Thank you kind sir!

Settings > Apps & notifications > Advanced > Special app access > Battery optimization > All apps > Spotify > Don't optimize

Suggested posts