Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Last client update was november 2011

Solved!

Last client update was november 2011

Hello,

I've asked around (facebook, twitter) and nobody answered me. The Android client is a real piece of **bleep**. 

It's hellishly slow. When someone sends an album or a playlist to my inbox, I can"t access it from my phone (single tracks only). The RAM usage is just ludicrous, so as soon as I open any other app, without playing music, Spotify closes, and since it takes 4 mn to boot and be usable, it's a real pain.

Seriously people, I know iPhones are the main trend, but android users are numerous enough to spend a few thousand bucks on a client update, dontcha think?

I give you 20€ every month (two accounts, one for me, one for my wife) and I expect a certain quality of service. Every day I pester against your android client, and I seriously think about closing both of my accounts.

At the very least, please give me an estimated time of update.

187 Replies

Good idea rferrett, anything will be better than what we have now 😉

Indeed. And it would be a way that we oculd actually be productive and helpful.

And anyone who knowingly installs an experimental beta really cant complain if it doesn't work perfectly. And like I said for most of us it doesnt really work at all now. So what have any of us got to lose?

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Release-a-ICS-beta-Spotify/idi-p/37113

Maybe they are not even in beta.

an official statement of a moderator both in this thread and in the 50% off thread ( link ) would be nice.

I'd say that is unlikely. THey probably have to (contractually) be circumspect i'd imagine.

I wrote an article as guestblogger on the well known german techblog mobiflip about the android/spotify situation:

http://www.mobiflip.de/spotify-fuer-android-eine-schwierige-beziehung/

I have stopped paying premium. And I will contact my credit card/bank and say that they have to withdraw payment to Spottily since December 2011. Because what I have been buying has not worked.  When I started as premium user everything worked fine, the last months it has not worked (crashing, buggy, online/offline issue, synchronizing problem for offline use), one function I will like in the next release is "sleep timer"....

Subscription cancelled

Your Spotify Premium subscription has been cancelled and will expire on 2012-05-01.

Like with anything else you purchase, don't pay for something that doesn't work.

quotation: "Dein Spotify Premium-Abonnement wurde gekündigt und läuft am 2012-04-11 ab.

Danke, dass du Spotify benutzt hast!"

It just says that the subscription is cancelled and will expire on April, 11th. My ICS-device will be here soon, so I thought it would be better to cancel beforehand. I'm waiting for the update, in the meantime, I will listen to my own collection of music only. It should be sufficient in amount and variety, so I won't regret this step too soon.

Just found some more articles on the issue:

About.com

Social Barrel

Online News Today

Droidmatters

I have also cancelled my premium subscription. After nearly two years of paying it is with great frustration, but the Android app just isn't working and I have no idea when a working version will be released.

I will continue with the desktop app for a bit until I find a competing service (with a working Android app) to migrate to.

It's a sad goodbye from me, Spotify, as I've been a loud promoter of the service for a long time now. I just hope, for your sake, that everybody else doesn't come with me.

M

I feel it necessary to chime in, even though I actually got fed up and cancelled my subscription about a month ago (after dealing with the bugs and lack of features for 6+ months assuming stupidly that fixes/improvements were coming).

My primary reason for paying for Spotify was to get mobile access, and for Android users... calling that app "mobile access" is downright insulting. The Spotify content is great, but an Android app that (sort of, sometimes) provides access to music is not sufficient if the UI is glitchy, unstable, feature-weak garbage.

My complaints include: frequent crashes, inconsistent UI (e.g. long-press functionality varies depending if you search a song explicitly or find it by browsing to an artist/album first or select it from an existing playlist), no library sorting options, no gapless playback on local files, service outages unrelated to mobile coverage - the list goes on. These are ongoing too - updates appear to be minor and in 6+ months have yet to fix core flaws with the app.

As a customer, I feel ignored, as anyone who has had the misfortune of using the Spotify mobile app should. For $10/month, that's not ok. The endless bug list and abhorrent customer service (limited to the occasional forum post of "watch the blog" or "reinstall the app"... is that a joke? It's insulting.) and, let me stress this, a total lack of formal communication from Spotify indicating that they are actively doing anything... is just pathetic. Having a "community manager" occasionally chime in on the support forums is not customer service. It's below the bare minimum, and frankly I'm embarassed that I kept floating Spotify $10/month for as long as I did.

May I also add that in the time since I left Spotify, I have tried several of the primary competitors. Rdio, MOG, and even Grooveshark's Android apps all, in every concievable capacity, all dance circles around the disaster that is the current Spotify Android app. I heartily recommend that those frustrated with the total lack of service do a little comparison shopping.

If Spotify won't listen to us when we speak, maybe they'll listen when we stop sending them money.

@BBSpeed26 wrote:

a total lack of formal communication from Spotify indicating that they are actively doing anything... 

We have mentioned that our team are working on improving the Android App here.

Airhorn Enthusiast

With all due respect David, that is not really formal communication. It is a message tucked away somewhere within countless pages and threads of people complaining.

A formal communicaiton is a blog post on the Spotify Blog saying that yes, we acknowledge that a lot is wrong with the Android app, we hereby apologise to our paying customers for having to wait so long, our mistake, please hang on a little while longer and we'll give you a very cool revamped and properly working app, and much speedier updates from now on. That's all it takes, and it is kinda baffling for all of us that Spotify doesn't do that.

All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your Earth years so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaints...

+1 Fluffe hahahahaha 

I bet the assholes are going to act just like Apple and claim all this positive stuff about the new app and completely disregard all of this and not apologize.

Their legal department probably doesn't allow 'sorry', because that would mean acknowledging that there is a problem, which some people might use as a reason to start a lawsuit. Sad that things work that way.

And with all due respect to David, the sentence immediately following the one from my post that he quoted was "Having a 'community manager' occasionally chime in on the support forums does not constitute customer service."

To me that is about as bare a minimum as I could possibly imagine, and the attitude that, "look, you're wrong, we said something... buried in a private forum... a few weeks ago... and you should think that is sufficient" does nothing but cement my negative perception of Spotify's (lack of) customer service towards their paying Android users.

@Fluffe hahaha ! 

@David that's nice to read. I may have a bad eyesight, but even squinting like a sharpshooter I can't read any mention of a roadmap. Usually, when I tell my boss "I'm working on it", what I really mean is "Sorry mate, no can do just yet.." 

there're a few features and bug fixes requests on the forum. List them, get your devs in a scrum session, evaluate complexity of the issues, give them each a resolution schedule - and no, that doesn't mean adding "soon" in the ETR field - then publish the updated list.. And we'll all be the happiest little pigeons you've ever communicated with.

Suggested posts