Long time premium Spotify user here. Been having insane Android issues these past few months (I'd say roughly six months), including but not limited to:
- taking ages to load (all "pages" even downloaded playlists/albums etc)
- black screen on start up
- cutting out and playing again
- random freezes and crashes
- searches just not working (often resulting in the "oops something went wrong try again" message, or, just nothing)
I have a relatively decent phone (Sony Xperia Z3 Compact) running Android 5.1.1. Until a couple of weeks ago I had a 64gb card (can't remember the brand) which I have recently swapped for a 128gb Integral card. I thought that doing a complete factory reset of the phone with new micro SD would help, but it didn't. The SD card is a decent class 10. I don't experience any problems with any other apps. The problems occur on wifi connections (home / work / other), and on my three 3G/4G connection. I mainly listen to playlists which are offline but the problems occur regardless of whether or not the music is being streamed or playing from downloaded tracks.
Stuff I have tried:
- turning phone off and on again: Spotify seems to work fine for roughly five minutes then back to the problems above;
- complete factory reset of phone: didn't work
- swapping the micro SD card: didn't work
- several (roughly 5 in the last week) reinstalls of the Spotify app: doesn't work
- turning "stamina mode" off / on: I use Stamina mode on my phone which cuts out the data connection when the screen is off -- obviously I added Spotify to the exclusions list, but I have also tried disabling it completely: doesn't make a difference
Any suggestions about what the hell is going on? I've actually just deleted the app completely from my phone again and have signed up for a 3 month Google Play Music trial. I guess the next step would be to use Spotify without the SD card but that would render the entire app pretty useless for me.