Type in your question below and we'll check to see what answers we can find...
If you couldn't find any answers in the previous step then we need to post your question in the community and wait for someone to respond. You'll be notified when that happens.
Simply add some detail to your question and refine the title if needed, choose the relevant category, then post.
Before we can post your question we need you to quickly make an account (or sign in if you already have one).
Don't worry - it's quick and painless! Just click below, and once you're logged in we'll bring you right back here and post your question. We'll remember what you've already typed in so you won't have to do it again.
I had a few local songs stored on my Android for quite some time now and I remember the time I uploaded those being rather simple, just as described in the tutorial. When I wanted to upload a few more local songs now I've been shocked to find out it doesn't work anymore, without any apparent reason.
The steps are still followed and I triple checked everything. I add a new source in the Spotify Windows app, add the local files to a playlist, go to my Anrdoid, and select Download on that playlist. The "Downloading..." text appears for about a second before disappearing again.
My apps are all up to date and I'm on the same WiFi network (the same one I uploaded my songs originally to as well). I don't know what to do anymore...
Solved! Go to Solution.
Finally solved this issue... To any poor soul who stumbled upon this thread through Google or something, maybe this also works for you.
Basically, one or more of my Windows Defender Firewalls must've been too aggressive. It was just a random shower thought, but just to test my luck I went to the Windows security settings and tried to see what would happen if I disabled all three of its firewalls:
Then I made sure I had my playlist of local tracks to upgrade ready, made sure my PC and my phone were on the same WiFi, and made sure "download" was selected on the playlist for my phone.
At first, nothing. Songs still refused to download. But then I hard-killed Spotify through the Android task manager and restarted it. And would you look at that! The songs finally, after all these months, were uploaded fine.
I'm still not sure which of the three firewalls was causing this issue (and I didn't tamper with any of the default settings, not knowingly at least). Maybe it was multiple of them, who knows. I'm just glad it finally works again.
Just make sure to enable your firewalls again after you're done, of course.