Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Logging into spotify without an internet connection

Logging into spotify without an internet connection

Hi,

I recently noticed that it is not possible to login to spotify without an internet connection, for example if in a rural area or flying. It is annoying as offline content can not be accessed.

I found another post on this with no replies, does anyone know a solution?

I use an android and a facebook login (which often takes up to 10 minutes to log in and again no way to get to offline content)

Thanks 🙂

22 Replies

I don't even have to log in. I set my phone to Offline (Airplane mode), Opened Spotify -> It logs in and Offline content plays fine. I'm using Spotify credentials to log in normally.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

There could be several solutions.

Check for login issues:

https://www.spotify.com/se/help/faq/account/password-reset/

Make sure your playlists are set to be available offline:

https://www.spotify.com/se/help/faq/mobile/#sync-your-device-with-spotify

Community Ergo Sum

This is with a FB login. It is ok if it has remembered the FB login but every so often it forgets this..or if you log out of FB. Then when you open spotify without an internet connection this error is displayed:

A FB error has occurred. The connection to the server was unsuccessful

Bit annoying when you discover this as you depart on a 13 hour flight!

The playlists are synced for offline use, which works fine...as long as you stay logged in. The issue is that if for any reason you aren't logged in when you lose the internet connection, you can not open the app

Hmm, that shouldn't really happen, but I guess technical glitches can occasionally occur.

Did you set your mobile Spotify to offline mode before going "off the grid"?

Community Ergo Sum

No I didn't...but I just tried that and it states

"To connect to spotify, please turn off offline mode"

WHich off course you can't because you can't log into the app without an internet connection 🙂

I'm not entirely sure we're in the same spot in this conversation 🙂

Let me backtrack.

Say I'm at home with a super awesome wifi network and my internet is performing at close to warp speed (thank you Telia); I'm about to leave for the airport.

I open Spotify on my Android. I check that I have my playlists synced for offline use.

I now set Spotify to offline mode.

I can now completely quit the mobile app, (log out of Facebook if I want), restart Spotify, and Spotify will still be in offline mode and all my offline synced playlists are there.

Are you saying that in this scenario you can still get to the airport and find Spotify won't let you play those offline playlists?

Community Ergo Sum

I think we are....It is the log out of facebook bit that spoils the show - once I do this, spotify doesn't restart for me. Obviously I wouldn't do this on purpose, but it can happen...

to test, do your steps up to quiting the app and log out of facebook then:

• Turn phone to airplane mode
  • try and open spotify with FB login

Does it work for you?

I don't want to log in using Facebook credentials. I logged off the device (so it asks me for credentials when I open the app) I'm still airplane mode -> log in with spotify credentials - works just fine.

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

I've logged out of Facebook in two browsers, the FB app and FB messenger. Turned on airplane mode and ended all apps in task manager, as well as freeing all my ram.

I reopen Spotify and it's still in offline mode, as I told it to, and my offline playlists are there.

Community Ergo Sum

I don't have spotify credentials so that isn't an option...

@neo-x wrote:
I don't want to log in using Facebook credentials. I logged off the device (so it asks me for credentials when I open the app) I'm still airplane mode -> log in with spotify credentials - works just fine.

That only works if you have a non-Facebook-only account. Newer users will only be able to log in with Facebook.

Lorraine, if we're still not getting the same results I'm going to need you to to write down every step you take to get where you get 🙂

Community Ergo Sum

Interesting, mine doesn't do that at all :S

I'll try to reboot the phone so no memory of spotify being open is there in the back. Keeping phone "offline" and opening spotify and logging in.

Results: Still works.

I know how the FB thingie works, but still the concept of the idea is the same right? Ability to listen to offline content. Odd.

OK all my steps...

1. Phone is connected to wifi
  2. I am logged into FB
  3. Open spotify
  4. I can see and play my downloaded playlists
  5. Go to settings
  6. select offline mode > ON
  7. Back to playlist - still plays
  8. Turn phone to airplane mode
  9. Playlist still plays
  10. log out of FB (either from spotify setting or FB app)
  11. open spotify
  12. welcome screen is shown
  13. select login with FB details (as I don't have spotify credentials)
  14. message "Disable offline mode: to connect to spotify please turn off offline mode". <cancel> or <connect>
  15. <cancel> returns to welcome screen
  16. <connect> "A FB error has occurred. The connection to the server was unsuccessful"
  17. Sob

OK. Logging out through settings in the Spotify app will definitely completely log you out and effectively render offline mode unusable. But logging out of FB outside of the Spotify app shouldn't have any effect.

So, you're saying that logging out of only the FB app and not through the Spotify app, can sometimes log you out of the Spotify app automatically, anyway?

Community Ergo Sum

ah ha I think it is solved!

The answer to your question was yes, logging out of the FB killed spotify too.

So I just thought I would try updating FB...I had a really old version

and now spotify still opens even though I am not logged into FB!!

Well, who would have thunk it 🙂

I'm glad that got sorted. Enjoy offline!

Community Ergo Sum

Suggested posts