Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

MP3 playback with Spotify Android?

Solved!

MP3 playback with Spotify Android?

I use Spotify on my desktop PC and on my Galaxy S2. Great program on both systems but...

I find however very annoying that i can play my MP3 stored on my HDD on PC, but not to able to scan and play my MP3 files stored on external card on Galaxy S2.

I need the ability for Spotify to autoscan folders on internal/external card and the menu item to display contents (MP3) and play these. This would extend the thing to read/write access to internal/external cards, but it is needed really. The function is on my desktop version available, why not make the same on mobile?

Sorry for doublepost: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Android-App-Suggestions/idc-p/122916#M8184 , i just want  some answer.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

You need to put local files in playlists and synch them to your android. FAQ details the process.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

I know how you feel. I just put some MP3's to my droid devices SD card, and when I open them the droid OS suggests to use Spotify to play them.
Ofc Spotify opens but it doesn't do anything.

Actually I don't remember it giving any errors either. Anyways to add a "library" function to the droid client itself would be fantastic.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

This option was before on old app. However to new one this is unavailable for now.

One of the mods stated there was no intention to reinstate this feature. Bug error in my opinion ... how hard could it be to support?
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

I think it's a mistake to remove features that have been there before. As we have seen. New implemented features are good sure yes, but at the same time removing old features makes it still a bad app.

I still wish to see a change log between versions - a clear one uphold by the dev department like all good programs give out.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

I will cancel my Rhapsody account and get a Spotify Premium account *IF* this feature is added.  That simple.  I have my own tunes (that are NOT on Spotify) that i want to mix with (locally stored) Spotify tunes on playlists / random play / etc ...

PLEASE consider - thanks!

This is becoming a trend with Spotify to remove features that are useful when updating. I'm trying to figure out if the services is worth paying for if I'm basically getting less features the longer I stay a customer. Playing my music in the Spotify App is a pretty basic idea.

Just a heads up, Google's new Music service has this feature and it's cheaper. Even though Spotify has some of the albums Google is missing, out of the box, Google's features are beating Spotify. This might be my last month with Spotify : \

Why would  you store MP3 on your PC Hard drive, and on your phone?  That defeats of the purpose of the app.  The app will automatically pull the files from your PC, and store them locally in your storage memory (proprietary file format of course.  The idea of Spotify is to play your music anywhere, not play your anywhere music.  Do yourself a favor from a process design standpoint, store your music in one place, let Spotify do the work.  If you are going to make life harder on yourself, don't expect Spotify to make you smarter.

"Just a heads up, Google's new Music service has this feature and it's cheaper. Even though Spotify has some of the albums Google is missing, out of the box, Google's features are beating Spotify. This might be my last month with Spotify : \"

That's what I though too, but Google's app hangs and crashes constantly for me, and from what I read a lot of other people have the same problem.  It doesn't matter how many features a competitor has if you can't even play music with it.

----------------

"Why would  you store MP3 on your PC Hard drive, and on your phone?"

Oops disregard my previous comment if you already saw it. I had no idea the app could pull from music my desktop. Thank you for pointing that out! I know what I"ll be doing today...

Wow, I feel stupid. I spent so many hours uploading songs to Google Music so I could stream them with their app, not knowing I could just do this much more easily with Spotify. I had no idea this feature existed even though I kept seeing the "local files" link in the desktop client.  /sigh  I guess I should play with the features more, eh?

Anyway, it seems to be working great. Thank you again for pointing this synching ability out, and thanks Spotify folks for adding this. This feature was one of the reasons I was going to switch. So happy to know this already exists in Spotify.  Cheers!

@Weazel wrote:

Why would  you store MP3 on your PC Hard drive, and on your phone?  That defeats of the purpose of the app.  The app will automatically pull the files from your PC, and store them locally in your storage memory (proprietary file format of course.  

The problem is that if music is added to Spotify via app on PC hard drive, the app no longer pulls the files from the PC (tested today) and those songs in the playlist are listed as grey. I don't care if they are added via android or desktop, I just want to be able to listen via android, but spotify won't play music that I own, only what is in their service.

Marked as solution

You need to put local files in playlists and synch them to your android. FAQ details the process.

Thanks... I did a forum search.. searched the support links, etc.. and no luck. So, thanks a lot for the direct link within the FAQ. I also had an issue with my mobile WiFi hotspot... I had device to device communications turned off. >.>

Spotify takes some getting used to but glad you're getting there. I just realised that the FAQ is a bit sparse on local file synching so you might want to check my post here for a more detailed guide.

Enjoy your music!

The main issue is that Spotify should be able to scan the phone's media files and fill in playlists, *then* pull what isn't on the phone from the desktop client as needed.  (Some people do have their songs on both places, because of things like data caps, no connectivity, etc.)

edit: Plus, I don't put every single one of my music files on my phone in playlists.

Suggested posts