Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music Stutter/Lag When Screen is Off

Solved!

Music Stutter/Lag When Screen is Off

Hi, 

when playing songs the music will stutter when the screen turns off, but plays fine when the screen is on.

This happens to downloaded files and streaming if spotify has acces to wifi.

Dont happen to downloaded files when spotify hasnt acces to wifi.

The problem appeared with last update.

I've clean android installation.

It's really annying, I've Spotify premium and can't listen to music on my android. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi all,

Just letting you guys know, I solved the issue on my Nexus 4 by turning off Wi-Fi optimization in the Settings. 🙂

More details here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=46579597

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

27 Replies

I just installed 0.5.11.4 version from APK, and no problem with stuttering.

Can someone upload latest (0.6.6?) APK but not newest one(with bug) please? Thanks!

Just noticed that i'm not only one with this problem http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Audio-slowing-and-dropping-out-since-updating-last-nigh...

I have the same problem and posted likewise in the other post that you link to. One of the 0.7 versions did work properly but its difficult to find all the old APKs and figure out which works and which doesn't. If any new update to Spotify resolves this issue I will post back here..

Thanks for reply.

I Wonder if this bug occurs only with Wildfire S.
Nothing that we can do. Waiting for new release..

I was having that same annoying problem when I remembered that I had recently changed my Wi-Fi Sleep Policy to "When screen turns off". So I changed it back to "Never when plugged in" and it seems to have solved it. The Wi-Fi Sleep Policy screen can be found on Wi-Fi Settings by selecting the Advanced options with the button that brings the context menus (don't know how it's called). I don't know if this application behaviour is to be expected or if it is a bug and should be reported to the developers.

Hope that solves your problem too.

Thanks for advice, but it didn't work for me, problem still occurs.

Hi, I've got the same problem. It ahs been like this for maybe a month now, 2-3 times i've been upgrading spotify to a new version but no change. When my screen turns black the music starts stuttering.

I have also tried the suggestion of re-installation in the FAQ, no improvements there. Apparently it is supposed to work with an older version of Spotify, but i don't know where to find that.

Will this be fixed? I was trying to fill out the contact form to Spotify directly on the webpage, but of course the webpage ended up not working either... It kinda disgusts me that i'm paying premium for something i can only barely use =(

Hi herr_kontrollan,

As far as I can see all of the version 0.7 updates have the same problem for our phones. Are you also using Wildfire S?

All the 0.6 versions of the app work fine, I have tested them all. If you Google something like; Spotify 0.6.6.270 apk you should find a number of links where you can download the APK. 0.6.6.270 is I think the last version of 0.6 before they updated to 0.7. I downloaded from a site called apks(dot)org. 

It is very frustrating that we have this issue. With the amount of money we are paying for premium subscription it is not right for Spotify to only cater for majority/high end devices. I appreciate that developing for Android is not easy (when considering the range of hardware you have to support), but surely they could at least make older stable versions of the app more available.

For now I hope they will either acknowledge this is happening and deal with it in the next version, or at least not block the 0.6 version (as they did with 0.5 I think).

Let me know if you need help finding the old version of the app, or help installing it. I didn't want to post links to external sites here as it's probably against the t&c's of using the site..

Hi. Have you tried contacting support using the contact form ?

@jwylot. I did try a few days ago and like the other poster said, the page crashed on submission. Still, you've reminded me and I've tried again and succeeded this time..

Let me know if it doesn't work.

Marked as solution

Hi all,

Just letting you guys know, I solved the issue on my Nexus 4 by turning off Wi-Fi optimization in the Settings. 🙂

More details here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=46579597

Hope this helps!

Breaking News!

Spotify just upgraded from 0.6.6.270 to newest version 0.7.2.402
Guess what? Still stuttering..so again, downgrading to 0.6.6.270 😕

Breaking News! [2]

Just upgraded Spotify from 0.6.6.270 to newest version 0.7.4.610.gd7332b3
Guess what? Still stuttering..so again, downgrading to 0.6.6.270 😕

Hi, i used to have a Samsung Galaxy S3 where it started to studder and lag alot, so i thought it might be the phone it self since its been dropped quite some times.

So i went and bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, but spotify still studders and lags, i have tried that troubleshooting guide with wiping off cache etcetc, doesnt work. The N3 has android version 4.3. The phones internal storage have 32GB and 23.75GB free, and the SD-card  is a 16GB Class 10  and it have 10.59GB free storage.

I have tried streaming one playlist (with 49 songs in), i have tried downloading it with various qualities, i have tried the offline mode.

i have tried having the phones wifi both on and off while listening, it still lags and studder quite often.

The new N3 have alot of resources, it have loads of ram, quad-core cpu, so it cant be the phones lack of resources.

Since i bought the N3 one week ago, spotify has a 29% battery usage according to phone battery info listings.

I have also tried downgrading to that 0.6.6-version, that one also studders and lags for me.

Current spotify version installed: 0.7.5.696.g3d38db5a.

My phone have 4G connection.

Hi @FuriousRage While you haven't got too much on your external SD card yet, could you try removing it and reinstalling the spotify app to see if the problem goes away?

Hello jwylot.

I tried this and it still studders for me.

OK, that eliminates SD card issues then. Do you get this happening with other music apps such as the built-in player or Google Play Music? 

the built in as far i know, doesnt studder, but i have not used it alot, since all music i listen to is on spotify and i have only ringtones etc it plays in the built in one. and i have never used google play music either.

I tried everything, even reinstalling android didnt helped. Problem appeared with some version of Spotify. I hope that old version that i'm using will work in future. I can't afford to buy new smartphone, but Spotify is reason i got one..

Suggested posts