Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music playback stops suddenly; Spotify App very unstable

Solved!

Music playback stops suddenly; Spotify App very unstable

When I start playback on my phone, it will work fine for a couple of minutes, but then it crashes. The app doesn't force close or something you would think of now; in fact, only the part of the app responsible for playback seems to crash.

When it happens, music playback stops immediately. If I am on the Now Playing screen when this happens, pressing the Play button will show the triangle, but trigger no action. Pressing it again doesn't do anything. The button doesn't even switch back to the two pause bars. The forward and rewind buttons also have no effect.

If I'm not on the Now Playing screen or press the back button and go there again, no info is displayed. I don't see the album cover, the song's title or anything like that and it just says "Loading ..."

Screenshot

If I wait for a minute or so, I can hear music again for a few seconds, and then it stops again.

Sometimes, forcing the app to close lets me listen to music again for a few minutes, sometimes I need to reboot my phone. Only in rare cases Music plays for more than a few minutes.

The issue only occurs when I play music on the device. Just browsing Spotify without listening to music or controlling another device using spotify connect do not trigger the issue. Local playback is required for the error to happen.

What I have tried to fix this problem:

• Restart Spotify
  • Reboot Phone
  • Delete everything from the app settings and download everything again
  • Uninstall Spotify and reinstall it again from the Play Store
  • Spend hours trying and searching the internet

I have the feeling that the problem occurs less often when I go offline, though I'm not sure. It doesn't completely save me from this.

I am using a rooted Samsung Galaxy Note (GT-N7000) with Cyanogenmod 11 and Android 4.4.4 Kitkat. I have the most recent Spotify version installed and use Premium since April 2013.

Recently, I upgraded my external SD card from 32 GB to 64 GB, but I don't know anymore if this is also the time when the issue started happening or if I did this some time before or after. Because I use the old SD card with my Nintendo 3DS now, Copying all the files back to test this would mean so much work that I haven't tried it yet.

Also, I do not have any cleaning apps or task killers installed.

This is an error I am encountering almost every time when I try to listen to music from Spotify on my android device. I've had it for a pretty long time, but only once every few weeks, so I didn't care much. But about one month ago, it started happening almost every time and it is totally frustrating. Please help me!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Can you try a clean install following the guide linked below... I have a feeling some cache is left over.

[GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@Rapti wrote:

This is kind of wierd. I've done exactly the steps in the guide before, except for checking for the folders manually and reboot. But when I checked if the folders still existed, none of them were there, so I can assume that the reboot was the thing that fixed the issue. Strange.

But the important thing is that it is working now again. Thanks!

Brilliant, glad it's back working OK for you... Good point on the reboot... it's sometimes such a simple step to take, but is often overlooked.

Android Troubleshooting:

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hi there, welcome to the Spotify Community.

I had the same issue on my Android phone, but on iOS I don't have the problem. This is no solution but it's just that you're not the only one. It happened to me when I didn't use Spotify for a specific time. It was when my CPU was overloaded. Can you see what your CPU is doing or if your memory is full?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Kind regards,
Felix

-- Please mark as solution and/or add kudos if it helped you --
Marked as solution

Can you try a clean install following the guide linked below... I have a feeling some cache is left over.

[GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Android Troubleshooting:

This is kind of wierd. I've done exactly the steps in the guide before, except for checking for the folders manually and reboot. But when I checked if the folders still existed, none of them were there, so I can assume that the reboot was the thing that fixed the issue. Strange.

Marked as solution

@Rapti wrote:

Brilliant, glad it's back working OK for you... Good point on the reboot... it's sometimes such a simple step to take, but is often overlooked.

Android Troubleshooting:

Suggested posts