Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

Google Nest Hub Max

Operating System

Cast Firmware: 1.56.276689

My Question or Issue

When asking google to play spotify music, the hub correctly plays the song. The GUI however appears to be broken. The timeline slider never disappears and instead shows the incorrect time of the song being played and covers the album cover and title. The timeline correctly disappears for podcasts, but not for songs. Restarting or re-adding Spotify to the device does not solve the issue. Photos of GUI behaviour for both podcast and song playback attached below:

GUI when song is initially playing:

IMG_20211209_121548.jpg 

GUI when song has been playing for a while without interaction, album cover and title lowers while timeline stays in same place.

IMG_20211209_121538.jpg

Correct playback behaviour when playing podcasts, timeline disappears and album art shown alone:

IMG_20211209_121631.jpg

  

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @OllieHD,

Thanks for your post.

We've checked this internally and the GUI issue should be fixed in the latest update. We recommend clearing all app data/ cache and check whether you can update your app.

Additional fixes have been implemented into version 5.7.2, so you should now see an improvement on the track duration display as well 🙂

Hope you find this information helpful.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Hey there @SheepishBacon

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Could you let us know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update? 

On another note, we'd like to know if this issue occurs with other streaming apps as well. 

Lastly, we suggest that you try to unlink and relink your Spotify account in the Google Home app to see if that makes the difference. 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi Eni,

I only recently purchased the nest hub max; this issue has been prevalent since it arrived. This issue is not present in any other apps on the device and, as mentioned in my post, is not even present during podcast playback from Spotify.

My gut says the issue is something to do with the suggestions appearing below the playback bar. These suggestions are not present during podcast playback and neither are the GUI issues.

Unlinking and relinking my Spotify account does not do anything to fix this issue.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need any more information from my side.

Hey @SheepishBacon,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you try restarting your router by unplugging it for a couple of minutes? Then, try restarting the Nest Hub.

Additionally, make sure that there aren't any pending updates on your device.

Keep us in the loop.

CarlosEModerator

I have the exact same problem on all 3 of my nest hub devices. All are brand new and only set up within the last week. This has been the experience for me since day one and I put it down to poor GUI design, but it actually does appear to be a UI defect.

This is not isolated as i can reproduce on all 3 of my devices, 1 x max hub 2 x 2nd gen hubs.

The playbar overlaps the artwork and the preview tiles below are difficult to access as the UI issues cause the hub controls to pop up. It's incredibly frustrating for a product to work like this out of the box.

Also how would unplugging a router fix a GUI issue? Sounds like generic advice that won't actually do anything. The router will not impact how the UI renders on a stand alone piece of hardware.......

Hey @mdbrennan,

Thanks for the replies.

Since we can only troubleshoot remotely, we need to narrow down all possible fixes for this issue and check what might be causing it.

It would be helpful if you let us know if this is happening for all content - songs, playlists, albums, Radio and podcasts?

Cheers. 

AlexModerator

Hi Alex,

Good to know this isn't isolated to just my own device, given mdbrennans experience.

I have already attempted a full reset of my nest hub, a reset of my router and other basic troubleshooting steps, nothing has fixed this issue.

Referring to my original post and subsequent posts, I mentioned and showed pictures of behaviour in both music playback and podcast playback. The issue is not present during podcast playback, only music playback. Music playback of any sort shows the same issue, regardless of whether from a playlist, album, artist, radio etc.

Hope that helps!

I am seeing the same thing on my Nest Hub 1st and 2nd Gens. The 2nd Gen is brand new as of last week as well. I have tried factory resetting them both but no luck. If I tap the screen it will push the text and album cover back into the correct location but it will drop back down after 10 seconds. 

I have also noticed that the song length doesn't update after the 1st song is played, I'm not sure if others are seeing this issue as well? 

20211220_085922.jpg
Marked as solution

Hey @OllieHD,

Thanks for your post.

We've checked this internally and the GUI issue should be fixed in the latest update. We recommend clearing all app data/ cache and check whether you can update your app.

Additional fixes have been implemented into version 5.7.2, so you should now see an improvement on the track duration display as well 🙂

Hope you find this information helpful.

AlexModerator

I still have the same issue with a freshly installed Google Nest Hub (installed and updated yesterday). So everything clean and new, but still the same issue like explained in the original comment of this topic: the sliders and controls are not disappearing.

@mdbrennan,
@OllieHD,

is the issue fixed for you? How did you finally fix it?

Thank you!

Hi @hafual,

Thanks for posting on the Community,

Could you send us the exact make/model (generation) of your device, along with the Cast Firmware and Spotify version installed? 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply!

CarlosEModerator

Hi, am having the same issue, the screen goes dark and cannot play spotify, looks like an issue with casting. My device is google nest hub max, Spotify Version: 8.7.16.1354, Cast Firmware: 1.56.290465

Hello @CarlosE,

Google Nest Hub 2nd Generation

Firmware version: 290464

Cast firmware version: 1.56.290464

@CarlosE, @Andre322: where can I find the Spotify app version in the Google Home app?

Best regards,

hafual

@CarlosE any update?

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your replies. 

We recommend that you update Spotify to the latest version and make sure your device's firmware (and cast firmware) is up to date too. 

After checking this, let us know if the issue still persists from your end (even when logging in with a different account if possible)

Lastly, you can find the app version on your device settings, or within the Spotify settings.

We'll stay tuned. 

AndresMModerator
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Just wanted to chime in that this is still an issue regarding the display on my Nest Hub 7" 2nd Gen. When starting a new song, Spotify will momentarily hide the seek bar and the other album suggestions at the bottom, but then they'll open right back up and not go away for a few minutes before it's done all over again. 

Suggested posts