Country

UK

Device

Samsung S7 Edge

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

Hello folks,

I'm new to this streaming malarky and I'm not a spring chicken either, I'm 52 years old. 

I've just got a ChromeCast Audio. When I play a track in Spotify it's fine. When I search for an artist or album and select a track from the list, I hit the play icon, the track that's playing stops, the play icon turns into a pause icon, a circle gradually appears around the icon then the track that was playing before continues.

Thing is it works on my Samsung Galaxy tablet. As soon as I click the play icon the track starts.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @GMC_Phil,

Thanks for clearing that out. 

Because that's what usually happens on the free version when you select a track, the same thing would appear on any song and only 30 seconds of it would play then it would stop.

You solved the issue and that's what matters 🙂

Have a great day!

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Hey @GMC_Phil, welcome to the Community.

Hope you are doing great!

Play songs on demand is a Premium feature only and that's the reason that is happening on your mobile. The user experience is a bit different on mobile and the desktop versions though even if you are on the free tier.

Hope it helps 🙂

Thanks but it works fine on my Samsung tablet. I just click a song and it plays it right away.

Thanks

Phil

Hey @GMC_Phil,

Yes as I mentioned in my previous post, the experience is a bit differrent in tablets and desktop apps of Spotify, even on the free tier you can play any song on demand 🙂

If you need help with anything else don't hesitate to ask 🙂

So the version of the app is different for my mobile phone and my mobile tablet? 

It works on my desktop except for the volume control (ctrl and up/down arrows) but I'm not too bothered about the PC.

Not completely, they still do the same thing, have the same look, only that the apps on your tablet and desktop have some advantages over the mobile one 🙂

So there is no way of playing on demand on my phone but I can on my tablet?

Thanks for your help 🙂

Yes @GMC_Phil,

That's the difference between them 🙂

Well I've just reinstalled on my phone and now I get pay on demand just like my tablet. 

Strange

Thanks. 

Hey @GMC_Phil,

That's a Premium feature only. If you upgraded to Premium then you can do that on your phone too 🙂

But on the free plan can only listen through Shuffle Mode, which let's you listen to full tracks but playing them in a random order.

Hope it helps!

Now I just reinstalled free account.. I have tried through chromecast though as I'm not at home.

I really don't understand why a premium feature would be free to use on a tablet. 

Thanks

Phil

I think I've been misunderstanding you based on my initial question where it would not play a track when selecting it. Now it does sheet the reinstall but they are listed as shuffle. I can select any track now and it will play immediately.. Before, when I selected the play icon on the track, it turned to a pause, stopped the current track, a halo would generate around the pause symbol, when the halo was complete the play symbol reappeared bit the track wouldn't play, it would carry on playing the track it was playing before.

It's working fine now. 

Thanks

Phil

Marked as solution

Hey @GMC_Phil,

Thanks for clearing that out. 

Because that's what usually happens on the free version when you select a track, the same thing would appear on any song and only 30 seconds of it would play then it would stop.

You solved the issue and that's what matters 🙂

Have a great day!

Yes I fixed it but, as you say it only plays 30 seconds..i was just clicking to test  So on the tablet at home still it play full songs?

Thanks and sorry for the confusion, I'm getting old lol. 

Phil

Hey @GMC_Phil,

Yes on mobile you play on demand but you will just listen to a 30 seconds preview. While on your tablet you can play songs on demand normally.

Lol, we all are 😆

Have a great day!

Thanks for clarifying  What is the reason for this? A tablet is pretty much as mobile as a phone. I find it very odd. 

Phil

Suggested posts