Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No SD storage option

Solved!

No SD storage option

Hi,

I have a SD card, set as external memory with lots of Space empty, but there is not the storage option in the app settings.

I tried to format the SD card, to close the app, to reinstall it etc, but it still doesn't work.

I don't have enough space left in the internal memory to download my songs, so I'm stuck now...

If someone know the solution it'll be great.
Thank you

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Thanks for the information @CharlesMaurras. Can you just check that spotify has permission to access the SD card in application manager. If it doesn't, turn the permission on and restart your phone. If you still don't see the storage option in spotify settings, it may be a similar issue to that seen on other Mediatek devices in the past so it's worth trying this solution:

1. Stop Spotify (Settings -> Apps -> Spotify)
  2. Manually create a folder /storage/sdcard1/Android/data
  3. Copy 'com.spotify.music' and all subdirectories from internal storage to '/storage/sdcard1/Android/data'
  4. Open Settings -> Apps -> Spotify then tap 'Clear Data'
  5. Restart Spotify and log back in again
  6. Set Download quality to 'Extreme'
  7. Try downloading a large playlist

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Apparently you should set your external memory as standard, then reinstall Spotify. Also check if Spotify is allowed to acces the SD card

View solution in original post

34 Replies

Hi, I had the same problem too with a phone I used to have, it had very little internal space but it had an external SD card. Phones save spotify data to the main drive of your phone, if your phone has built in hard drive, it is saving the spotify information to that location, which is what it is supposed to do. 

Now I cant speak for the company Spotify, but my understanding is that you cant save the spotify music files onto an SD card because the file format that Spotify uses is unique and only able to be used by the program Spotify.

When it saves music info onto your phone or computer, it does so to save time and bandwidth so your not constantly streaming the same songs you listen to over and over again.

You cant lets say try to save a playlist of songs you like onto your SD card and then give it to your friend so he can download them. You cant do that. But you shouldnt want to do that when you can simply tell your friend to download Spotify and like your playlist and then BAM he has the same playlist on his device

Follow me

Hey, could you post the following information please:

• Phone make/model
  • Android version
  • Spotify version
  • Free internal and external storage ( a screen capture of the storage screen would be awesome).

To store offline playlists on your Android SD card, follow these steps:

-- Make sure there’s more free space on your SD card than in your internal storage.

-- Perform a clean reinstallation.

-- Spotify will then automatically sync to the storage with more available space.

I went and searched for SD card issues for you and a moderator had this solution that seemed to help people.

But yeah the make and model of your phone would help alot

Follow me

Wiko Fever
Android 6.0
The Spotify version is in the screenshot

Thank you
Screenshot_20170222-231811.png
Screenshot_20170222-231726.png

Another thing I forgot to mention was that when I tried to do a clean reinstalation of Spotify I couldn't erase the Spotify file in the data

I see your problem, you have selected your internal memory as the default.

Try uninstalling, then change your default drive to your SD card, then install spotify again

Follow me

Erasing the spotify data in your phone is tricky, each phone is different, Have you tried uninstalling spotify, then going into your phones file directory and manually deleting the Spotify files. Its a pain yes, but if when you uninstalled it and it still left the spotify data then the only way to delete it is to manually go into your phones files. Find the Spotify root folder and delete it manually and that should work

Follow me

I've tried to delete the files manualy by the file explorer but I couldn't. It said "impossible to delete the files"

It seems to me that you have a Admin issue on your phone, where you dont have full rights to read/write/erase, or it could be that those spotify files are part of the system files and thats why its not letting you erase them.

How much space do those files take up? if its not alot then just ignore them.

Uninstall Spotify, then Change your default drive to your SD card instead of Internal.

The screenshot you sent shows that you selected it to default to your Internal drive, change that to the SD card.

Then reinstall spotify

Follow me

It weight 4.5 Mo.
I was in external memory as standard in the first place, but changed then reinstalled to see if it'll make a différence. I'm gonna do the opposite now

I've reinstalled the app after setting the internal memory as standard and erasing the cache and the data of the app, but there is still the problem, sorry

nonono, I meant for you to set the default to your SD card.

Uninstall spotify clear the cache and data, set the default to your SD CARD. 

Restart your device, make sure the default is still your SD CARD then install Spotify again

Follow me
Marked as solution

Thanks for the information @CharlesMaurras. Can you just check that spotify has permission to access the SD card in application manager. If it doesn't, turn the permission on and restart your phone. If you still don't see the storage option in spotify settings, it may be a similar issue to that seen on other Mediatek devices in the past so it's worth trying this solution:

1. Stop Spotify (Settings -> Apps -> Spotify)
  2. Manually create a folder /storage/sdcard1/Android/data
  3. Copy 'com.spotify.music' and all subdirectories from internal storage to '/storage/sdcard1/Android/data'
  4. Open Settings -> Apps -> Spotify then tap 'Clear Data'
  5. Restart Spotify and log back in again
  6. Set Download quality to 'Extreme'
  7. Try downloading a large playlist

I'll try that, thanks a lot for the help. I'll let you know if it worked or not

Ok, Spotify hadn't the authorization to access the SD card, thanks a lot Joe. I'm sorry I forgot to check that before asking for help.

Thanks everybody who tried to answer

hi All...I need some help... I´ve tried all the steps and anything works... some weeks ago I had all my music in my SD... suddenly, it never works again, i´m not sure if it happened after the last android update.

Anyways, at the end :

1. I cant see the storage option in settings of spotify

2. I´ve uninstall spotify...restart the device... i try to find the spotify data in the Android folder, but I didn´t find any, so I installed the app again (ver. 7.6.0.1219 armV7)...and nothing changed.

3. I have setted My SD card as internal memory... I´m not sure if the right way is like a portable card?

You have nothing to apologise for. It's sad that spotify can't ask for the permission when it's needed like other well-behaved android apps do. Anyway, glad it's working now 🙂

Marked as solution

Apparently you should set your external memory as standard, then reinstall Spotify. Also check if Spotify is allowed to acces the SD card

Suggested posts