Premium

Country

United States

Device

LG V60

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

Recently, I have been unable to swipe away the Spotify controls notification once I'm done listening. It'll just move over to show the notifications options button. The only way to get rid of the controls notification is to close the app or let Android put the app to sleep after 10-30 mins. This is very annoying as with the Android 11 update, I can only see one notification on my lock screen at a time, and Spotify always takes priority, even if I'm not listening to anything. I have to unlock my phone, scroll over on the multitasking menu, and close the app to dismiss the notification.

Every music app I use either lets me swipe away the controls notification, or gives me the option to close it from the notification. I feel like this must be a bug, but can't resolve the issue or find anyone else with the problem. I've tried deleting cache/data, uninstalling and reinstalling, changing various notification options, but nothing helps.

168 Replies

Utterly ridiculous. Been thinking about moving away from Spotify for a while but this might be the final nail in the coffin.

I just solved it.

As AndresM explained, I went to Spotify notifications' settings, but: I only turned off "Spotify Music" and "Allow notification dot". Now the 'swipe away to close' feature is back.

Did not work for me.

This is clearly an app related issue and Spotifys fault. 

It worked before and since my phone doesn't get any system updates and only the occasional security update if any at all, it cannot be caused by system updates.

Fiddling with notification settings strangely makes the "swipe away" work once and then it doesn't work again. It's hard to reproduce overall. 

And another reason why this is definitely Spotifys fault is: It works in other apps like Amazon Music. Stop music, swipe away, works every time as intended. 

Other players like my audiobook player or Poweramp feature an X to close the notification player.

So, stop beating around the bush and blame others, fix your app, Spotify.

I'm having the same issue everyone describes. I have all the options suggested to turn off as well. Nothing worked except restricting Spotify battery permissions. The banner IS gone for now, which is a relief. It persisted for about 4 days now. We'll see if it causes unintended issues while actually using the app itself, but at this point I'm out if this can't be fixed. Thanks for looking into this. 

Google Pixel 6

Android version 12

I have the Same Problem - S22 5G Android 12.0

I come from IT and have already tried everything. Except for handy-root - because of the guarantee - but I've really tried everything - it must be the program code.

I also come from an IT Background,  obviously there is no fix, I have done everything , there has been updates, but still the same issue, it's disappointing that Spotify could not come up with a fix, or be honest on the reasons, I would appreciate an honest reason from them, but right now I give up,  I will decide if I want to continue my subscription to Spotify I have been with them 6 years now, I will start looking at other streaming services

Agree with you - nothing is happening here - the problem has existed for months and there is also a statement about it - I will go to Deezer or something, but Spotify is dying for me more and more unfortunately.

This is f.joke. Why we need look for standart feature to close app in some kind of forums , try work around id? Canceling premium uninstaling app. Have a nice day.

Spotify: can you add the x for close option in the notifications?

This is ridiculous! A basic functionality that worked fine before, got removed (assuming by mistake or negligence) and since not many users are reporting it, the OS gets the blame and support goes radio silence.

I gave up on it ,  Spotify doesn't want to fix it or they don't see it as an issue,  but they are happy to take your money each month, as for the OS that's a load of bull,  there is much more to this , and Spotify is not being truthful to  customers who are having this issue,

2 months in and Spotify haven't fixed it. If I turn off the notification for playback, then back on, I can swipe it away once. As seen here

https://gfycat.com/deadlyexcitablecoelacanth

I have the exact same issue as everybody else, and like cian2199 just said, if you turn off that notification and then turn it on again, you can swipe it away once. 

It's very frustrating because it proves that this functionality exists, it just doesn't work as it should.

I am really disappointed with Spotify, specially because we are all old subscribers, and after months of this issue we don't even have it fixed.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure it's something basic, if only we got a little attention from developers...

Pls fix it Spotify.

Hi everyone, 

I have the same issue, it started around 2 months ago, but even if I close the app, the playback notification in the lock screen and drop feature on the Home Screen don't go away. I have to reboot the device. 

I couldn't find this topic when I asked for help so my question in in another topic, here.

I'm using a Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro 5G running the MIUI Global 13.0.6. 

Screenshot_2022-06-19-12-31-31-238_com.miui.home.jpg
Screenshot_2022-06-19-12-34-23-087_lockscreen.jpg

Well everything worked before the uppdate 3-4months ago. So that proves that this issue can be fixed if the root cause in the app can be found. As of today, 20th of June this is still a big issue for many spotify users.
One suggestion is to add a small "X" in the notification window in the next update so we can close it again manually

Still no fix Spotify? It's been over 2 months now. Come on and pull your finger out and fix this. 

Issue still present on Google Pixel running latest Android version. Pin media turned off. 100% an application issue it's the only media app it's happening with and was introduced a few months ago. Very annoying. Please address Spotify.

I worked in IT for over 20 years with some of the biggest companies pretty shocking with level of developers expertise Spotify has they cannot resolve this problem, my thinking is it cannot be fixed, I will miss it Spotify I created loads of Playlists, but there is other streaming services that do work , and I am sure if they had this similar issue they would not would drag the issue this long or at least advise their customers what is going on, Spotify has not, when companies do that it means we can't fix it,

I have another music app (run by only one dev) that had the same X issue not showing up in the notifications player, and the dev resolved it by changing the playback component to "ExoPlayer". Don't know if this helps or not; just wanted to share it here. 

Suggested posts