Nvidia Shield Spotify App - Hanging

Nvidia Shield Spotify App - Hanging

Hi Guys,

Having a peculiar issue with the spotify android app on my nvidia shield

Brief description of the issue:

Spotify app seemingly "hanging" when accessing the network

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Stream Music (Any Playlist)
  2. After playing a seemingly random number of songs, spotify will hang between finishing one song and playing the next song
  3. Skipping, pausing and playing, changing playlist etc all fail to reset the hang

This issue also occurs occasionally when just navigating playlists... it will occasionally just fail to "load" any more when scrolling through the playlist list, and then playback functionality will not work until it stops hanging.

What steps you’ve tried already:

I have tried reinstalling the app, and logging out and in again, along with restarting the device and resetting the network connection.

I have no issues on any other devices (iphone and android phones, different laptops).

I have also noticed that when this "network hang" occurs, the app just generally fails to load any network related items i.e. album art, load new playlists when scrolling etc).

The app itself doesn't hang, but just the network connection it seems, as I am still able to navigate the basic app functions.

Your device and operating system (e.g. Samsung Galaxy 4, 5.1.1): Nvidia Shield

Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium): Premium

The app version of Spotify you’re using: Spotify Music for Android TV 1.0

2 Replies

To add to this post:

A weird behaviour I have seen is that when the app has hung on the nvidia device, the playback time is out of sync when I open the spotify app on my phone.

I.e. The Android TV app states playback at 0:01/2:30 whereas my phone states playback at 0:48/2:30. When I skip tracks or go back to the beginning, all the songs are listed as starting at 0:48 on my phone, but 0:01 on the tv. Very odd behaviour.

Having a similar issue, except the Spotify application doesn't play anything anymore on the Shield device. I tried to restart it many times, to no avail. It just does nothing. I'm quite frustrated by the absence of any solution. Seems I have to switch streaming service or buy a standalone Spotify-only device (does that exist?). This is a lot of burden to handle these issues and I would like something more stable. This is the second time Spotify breaks like this. It stopped working on my Yamaha audio/video receiver (playback is stopping all the times even over Ethernet), and now that Shield device, also wired over Ethernet, so no random wi-fi issue.  I cannot accept the only solution is to give up on my home theater speakers and only listen to music through headphones using a phone, this is NOT the way to go. Spotify should work on all devices or not at all.

Suggested posts