Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Offline mode data usage

Solved!

Offline mode data usage

Firstly, I am buying a new phone and I want to know whether I can get away with just 500mb and making loads of playlists and only listening to spotify in offline mode.

I am aware that listenning to offline mode does not use any data but does it use much data to save a playlist to my phone?

Does anyone have any advice? How much data does it take to create a decent sized library in playlists?

Secondly, my new phone will not have very much storage, and I intend to buy a memory card in order to create my library of playlists. Is this easy to do? Is this the right way to go about this? Might be a dumb question but dont wanna get this wrong!

thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey, welcome to the Community.

I suggest a 32 GB memory card. However you may be fine with 16 GB card too. The mermory needed is depending on your choose. The Extreme quality need more space than high or much more than normal quality.

To download playlist you need a lot data. I suggest a Wifi network for this. Extreme quality, for example, use a storage/data for example 2.4 MB per minute. So keep in mind you still need a lot Internet before you can download a playlist to Offline.

Quality 96 kbps => 0.72 MB per minute.
Quality 160 kbps => 1.2 MB per minute.
Quality 320 kbps => 2.4 MB per minute.

A Wifi network is suggested, but you can use a 3G/4G too. However your data plan may be out in just some hours... I have Unlimited internet.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Thanks thats loads of help!

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey, welcome to the Community.

I suggest a 32 GB memory card. However you may be fine with 16 GB card too. The mermory needed is depending on your choose. The Extreme quality need more space than high or much more than normal quality.

To download playlist you need a lot data. I suggest a Wifi network for this. Extreme quality, for example, use a storage/data for example 2.4 MB per minute. So keep in mind you still need a lot Internet before you can download a playlist to Offline.

Quality 96 kbps => 0.72 MB per minute.
Quality 160 kbps => 1.2 MB per minute.
Quality 320 kbps => 2.4 MB per minute.

A Wifi network is suggested, but you can use a 3G/4G too. However your data plan may be out in just some hours... I have Unlimited internet.

Marked as solution

Thanks thats loads of help!

Normally Spotify shouldn't use a lot of data when playing playlists saved to your phone but there is a bug in the spotify app which uses A LOT of data in the background.

If you are on ICS you can get around this by doing as I describe in this post: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Spotify-Android-app-using-a-LOT-of-data-on-3G/m-p/876...

Before I did this Spotify was burning through almost 100mb daily playing offline music.. So be carefull if you have a data plan..

why is no one concerned about the security implications of this rogue data?  the data could be literally ANYTHING!  no one knows what it is or where it is going to/coming from.

does anybody know why i have to sync my offline playlists everytime i start my pc?

Cheers hpguru,

Didn't think for a second that this would impact on my phone's memory, stupidly!

Rich

---

Twitter: @RichArrowsmith

@personanongrata wrote:

why is no one concerned about the security implications of this rogue data?  the data could be literally ANYTHING!  no one knows what it is or where it is going to/coming from.

Hey there and very warm welcome to the Spotify Community ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for your question.

Data is coming from Spotify servers in Spotify Mobile. In Desktop also P2P is used.

If any problems with Spotify in future, just come back and let me know. I will help you.

Greetings,
Jyri

@torbenblak wrote:

does anybody know why i have to sync my offline playlists everytime i start my pc?

Hey there and thanks for your question ๐Ÿ™‚

Do not worry. I can help you with this issue.

First, try to reinstall app. You need then redownload all content. This may fix any problems with cache. Also check carefully: are you really forced to resync ALL content? If just some tracks, there is no need to worry: Spotify is updating 160 kbps content to 320 kbps content.

Greetings,
Jyri

There is also an ongoing issue with playlists being unavailable when you start the client without an internet connection which has been escalated to the Spotify team. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Quick question for you. Do you know if data is used when you're in online mode listening to playlists you have saved to be available in offline mode?

@user-removed wrote:
Quick question for you. Do you know if data is used when you're in online mode listening to playlists you have saved to be available in offline mode?

Hey there.

If you use Spotify with internet in Online mode, but playlist is Offlined, no data is used to stream playlist content.

However P2P is used to share this content. If you want to block this, enable full Offline mode.

First time poster so be kind...

I love spotifuggle, think its great. The app is a bit wonky by good. I have a huge problem tho, hopefully you can help;

I have a Samsung Galaxy S 2 phone, I have had the app for about 6 months now, I'm a premium user and pay โ‚ฌ9.99

a month. I live in Dublin,Ireland and am on the O2 network.

I use the app in offline mode when I'm out and about it's great but my monthly bills were going up and up and I couldn't figure it.

I rarely go online and my texts and minutes are well below usage and have many to spare every month. It seems after reading 

many posts here and elsewhere that there is a bug in the Android app that causes this anomaly. It didn't really bother me as it was 

only a few quid. That was Dublin tho, New York is a different story.

I was in New York two weeks for work and on my very first day I had to take a one hour train journey and after twenty minutes I got an

alert to say my data usage for the month had been used up. This was purely by using the Spotify app in offline mode. I followed the alerts to give myself more data and after two days I gota text to say that I had amased a bill of over โ‚ฌ200 on data usage alone.

I stopped Spotify and to be honest, I haven't turned it back on once since. I explained this issue to O2 who said (rightly so) this isn't there problem so take it up with Spotify. So, here I am. I'm minutes away from canceling this service. I know โ‚ฌ120 isn't a lot to Spotify in the great scheme of things but it is a lot of money to me and if I have to supplement it even more for the privilege, what's the point?

Any help?

Thanks.

Hey! Welcome to the community ๐Ÿ™‚

If you want to discuss reimbursement for your issue or anything else do with your account or billing, you will need to get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to access your case on a one to one basis. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Peter

Its not about reimbursement, I want to know if there is a fix to this, its crazy that it happens. Any ideas?

Its not something which I have seen being reported as much with recent android versions. 

There are several work arounds which might work for you on the bugs topic, like this one

Peter

Peter

Hi new to Spotify,

So if i turn my offline mode on and drive about in my car listening to the saved tracks/playlists... will it still use data??

Because i would of thought being in offline mode wouldnt use any data outside of wifi ???

All replys appreciated, thanks ๐Ÿ˜„

@dragrallydrift wrote:
Hi new to Spotify,

So if i turn my offline mode on and drive about in my car listening to the saved tracks/playlists... will it still use data??

Because i would of thought being in offline mode wouldnt use any data outside of wifi ???

All replys appreciated, thanks ๐Ÿ˜„

You are 100% correct. Save tracks for Offline use and no data will be used

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Suggested posts