Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback isn't paused when answering calls [Android]

Solved!

Playback isn't paused when answering calls [Android]

Hi,
from a couple of days spotify won't stop playing music when an incoming call arrives.
So I hear both call and music that is very annoying
I have to close the application manually.
Anyone have the same problem and have an idea how to fix it ?
Thank you so much

164 Replies

I thought the 

Device: Samsung S6 Edge+

Android version: 5.1.1

I do not see anywhere to turn off battery optimization for just Spotify... It's optimization is either off or on by a toggle switch for battery saver mode. Anyone else see how to not turn it off for just Spotify? I'm on an LG G3 running Android 5.1.1

The upgrade to Spotify helped temporarily... Last night the bug resumed.

Thanks for this,

although, like a few others, I don't have that option on my phone. I looked for similar solutions, but nothing.

So, it might be a solution for some, and for what I've read on this thread, a temporary one, so I don't think we should consider this as a solution.

Thanks all the same! 🙂

Is it possible to change the status of this thread? Take away the "SOLVED" icon? Cause it's not.

I have the same issue on my Nexus 6 using Android 6.0. Whenever I'm listening to Spotify (which is whenever I'm driving) and someone calls me, the music continues to play when I answer. It happens whether I answer using Bluetooth or the handset.

Also, when I turn my car off and the Bluetooth disconnects, the music continues to play via the phones speakers.

Super annoying. I've tried reinstalling and making sure Spotify has proper permissions on the phone. I even did a factory reset on my phone to solve a different issue and this problem has remained.

Is this a known issue that is being worked on?

I have the same issue with Xperia Z2 and Spotify ver. 4.2.0.739.

i'm having the same issue with my new LG G4, latest lollipop 

never had the issue a couple of months ago when i was running spotify off of my Samsung Galaxy S3 

can anyone figure this out? 

Hi, I have the same issue with à Nexus 5 running Android 6.0.

The problem is disturbing and not solved at all ! The problem has to be fixed.

We could have a message from the team to let us know if you are actually currently fixing it ?

LG g4 here and the latest update (4.2.0.739) definitely fixed it for me, haven't had a problem since

I just wanted to post that disabling battery optimization for Spotify resolved my issues.  (Nexus 6, Android 6.0)

In Android Settings (not spotify) I went to Battery, and then tapped the 3 dots in the top right side to open the menu, and then selected Battery optimization.  After that, I turned it off for Spotify and didn't have any of the issues yesterday.  I'll report back if this changes.

Thanks for suggesting this mnpeter!

So disabling battery optimization worked for a day, and now the problem still happens 50% of the time.

I accepted a post about the new update as a solution, because it seemed to fix the problem. But today I just had it happen again - I unplugged my 3.5 mm audio cable from my phone at my work station while Spotify was playing softly through my computer speakers and WAM! Music was blaring from my phone. Spotify didn't stop playing when cable was removed as it is supposed to. I haven't had anyone call recently while I've been listening to Spotify, so I don't know yet if that has also reemerged as a problem.

I really wish Spotify could permanently fix this. It's a major problem with the app and makes it almost unusable.

Samsung Galaxy S5 with Android 5.0

@jimblatzheim 

I believe this may be a separate issue. It sounds lke it has more to do with the issue I posted about music still playing from the phone when a bluetooth connection is lost.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Android-app-doesn-t-pause-when-bluetooth-connection-is...

Post over on that room, if you don't mind and click the "Me too" button if you think it applies. 

I can rename the thread to include 3.5mm audio connections as well. Let me know.

Disabling battery optimization does not work for me, too. Music keeps playing when I answer a call on a bluetooth device.

Moto X - Android 6

You guys should post the version of spotify you have as well, the 4.2.0.739 update fixed it for most people

Please take off the "Solved" text. this is misleading. We're still having this problem even after trying the "solution" posted. Also when I disconnect from my car or headphones then my phone continues to play music. It should pause when bluetooth connection drops.

@cakewipe

good call. Also, I mentioned above, I started another thread about pausing when bluetooth connections drop. I'm thinking this may be a different issue. Who knows, I've never worked on android apps. 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Android-app-doesn-t-pause-when-bluetooth-connection-is...

@lunchboxdc

It's not just a blutooth issue. This morning I started my podcast player (BeyondPod) while Spotify was running and Spotify kept running over the podcast. I was not connected to blutooth. That never happened until the last month or so. Spotify is just not shutting down/pausing when it's supposed to, whether it's unplugging a 3.5 mm cable, receiving a phone call or starting another audio app. SUPER OBNOXIOUS. I have the latest update - 4.2.0.739 - and that did seem to fix it for a few days. But, for whatever reason, I'm having the same problems again and I'm obviously not the only one. 

I don't know how these forums work. Will anyone from Spotify even see these complaints after a solution has been accepted? Do we need to start another thread and link back to this one?

Well after a couple weeks with the new update, the problem is back. Was listening to music on my headphones, got a phone call, music didn't stop

Suggested posts