Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback widget remains active even after Spotify app has been closed

Playback widget remains active even after Spotify app has been closed

1. Plan

Premium

Country

Ireland

Device

Samsung Galaxy S20 FE

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

Whenever I close the Spotify app on my device, the playback widget remains active in the drop-down notification panel meaning I have to manually remove it. The widget is also automatically active when I restart my phone. This is very annoying because the widget takes up quite a lot of space in the notification panel and I would rather it not be there when I am not using it. When the widget is active in the notification panel it is also active on the lock screen where it similarly takes up a lot of space.

15 Replies

Hey there @KevC97

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community, and welcome 🙂

We'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app. This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be causing trouble. 

Keep us posted on how it goes.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

I tried the clean reinstall and it worked initially. However, it seems to
have only worked once as the issue continued to persist on subsequent tests.

Hey @KevC97

Thanks for your reply. 

If possible, could you try logging in to your account using a different Android phone to see if you can replicate this issue?

It would also be helpful to know the exact Spotify version you're currently running. 

We'll be on the lookout.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi,

So I logged in on my old device (Samsung Galaxy A5 2017) and the issue did
not occur. I am using Spotify version 8.6.36.1070.

Hey @KevC97,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop 🙂

It's a good idea to check if the app is up-to-date with these steps.

In case you're using any battery optimization or power saving apps, you can deactivate them for Spotify.

Let us know how it goes.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

This problem will probably never fixed. I'm dealing with this since 2 years now. 

Hi there @Shampain,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you dismiss it in any way?

You can also try turning Spotify notifications off and on from the phones settings.

Keep us posted 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

It disappears on its own after a long time, about a few hours. Otherwise, only a device restart will help.
Everything else does not work. It's annoying, but as I said, I've been living with it for 2 years and have got used to it.

Hi again @Shampain,

Thank you for your confirmation.

Can you let us now if this occurs when you open the app again?

We also suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app to make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Yes it occurs. Only solution is to restart your phone. Every time I use Spotify it occurs again. Sometimes It doesn't vanishing even after a day.

Hi @Shampain,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

Could you let us know the make, model and OS version of your phone, along with the Spotify version you're currently running?

Also, can you log in with another account, such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists?

Keep us posted!

JulianModerator

Hi,

so I found a workaround which worked for me but I do not know, if this works for you too, I definitely recommend submitting this solution to the developers of Spotify, they can surely derive a final solution from it:

1) Plug your phone to your computer without allowing transfert files or photos (keep "charge only" mode)

2) Go in phone's settings => My Device => All specs => Tap 7~10 times on the "MIUI Version" tile (until you see "You are now a developer" message)

3) Go back in main settings menu => Additional settings => Developer options (at the bottom) => Enable "USB debugging (Security Settings)" option then enable "USB debugging" option (tick then "OK" to confirm)

4) A pop-up will ask you to authorize ADB via USB => Allow

5) On your computer, open a command-prompt window and type this command: adb devices

6) If you see - for the last line - something like this: 12345678________device then you can continue! 

7) Type this command: adb shell settings put secure qs_media_resumption 0

😎 Done! You can unplug your phone from your computer and disable "USB debugging (Security Settings)" and "USB debugging" options (in developer options page). Then you can also hide the "Developer options" menu => Disable the first option in developer options page then tap "back arrow" icon (top-left) 2 times.

Hey @Shampain,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

We appreciate you taking the time to share this workaround. We'll make sure to pass this feedback on to the right folks.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

i'm having multple issues that started yesterday, 7/11/22. samsung galaxy s20+.
The widget has started showing under media output, instead of the stand alone spotify widget. it gets stuck on old previous songs and sometimes the buttons won't work when pressed. 

Additionally, when i am playing content, there are random pauses. Sometimes the content will start back and other times it remains paused until i manually restart it. This is happening every 5-15 minutes. 

Carlos,  This problem still exists.   Are you aware of any effort or steps that can be taken to correct this issue? 

I recently (July 25th, 2023) had the action injury (or at least generate ongoing pain in) my left ear because Spotify began playing - automatically - in my ear at maximum volume.  The volume was set high because of phone calls in which I had gradually increased the volume to hear the phone call. 

Even though Spotify had not been used for more than 24 hours (maybe closer to 48 hours), Spotify began playing without allowing me an opportunity to adjust the volume.  When I use music apps, I check the volume (lowering the volume) before starting the app or I do not have the ear bud in my ear(s) prior to starting the app.  I like to allow myself an opportunity to check the volume. 

After I had been using my phone for calls, Spotify began playing - without my request to play - with the volume set to maximum, which was unexpected and caused my ear to hurt and throb.

Any information on how to resolve this action by Spotify will be greatly appreciated. 

Suggested posts