Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Please help me convert from Google Music All Access

Please help me convert from Google Music All Access

It's been a couple years since I've used Spotify but I'm at my wits end with Google. All I want is ALL of the music I want to listen to synced to ALL of my devices easily. No small task of course. And Google Music does it but the app has so many quirks and bugs that I can't stand it anymore. And it's suddenly an issue because I no longer have unlimited data on my phone.

The single biggest issue here is how terribly GM syncs its music. I manually to through and tell it to download 1000 albums, one at a time, and then try to remember to do that every time I add an album to my library on each of my devices. A huge PITA, and then it either fails in the middle of downloading and I have to start over or it randomly drops some or all of my albums and I don't know it till I'm on the road and can't play them. 

... and the biggest hangup is trying to find an alternative is Tool. No streaming service has it and if I can't upload it myself it's an absolute dealbreaker. I don't want to just copy the files to my SD card, I want to sync them automatically and have them available no matter what device I'm on. I can't find a foolproof, easy way to do this with Spotify. Is it possible? The other option is Prime Music but their library is a joke so forget that. I also think I read about a 3333 song limit which would also be a dealbreaker.Is it true?

1 Reply

The total limit is about 10,000 tracks, but that's split evenly between three devices, meaning, yes, you can only have 3,333 tracks from Spotify's catalog downloaded per device. However, you can download as many local tracks as you want; they don't count towards your quota.

As far as bands like Tool that aren't available for streaming are concerned, the only way to sync them from Spotify is locally, meaning you have to sync your local tracks over WiFi to each device you want them on. Spotify doesn't have cloud storage at this time, so you wouldn't be able to upload them and simply stream them from other devices.

Granted, I love the service or I wouldn't be here, but the idea with Spotify is more figuring out what you're in the mood for now, and syncing it for offline listening when you need it; not so much, syncing your entire library at once if it's a particularly large library.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts