Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium subscriber not able to open spotify

Solved!

Premium subscriber not able to open spotify

Hello,

I had this problem before, but waiting a few days and deleting/reloading the Spotify app seemed to work; but, not this time! 

I can't get Spotify to work on my android.  When I click on the Spotify app I get this message:  Unfortunately, Spotify has stopped.

I deleted and reinstalled the app, did a hard reset on my phone, and have waited patiently (hoping a few days would fix the problem if it were a system issue).  It's been more than a week and still no success.

What am I doing wrong?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi,

What Phone and version of Android are you running? Do you have a custom ROM or are rooted at all?

Can you try a clean install but without the SD card in your phone. Still with the SD card removed login and try streaming some music and see if you gets the crashes. Sometimes cheaper or faulty SD cards can corrupt the cache and cause these types of issues.

If it turns out to be the SD card a format of the SD can help. Try formatting it in a PC. Again uninstall Spotify from the phone. Insert the newly formatted SD card and then install Spotify from the Play Store.

This will ensure that the SD card is detected during the installation and the cache location will be set to your SD card as opposed to internal memory.

Let me know how you get on.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Going to pop this over into the android section as you are more likely to get help over there.

What version of android are you using @SourGrapes ?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

Hi,

What Phone and version of Android are you running? Do you have a custom ROM or are rooted at all?

Can you try a clean install but without the SD card in your phone. Still with the SD card removed login and try streaming some music and see if you gets the crashes. Sometimes cheaper or faulty SD cards can corrupt the cache and cause these types of issues.

If it turns out to be the SD card a format of the SD can help. Try formatting it in a PC. Again uninstall Spotify from the phone. Insert the newly formatted SD card and then install Spotify from the Play Store.

This will ensure that the SD card is detected during the installation and the cache location will be set to your SD card as opposed to internal memory.

Let me know how you get on.

Android Troubleshooting:

Thank you, soooo much for replying to my post. 

My phone is a Galaxy 4, Android version 4.4.2, not rooted.

I will try a clean install (with SD Card removed) and go through the rest of your suggestions.  BTW FWIW, streaming music works fine (i.e. iHeartRadio and Pandora), just not Spotify.  ;-(

I will post back, after completing your suggestions.

Again, thank you!!

-Sour

Daniel,

Thank you, so much, for your help.  The SD card must have been the culprit.  My card is a Lexar 16GB MicroSD HC 4.  Is that card not a good card to use with the Androids?

Great. Is it working without the card in? Try giving it a format, see if that helps. Lexar aren't the worst make so it may just be a corrupt segment. I personally have always used SanDisk cards, but they are a bit dearer.

Android Troubleshooting:

It is working without the SD Card.  I reformatted the SD card and all seems to be working fine.  The SD Card must have been corrupt.  hmmm.  I do have a 2 GB SanDisk I used with my old Android.  I may switch to that card, as I don't think I'll need the 16GB, at this time,

If you were here, I'd give you a great big hug and kiss!!  I've got my playlists back!  Thank you!

You're welcome. I'm glad to have helped. Enjoy

Android Troubleshooting:

Suggested posts