Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Problem with android spotify and ethernet?

Problem with android spotify and ethernet?

I have an android media player (same as this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/M8-Amlogic-S802-Quad-Core-Android-4-4-Smart-TV-Box-XBMC-Media-Player-4K-Mira... ) and have noticed that whenever I select a playlist for offline it will just say 'waiting to download'.

I also noticed that my android device was not visible as a device from the desktop PC (my iphone showed up fine, and strangely my iphone could see the android media player box fine).

I switched the android media player box from ethernet to wifi and now the playlists download as expect and the device also shows up in the desktop pc devices list.

Could this please be looked into?

Here is a breakdown in case it help

Using ethernet on android box:

Android box and iphone can see each other, desktop pc only see's iphone, playlists will not download on android box.

Using wifi on android box:

All devices can see each other, playlists download as expected on android box.

8 Replies

Spotify have always quoted "same WiFi network" for syncing, but we get mixed reports on the community of it working / not working via ethernet. Technically it should work as long as both devices are on the same subnet as far as I know.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I'm pretty sure it should work as long as the devices are all on the same subnet - if you have a seperate modem and wireless router, the ethernet connections need to run to the router and not the modem.

I wasnt too worried about the synching part, not being able to download playlists for offline is my main problem.

The devices were all on the same subnet, the only thing that changed from when it wasnt working to when it was working was switching

from using ethernet direct to the adsl modem/router to using wifi which was also to the same modem/router.

Does anybody use spotify with ethernet (not wifi) and android and not get this problem?

I to have this problem. I can't see my android on my desktop which is connected via ethernet. But if I go over to my laptop which is connected via wifi only, I can see my android device in Devices on spotify. Its pretty annoying. It used to work just fine, I don't know what changed.

This problem occurs at my place as well....

I have 2 android mobile devices on WIFI and a Marantz receiver with Ethernet. Same subnet etc...

With the 2 android devices I cannot connect to Marantz. 

With my Ipad, I have no problem to connect to Marantz receiver. 

The Ipad uses Airplay.

It seems, also when reading these forums, that the problems are related to Android-connectivity. 

Let's hope that Spotify can tackle this issue soon...

Folks, don't bother with finding out how to connect Android Spotify with Ethernet: no way! either you turn on wi-fi, or you won't get any streaming!

that's why I switched from Spotify to different free streaming services, which perfectly run on Android with Ethernet (at least, with my Acer Iconia A200).

Those engineers at Spotify must be a bit lazy with coding: they seem to think that no enough people would use Android Spotify under Ethernet, as to make it worth to spend some coding minutes in making it work.

Suggested posts