Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Problems with Android App

Problems with Android App

Hi there,

since the latest update I am having a lot of problems with the android app on the Samsung galaxy s4.

- It is extremly slow (spotify green wheel spinning and spinning), songs / albums, artists take ages to load or do not load

- songs start to play with long time delay, also skip only with long time delay

- search extremly slow or not working

I have deinstalled, cleared cache, etc. - nothing makes it better.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

R

12 Replies

Is it the same on both WiFi & Mobile Internet? can you check using the speedtest.net app that your phone is actually getting a good DL speed?

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I have the exact same problems on my Samsung S4 (GT-I9505) running Android 4.4.4 CyanogenMod.
Got really god speed both on WiFi and 3G/4G in other apps. I get the feeling that I can't find the server or something like that.

spotify is just dead slow and the green circle is just spinning and spinning, and when the lists are showing then I have 5-10 sec delay from press to play. It's bad cuz I want the snappy response and be able to switch song when I want 🙂

Any tips, dev logging or similar?

@tagtstrom wrote:
I have the exact same problems on my Samsung S4 (GT-I9505) running Android 4.4.4 CyanogenMod.
Got really god speed both on WiFi and 3G/4G in other apps. I get the feeling that I can't find the server or something like that.

spotify is just dead slow and the green circle is just spinning and spinning, and when the lists are showing then I have 5-10 sec delay from press to play. It's bad cuz I want the snappy response and be able to switch song when I want 🙂

Any tips, dev logging or similar?

Hi. I've seen someone else have issues on CM. Can you run a Nandroid and then do a full wipe and clean install of CM? 

Just install Spotify and see if it's still happening. If so, try a stock ROM.

Let me know how you get on. You can still restore your Nandroid. So this will help debug

Thanks 

Android Troubleshooting:

I've been having the same issues on my stock S4 for several weeks. Given that I do most of my listening via this phone, I can't justify paying every month for a service that I can hardly use. 

I've had the same (and worse) problems since installing the last update (1.5.0). Spotify won't even load on my OPPO Find 7. It was working fine for weeks, and then immediately after updating it started freezing. I went through all of the clean and reinstall steps multiple times and multiple ways. I also tried installing the previous version (1.4.0) and restoring my data, to no effect. I even did a complete system wipe yesterday and installed a new ROM with the exact same results. Spotify tries to launch, but freezes with nothing but the three lines for the sidebar in the top left corner.

Just for reference, yesterday I was on the Stock OPPO stable ROM. Today I am running OMNI.

@jallenhayslett wrote:

I've had the same (and worse) problems since installing the last update (1.5.0). Spotify won't even load on my OPPO Find 7. It was working fine for weeks, and then immediately after updating it started freezing. I went through all of the clean and reinstall steps multiple times and multiple ways. I also tried installing the previous version (1.4.0) and restoring my data, to no effect. I even did a complete system wipe yesterday and installed a new ROM with the exact same results. Spotify tries to launch, but freezes with nothing but the three lines for the sidebar in the top left corner.

Just for reference, yesterday I was on the Stock OPPO stable ROM. Today I am running OMNI.

Can you try a clean install, but when installing make sure no SD card is in your phone? 

Android Troubleshooting:

Been there and back again a handful of times already.

@jallenhayslett wrote:

Been there and back again a handful of times already.

then I recommend you contact Spotify Support using the form here.

You will get an automated reply at first, however if you need to chase them just reply to the email as it does get monitored.

Android Troubleshooting:

I have the exact same issue on my stock android HTC one m8. Loading anything in the app takes ages to finish, if finishing at all.

Im not experiencing any problems on my Samsung Tab app, Macbook app or Denon receiver. I also reset the app and reinstalled it, but the issue has not been resolved ;(

@debietels wrote:

I have the exact same issue on my stock android HTC one m8. Loading anything in the app takes ages to finish, if finishing at all.

Im not experiencing any problems on my Samsung Tab app, Macbook app or Denon receiver. I also reset the app and reinstalled it, but the issue has not been resolved ;(

Please read the guide linked below for details on getting a completely clean install of the Spotify app. It contains additional troubleshooting steps and this should be the first step and can help resolve issues such as:

- Black screen on startup
- Offline data not storing on SD card
- Random crashes or FC's
- Track degradation or skipping
- Playlists and tracks no longer available

[GUIDE] First step of troubleshooting - Clean Install

Android Troubleshooting:

Like almost everyone else here, I have also been moving my songs from Spotify into Google Play Music. All of my playlists are downloaded onto an SD card which has a 40mb/s read rate.

Android Spotify Load Times:

Opening App - 15 seconds

Loading 7 Playlist Names - 20 seconds

Playing First Song - 30 seconds

Bluetooth Disconnect * Reconnect - 90 seconds

Google Play Music Load Times:

Opening App - 6 seconds

Loading 6 Playlists - 5 seconds

Playing First Song - 3 seconds

No BT disconnect & reconnect needed

Here is why I think this lag happens.

1. Spotify doesn't hire good coders

2. Spotify is extremely resource intensive

3. Spotify doesn't know how to integrate with Android

4. Spotify only cares about record labels and checks all your song licenses before it will play anything or load even if the song is downloaded

I'm getting this too......so weary of this

Suggested posts