Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Publish Activity Issue

Publish Activity Issue

I have a Nexus 6P, and am using Spotify premium. I've looked over every inch of the Settings tab and can't find how to toggle off the "Publish my activity on Spotify tab."

I also use Spotify on my desktop, and I see it toggled on there. I toggle it off, but it keeps toggling itself back on almost immediately and I'm thinking that's most likely because the phone's setting is set to on. However, as I mentioned, there is no toggle in Settings on my mobile version of Spotify to turn off.

10 Replies

I believe the only way to do that is to turn on Private Session in the settings. Let me know if that works for you. 

I understand that the Private Session function hides activity, but that's only temporary. I have plenty of friends that don't need to set Private Sessions, and their activity is never shared. Using Private Session works for 6 hours and then it goes back to publishing. I know there are people who don't need to do that, and I'd really rather not need to remember to set Private Session every 6 hours.

So, the toggle turning itself back on to Publish Activity is an intended feature and there's no solution outside of Private Session?

Excellent engineering.

I have escalated the issue to see if someone with more experience can help us out.

Hey @dfeuling,

The setting to publish your activity on Spotify should be disabled on all devices if you turn it off on your computer. 

We suggest that you reinstall the app on your desktop and your phone, and make sure the setting is toggled off.

If that doesn't work, get back to us with a screenshot of the setting along with the Spotify versions and your OS's and we'll take a closer look.

Thanks 🙂

@Jemi,

I uninstalled Spotify from both my PC and my phone. I reinstalled Spotify solely on my computer. I went to my settings, turned off "Publish my activity on Spotify," closed the app. I reopened the app and it was toggled back on, by itself.

I have Windows 10 64 bit, build 17134.

Spotify version 1.0.91.183.g259b84fa.

Spotify.png

Hey @dfeuling,

Just to be sure this isn't an issue connected to the device, could you try logging in on another PC/laptop and turn off the setting there? We know you already tried with a phone, but since the option isn't available there, it'd be best to try the same thing with another PC/laptop. 

Let us know how it goes.

I have tried changing the setting on my laptop, and tried it again today to be sure, same issue:

Open Settings, "Publish my activity on Spotify" is checked on. I uncheck it. Close Spotify. Re-open Spotify, it's checked back on by itself.

Not sure if it pertains to the issue at all, but I log into Spotify with Facebook.

Updates?

Hey @dfeuling

Sorry for the delay. This shouldn't happen, and we want to make sure that this gets resolved.

We strongly suggest that you check out the solutions on this thread for a clean reinstall. When you finally install the app again, make sure to choose Windows Store and find the app from there. There should be a newer version available fore you. 

After that, change the setting and let us know how it goes.

All the best!

Suggested posts