Premium

Country

USA

Device

Pretty sure it was Sony smart TV, might have been my PS4

Operating System

Android or whatever PS4 OS is called, but app is identical on both

My Question or Issue

The other day after leaving Spotify on, I returned to see song lyrics for the cuurent song playing, on my TV.   I have been unable to replicate this.  How do I go about getting lyrics on screen when I would like to see them?

Thanks.

Resubmitted my Question since apparently I asked in a confusing and convoluted manner or something and my original got tossed as s pam.  So decided to ask again clearly and consisely.  Here is my original post for comparison, should anyone be so inclined to campare.  If not feel free to ignore it, but if you can answer my question above I would appreciate it.

So left the house for a couple hours the other day and decided to leave Spotify on for Ruby (my miniature dachshund) to enjoy while I was out.

Dunno what button on the remote she stepped on or which god she prayed to that caused this to happen, but when I came back to Mark Knopfler's guitar making all others pale in comparison during the Sultans of Swing live version's 5 minute solo, there was something different.  Man that sentence got away from me a bit.

Anyway there on the screen were the lyrics as well as little tidbits of information about both Knopfler and Dire Straits.  "Holy **bleep**" I though, "I had no idea that feature existed."  It turns out that apparently I was right and it doesn't. 

I can't replicate it no matter how I try.  Most of my searching seems to indicate that seeing song lyrics is not at least currently, a feature.  The Spotify help on the matter was anything but, helpful that is.  They gave some vague information that seems to be inaccurate, about getting the lyrics using the cell phone app.  But absolutely nothing on lyrics for apps on other platforms.  **bleep** I don't even own a cellphone.

So when I saw those lyrics, was it some kind of heretofore unknown level of detailed LSD flashback?  Or is there some way to access lyrics?  Really seems like an obvious feature to include to me. 

But on the other hand when you are browsing through your saved albums click on one then back out, they start you back at the very beginning of your list of albums instead of you know, putting you back where you were so you can stay among the albums of the same artist.  So I guess really obvious features aren't their forte.  Huh another sentence gets out of hand.

Anyway if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

By the way, those **bleep's** were both merely "he double hockey sticks".  Somehow the auto added **bleep's** make it sound like something worse than if they'd just left well enough alone.  Goes to show the Law of Unintended Consequences is inviolate.

Thanks

Sajiky

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @Sajiky

This feature exists, but only for select songs not all of them.  Its called Genius Lyrics and you can read more about it on the official support article. Its available on mobile, not on the other clients. But since your TV is running Android I assume the app also has it. Did you use your phone to cast the music on the TV?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @Sajiky

This feature exists, but only for select songs not all of them.  Its called Genius Lyrics and you can read more about it on the official support article. Its available on mobile, not on the other clients. But since your TV is running Android I assume the app also has it. Did you use your phone to cast the music on the TV?

Thank you.  I guess since much of my music is older, a bit obscure, (or at least not wildly popular) perhaps very few of my songs have the feature.  I did see it another time since pop up on one of my songs while I was listening, instead of already on the screen when I walked in the room.  That was enough for me to surmise it was something along the lines of your answer.

I have tried casting from my tablet in an attempt to be able to play an offline album on my sound system.  But since frustratingly that is not allowed, there is little need to use that function for me.

That is actually an issue that will likely end up having me abandon Spotify altogether.  One of my favorite albums is unavailable streaming.  I own it with offline mp3s but can't figure out a good way to get it to my sound system.  It has to be in my rotation.

Would you happen to know a way to play the files through the xbox one Spotify app?  I have the files on my xbox but can't find a way for the app to recognize they are there.

I find much to like about Spotify, however they have just introduced their third arbitrary pointless account restriction (added Hulu but not for commercial free, to the existing, only family members under same roof, and the not casting offline songs) so I'm about to give up on them anyway.

Multiple small annoyances can quickly add up to drive me away quicker than one larger issue.  Mainly because there is a decent chance one big issue will get fixed.  Odds of all three of these smaller issues being fixed is much smaller.

Thanks though

Sajiky

Oh plus I think my account was hacked heh.  But that's as likely to be my fault.  When you log on to find all your playlists deleted, one playlist added with a single song in said list, and the title of said song is F**k You, it is time to change your password.

Suggested posts