Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Radio Option No Longer Available?

Radio Option No Longer Available?

I've been a Premium user for a few years now and listen to, quite literally, 100% of my music through the Spotify app on my phone.

The other day I realized that when I choose any "Go to Radio" option (Go to Song Radio, Go to Playlist Radio, etc.) the app instead takes me to a playlist based on that song/playlist/etc.

There's no option for thumbs up/down on any song, and the top of the app literally says "Playing From Playlist."

Why am I not able to access the radio?

2 Replies

Live chat couldn't figure it out either, uninstalled/reinstalled the app and even had me log in on a test account to no avail. Said they'd look into it and get back to me.

Guess I'll be cancelling Premium until it's resolved, no point in paying for a service that I'm not receiving.

Yep! Looks to me they are making a change in the way their Radio works and are moving it to essentially be a big playlist rather than a self-changeable list. 

This is in transition, as some things you start Radio on are still like/dislikable and others are not (or maybe just legacy Radios you have previously opened stay editable, I seem to have a bug in my Radio area of Spotify as well where you have to scroll to see them).

I must admit I am getting fed up with Spotify increasingly dictating what I should be listening to and taking away more and more control for me to influence what I'm listening to. 

They outright refused to listen to people's request to ban artists from radios, which would have given more control to the user to influence their algorithms. This is clearly because the majors aren't going to risk their roster being excluded from the attention economy.

Radio's were awesome because they were effectively extensions of the Daily mixes. 5 varients isn't enough to cover my music taste and 99% of anything I find on Spotify now that isn't one of their playlists is in a minor key! Interestingly, other people I know with a similiar music taste seem to have exactly the same playlists. 

This is getting dangerous for music discovery. I'll be keeping my eye on the competitors. 

Suggested posts