Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Radio autoplay when playlists end

Solved!

Radio autoplay when playlists end

For the past few days, whenever I get to the end of a playlist or album, instead of simply ending, it will begin playing a radio station based of the playlist I just listened to. Is this a glitch or a new feature, and either way how do I get it to stop? I make playlists in order to have a specific set of songs, the exact opposite reason one listens to radio, which is a random and new set of songs.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Had the same problem, so annoying! Go to settings>playback and turn off "autoplay"

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey folks, we've merged quite a few similar threads here. It sounds like you're all asking about the Autoplay feature that we're currently rolling out to users.

With Autoplay you don't ever have to stop the music. Once you reach the end of an album, playlist, or set of tracks, Spotify will automatically play a Radio station based on it. 

To see how to disable (or re-enable) this AutoPlay feature, click here.

Marked as solution

Hi @Gehren, welcome to the Spotify Community!

In your mobile app, go to Settings - Playback - and disable Autoplay.

Voilà 🙂

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

222 Replies

Hey @sillyduffer, help's here!

Can you let us know the device/operating system and Spotify version you're currently using?

We'll see what we can suggest. 

Motorola Moto X (2nd Generation), Android 6.0, Spotify version 5.8.0.1029.

Thanks for your reply, @sillyduffer!

A reinstall should help with this. Check out the steps here.

Let us know if that helps. 

I tried the reinstall today, followed all the steps, cleared the data and started completely over. It is still switching to radio after playlists and albums.

If this helps, it always, upon reaching the end of the playlist, shows the first song for a few milliseconds, then says "song cannot be played" and then switches to radio.

Yeah. Annoying listening to album then straight after it auto plays radio based on album.
There must be an option to turn this auto play feature off.

This behaviour is so "off the wall" that I'm inclined to think it's yet another Spotify A/B test. Maybe @Alejandro_C could check this?

Hey, thanks for replying!

We've just updated our app version for Android. Can you let us know if the issue still exists after updating to the latest version?

Keep us posted. 

I unistalled and reinstalled Spotify but I am having the same issue with the radio.

Yeah me too. Unininstalled, reinstalled. Still no joy 

Thanks for all the info @Chellejazzy@sillyduffer, and @mike040872!

We'd like to take a closer look into this. Can you guys help us out with this info:

• Devices/operating systems where you experience the issue
  • Spotify version 
  • Country you're located in
  • Any error messages displayed

We're looking forward to your response.

I'm using Samsung J5, Android 5.1.1, Spotify version 5.9.0.774 armV7. I'm in the UK. I play album/playlist and after it ends, a split second message saying "song not available" and then plays "radio based on album/playlist"

Samsung Note 5/Android 6.0.1
Spotify 5.9.0.774 armV7
USA
Error - At the end of a playlist an error pops up stating "this song is not available" then begins to play a radio station based on your last playlist.

Hey guys, 

Thanks for all the info so far, it's really helpful. 

We're just about to pass this along, but need a couple more details:

1) some screenshots would be great

2) is the song that the Radio is based on the last song from the playlist, or is it a completely random one?

US/Samsung Galaxy s6/Android 6.0.1/ Spotify 5.9.0.774 armV7
Mine has been doing the same thing, but I haven't looked at the screen when it does.

I pause my music, walk up to my office, my phone connects to the wifi and I realize my headphones on the desk are blasting the playlist radio from the playlist I had been listening to. I'm checking to see if a song unavailable message pops up too.
This started a week or two ago.

The radio it puts mine on is based on the entire playlist I was listening to. (So I was listening to "Fave", it puts me on "playlist radio based on "Fave" which then shows up in my library).

Same thing happens to me. My phone is a Sony Xperia Z3 Spotify version 5.0.9. 774 armV7 and my country is Brazil

Same problem in Germany with honor 5c and android 6.0! Spotify version is 5.9.0.774. Reinstalling has no effect.
Album-radio is based on the album I listened to. (That's why it's called "album-radio" instead of "song-radio, isn't it?)
I'm often listening to audio-books/spoken word and this function sucks, because random chapters of different books are played after the end of the book I listened to. Please turn off this stupid function!
By the way: There's no problem with spotify on my ipad. Please never add this "function" to iOS!

Always based on the playlist last listened to. I have one I use to fall asleep and it bugs the **bleep** out of me when it wakes me up by playing some of the artist more upbeat songs.
I'm on version 5.9.0.774 armV7 on a sony Z3 compact running Android 6.01 and in Sweden.
The issue has perdisted through three version updates including clearing out the app and its data for a clean install.

Suggested posts