Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Radio autoplay when playlists end

Solved!

Radio autoplay when playlists end

For the past few days, whenever I get to the end of a playlist or album, instead of simply ending, it will begin playing a radio station based of the playlist I just listened to. Is this a glitch or a new feature, and either way how do I get it to stop? I make playlists in order to have a specific set of songs, the exact opposite reason one listens to radio, which is a random and new set of songs.
222 Replies

Double post

How can a digital company operate by only rolling out changes to software to SOME people. This continues to push towards leaving the service. It's a ludicrous way of operating a business.

I also see they make impossible to speak to a representative of the company and instead rely on community responses to solve problem.

What a joke this is becoming.

@pemboom wrote:

I also see they make impossible to speak to a representative of the company and instead rely on community responses to solve problem.

What a joke this is becoming.

That is incorrect. Spotify offers a SpotifyCares channel on both Twitter and Facebook, and offers email support by going here.

@pemboom wrote:

How can a digital company operate by only rolling out changes to software to SOME people. This continues to push towards leaving the service. It's a ludicrous way of operating a business.

That is not unusual for a company to do such things. Stuff like this are called staged rollouts, that way, if something bad were to pop up such as an error or a bug, they can halt the rollout, fix the errors or bugs, and resume the rollout process.

So it takes some clicking through menu options that don't apply to me to get to the email support. This isn't unique to Spotify but it's still deplorable.

Staged rollouts usually come with some opt in clause or at least a prewarning to you. I don't agree with removing features to only some users without warning. If that's how Spotify are choosing to do business then I will speak with my wallet.

There is a simple solution to this problem, though, and I'm hoping they come to it.

@pemboom wrote:

So it takes some clicking through menu options that don't apply to me to get to the email support. This isn't unique to Spotify but it's still deplorable.

Staged rollouts usually come with some opt in clause or at least a prewarning to you. I don't agree with removing features to only some users without warning. If that's how Spotify are choosing to do business then I will speak with my wallet.

There is a simple solution to this problem, though, and I'm hoping they come to it.

Uh...last I checked, staged rollouts don't come with a "opt-in clause". That has never been the case with any companies i have accounts with who use the staged rollout strategy. Case in point being Facebook, Google, (of course) Spotify, and a whack load of others. And, I don't think you understand. They aren't "removing" autoplay. They are still rolling out the feature. 

Hey there @pemboom

We're sorry to hear that this is happening.

The below steps should help in turning off AutoPlay:

• [iOS & Android] Steps: Settings > Playback > toggle off AutoPlay. 
  • [Desktop] Steps: Settings > Show Advanced Settings > toggle off AutoPlay. 

As this doesn't seem to be the case here, i'd recommend reaching out to our Support team one of the below ways.

1. Email - https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

2. Twitter - https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares

3. Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/SpotifyCares

They'll be able to look into this in more detail for you backstage and try to get you up and running again 🙂

Let us know if there's any other questions.

Thanks, and take care.
/M

I make playlists to work out to that are certain lengths and ramp up and down the way I want (so soft and quiet songs at the end). Since downloading the latest version, I noticed when my playlist ends, random songs just start to play. I need to figure out how to end it, so when the playlist ends everything ends. Thanks!

Hey @jenn5175, welcome to the Spotify Community.

You need to turn off autoplay.

Here is a link that should help you

https://support.spotify.com/using_spotify/search_play/autoplay/

Thank you so much! It has been driving me crazy but I didn't know what it was called to look up a solution! Thank you!!!!

Marked as solution

Hey folks, we've merged quite a few similar threads here. It sounds like you're all asking about the Autoplay feature that we're currently rolling out to users.

With Autoplay you don't ever have to stop the music. Once you reach the end of an album, playlist, or set of tracks, Spotify will automatically play a Radio station based on it. 

To see how to disable (or re-enable) this AutoPlay feature, click here.

The proposed solution in this thread, to refer to instructions in the help for how to disable the feature, relies on that customers understand what they are looking for in order to solve their problem. From the amount of threads on this topic, it is evident that most people did not understand what was going on.

I would regard a proper solution to be that Spotify immediately rolls out an update that automatically turns off this feature, together with a gentle advertisement of the feature with an offer to enable it and instructions for the same. That would have avoided this long thread.

On my phone I tapped "Your Music", clicked the cogwheel in the upper right corner, tapped "playback", scrolled down to autoplay and slid it to off.  

I absolutely agree. Facebook is notorious for rolling out major changes without any warning, and I liken this to that. I do NOT see it as a benefit to hear music after what I chose to play ends,  and it's obvious others feel the same. 

Meanwhile, I was bombarded with responses to this thread in my Inbox this morning. How do I disble those? I've learned how to turn off this feature, and that's all I cared about. Thanks. 

@mollybeee

Thank you so much, such a simple solution !

This is exactly what my problem was, but I didn't turn it on in the first place.

this is just an annoyance.. and well for people not on wifi this could be an added cost which is not intended or expected

Apart from rolling this feature out without announcing it properly (because who reads changelogs anyway), there need to be a clarification of autoplay and when it activates.

• Does it activate only when on wifi?
  • Does it activate on mobile network?
  • Does it stream high quality based on stream quality or download quality?
  • Can I disable autoplay only for when not on wifi?

Sweden's data plans for mobile phones are absolute **bleep**. We're on the verge of another mobile dataplan change as carriers realized, there's wifi in every corner where people work, live, drink coffee and socialize. So it is sometimes assumed by companies that the phone will magically be on wifi even when on inaccesible locations such as trains. The grim reality is that autoplay may suddenly switch your offline/saved playlist to radio which then sucks bandwidth. I have a limited 4GB monthly plan and Spotify is in top 3 of data usage on the phone.

Software development:

Assume users want the current default settings as default settings.

When shipping a new feature, make sure it is off by default and prompt the user to activate it. If you want people to know about the feature, make an email (like you do when you update stupid user agreement policies) and dedicate the whole email for it.

In the current Spotify main menu there's room for a changelog category you could call: new features or Spotify News.

It would be interesting to also read about your actual compression sizes for data transfer, as I've understood Spotify has a very high file compression combined with encryption and take little data just as Skype and Messenger.

This is **bleep**ing stupid. I have the album I'm playing set to repeat so that the music doesn't stop. If I wanted to hear just how terrible Spotify is at gauging what artist or song sounds similar, I'd play your stupid radio. But I've been paying so I don't have to subject myself to that garbage.

Now the problem that I'm having is this **bleep** will still loop to that **bleep** radio station after I play an album. I've unchecked the setting, rechecked and unchecked it, uninstalled and reinstalled, restarted devices etc. etc...

If this continue, I'm out.

Thank God, it was driving me nuts!

So you don't want to potentially find new music based on what you like when your music ends??? 🙄

Suggested posts