Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Repeat one disables itself

Solved!

Repeat one disables itself

Hi,

Repeat one functionality disables itself after I change the song. It works fine for one song, but does not persist for the next song. For example, when I turn it on while listening to song X, song X keeps repeating, which is fine. But then, if I switch to song Y (either through forward, rewind, or select through playlist), repeat one does not apply to song Y, and I have to enable it again to get it working for song Y.

The issue seems specific to Android, as repeat one works fine on my Spotify Desktop.

Your device

Galaxy S4.

What type of account do you have?

Premium

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

My mobile Spotify version

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello @turing_machine

Sorry for the late reply.

I am not the developer who added it into the mobile app, but this behavior is intended.

Let's say you are playing a song from a playlist and you want to listen to it over and over again.

You then open the now playing view and tap on repeat until it goes to repeat one.

Since you want to keep listening to that song you close out of the Spotify app and carry on whatever else you are doing.

If you then decide to play another song or continue on with the playlist, the repeat one option is turned off.

I think this is intended because usually you don't just want Spotify to repeat one every song you tap on.

If it so happens that you want a certain song on repeat one, then you would just go to the now playing screen and turn repeat one on.

It would be a hassle to leave repeat one on because when you want to play a different song or continue playing the rest of the playlist, you would have to go to the now playing screen EVERY SINGLE TIME and turn off repeat one so you can continue listening without the app repeating the next song that you chose, over and over again.

The desktop app keeps the repeat one on because the button is always in view and easy to turn on and off. It's not so easy in the mobile apps.

Hopefully my thoughts are helpfult.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello @turing_machine

Sorry for the late reply.

I am not the developer who added it into the mobile app, but this behavior is intended.

Let's say you are playing a song from a playlist and you want to listen to it over and over again.

You then open the now playing view and tap on repeat until it goes to repeat one.

Since you want to keep listening to that song you close out of the Spotify app and carry on whatever else you are doing.

If you then decide to play another song or continue on with the playlist, the repeat one option is turned off.

I think this is intended because usually you don't just want Spotify to repeat one every song you tap on.

If it so happens that you want a certain song on repeat one, then you would just go to the now playing screen and turn repeat one on.

It would be a hassle to leave repeat one on because when you want to play a different song or continue playing the rest of the playlist, you would have to go to the now playing screen EVERY SINGLE TIME and turn off repeat one so you can continue listening without the app repeating the next song that you chose, over and over again.

The desktop app keeps the repeat one on because the button is always in view and easy to turn on and off. It's not so easy in the mobile apps.

Hopefully my thoughts are helpfult.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, it doesn't help at all as you just told me

that the problem is probably intentional, and I'm not sure whether to feel better

or worse after knowing that. 😄

To me, it is just bad design, and I disagree with treating mobile app different than

the Desktop one for the purposes of repeat one functionality. From personal experience,

I find it to be very inconvenient to enable repeat one again every time I change a song.

Most particularly because I can change the song using buttons on headphones, without

touching the phone, but the same is not the case for enabling/disabling repeat one.

That alone is a huge reason for persisting the repeat one's current state until it is

modified by the user.

Secondly, the default android music player keeps it on. I think a good way to settle the debate

would be to look at various apps and see what majority of them do. I haven't used many,

but this behaviour is just sounds bizarre to me.

Thanks,

TM.

Sorry but have to agree with turing_machine on this one.

Have you considered that some of us are cycling and use wireless bluetooth headphones that allow us to forward songs by clicking the headphones without ever needing to get mobile phone out of our back pocket while riding?

To make an example.. im riding uphill and some song provides good tempo for that uphill (it can last for several kilometers) but then i get on flat road and want to pace myself to another song (again several kilometers).

Turning off something that user specifically turned on is massive UX fail at least. (To be honest its like you turned on your car and that car decided that after every corner it would shut itself down). If i turn the single repeat on and forward my track forward then i asked spotify app to forward one track... not to turn the repeat one song off. The nice and simple solution would be to at least allow us to configure it in settings.

Device: Sony Xperia Z1 | Samsung Galaxy Note 1 GT-N7000

Version 3.4.0.764

Premium Acc

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Regards

Why not give users to option to able/disable default repeat one and similar settings? I have same problem as OP and since I can listen to same song on repeat for several hours and cause myself brain damage, having to keep changing back is a pain, esp with accidental clicks. . Amazon prime music keep repeat one on by default.

yeah, this feature is exactly the opposite of what i want. would love an option to disable/enable "repeat one" resetting. i use this to listen to new songs and put them on repeat while im working, so if i am not paying attention or want to hear it again i dont have to do anything. that way it doesnt progress to the next song unless ive decided if i want to add it to a playlist or not. and if its bad, i used to just skip to the next song. used to use it the way it was all day long now i have to find a different way.

edit: it seems it wont reset repeat one if you double click the next song instead of hitting a next song button on the keyboard, so at least there's that. slight inconvenience but at least its not gone entirely.

this happens to me on my desktop but only when i skip to a song with the forward key either on the keyboard or on spotify itself. and its rly annoying. any tips?

I know this is like really late but I had to look this up because I am currently having the same issue with Spotify but only on my desktop. I have my song X on repeat one and when I switch to song Y, it just goes on regular repeat and this annoys me so much! I just want to switch songs without having to put on the repeat one all the time. I read all the responses to this thread but I'm not sure if I understand which is the right solution? I need help.. Thanks. 

THE DESKTOP FORMAT USED TO KEEP REPEAT ONE BUT IT NOW DISABLES IT. 

That's the same issue I'm having now. I *think* it came in a recent update, but i have no idea why that feature would be added. At least give us the option to disable, and keep repeat one on even after switching a song.

Necroing this because the problem still isn't solved. Please give us the option to toggle between keeping and not keeping repeat one enabled when switching songs. I'm using the desktop app, for the record.

Hey, I’m an iPhone user with a premium account and since the newest update I’m now having this same issue. Please tell me how to fix this ASAP

I have the same issue. When I enable 'repeat one', I would like to to be remain active until I change it. Now it disables after any song change (even when done via buttons on a remote Bluetooth device)

When I'm at the gym I like to repeat the same song multiple times, and it's really annoying having to open the phone and reselect 'repeat one' every time I change a song.

This was working fine before. Is it any way for user to roll back to an older version of Spotify on Android to have this working again?

Hey, I have opened a feature request for this under https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/All-Platforms-Keep-quot-Repeat-One-quot-option/idi...

If you agree that this should be a thing, be sure to give it an upvote.

This is bothering me so much ! ugh! 

Suggested posts