Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Rewind & Fast Forward Disabled on Lock Screen

Rewind & Fast Forward Disabled on Lock Screen

Plan

Free

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy A71 5G

Operating System

Android 11

Hello!

As of a few days ago, the buttons for Spotify on my lock screen are grayed out. I can pause/play, but I cannot rewind or fast forward.

I've already tried:

• Clear cache / storage
  • Log out and back in
  • Full reinstall

Now, the reinstall did work - BRIEFLY. The next time I opened Spotify after the clean reinstall, it went back to having the same problem. Reinstalling Spotify every time I wish to use it is bonkers, so any permanent solutions would be wonderful.

I've attached a screenshot of my lock screen. Please also note the widget is not able to identify what I'm listening to anymore. The podcast name says "unknown"  no matter what I play. This might be related to my problem.

Thank you for the help! Sorry if this is the wrong forum (._. )

Lex

PS, this posting system on mobile is impossible. After attempting to submit, then fixing the highlighted errors, it wouldn't let me post for 5 minutes thinking I had already submitted a new topic.

Screenshot_20210929-080714_Spotify.jpg
61 Replies

Hi @Vidimus,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting!

To start, we suggest you reset your app's preferences. Please take into account that it will reset the settings of all of your apps. 

1. Open your phone's Settings.
  2. Navigate to Apps and notifications or Application Manager.
  3. Tap on the three dots at the top right corner and select “Reset app preferences”.

If this doesn't do the trick, please run a clean reinstall of the app. We understand you already reinstalled it, but these steps are more thorough and can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be causing trouble. 

Let us know how this goes.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you for the response!

I did all the steps as followed. Again, the buttons were usable upon the first use of the app after a clean reinstall. Once the app was opened again after that, the buttons were disabled. I did clear my app settings and cache before the un- and reinstall, to be sure.

I am experiencing the same issue after a recent app update and today's update did not appear to fix the issue.

I have followed the instructions but similarly my controls work at first but as soon as I pause Spotify and my phone goes to sleep then they stop working again.

As a premium user who listens to several hours of podcasts a day (and music in between) its very frustrating as I frequently like to skip back 15secs to re-listen to a point being made or something I missed as my focus was interrupted.  Now I need to unlock my phone and go to the app each time.

I am also an Android user - Samsung S9.

I did notice an update upon my reinstall yesterday. But same here, there was no change to the issue.

It's not feasible while driving, having to unlock my phone and navigate to the app to skip back a bit. Hoping another patch may come through soon!

Hey folks,

Thanks for trying our suggestions and keeping us posted.

Could you let us know if this is happening while your phone is connected to another device, such as Bluetooth speakers or headphones, or when you're using Connect?

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

The issue happens both with and without headphones plugged in. I have not tested with any Bluetooth device, but I have none to test with unfortunately.

Hi @Vidimus,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Just to confirm, does it happen with both podcasts and music or only with podcasts?

If possible, could you try logging in to your account on a different mobile device to see if this also happens there?

Lastly, we'd also like to know the exact Spotify version you're running.

Keep us in the loop.

CarlosEModerator

Hi CarlosE,

I tend to have a good mix going on, I either listen directly via phone speaker, Bluetooth headset, Bluetooth speaker, aux cable (for car) and standard plug in earphones. So have checked out a couple of Bluetooth options:

1. Bluetooth headphones, the buttons do work and I can skip back and forward via the buttons on the headphones (thanks for that, have never used them before)

2. Connected my Fitbit Sense and can also use that to skip forwards and back using the device controls (although this is about as much hassle as unlocking the phone each time and would only be superior at times of high activity and phone not directly on me)

We do use Spotify Connect via a speaker system we have in the ceiling throughout the house but it is currently disabled and not likely to be reconnected for a few weeks so I can't test that one. 

This leaves the problem being on the phone lockscreen as the forwards and back buttons are grayed out leaving only the play/pause button active and usable. So I need to unlock my phone each time I need to use the skip function.  At the moment I am not driving but can empathise with the other user as this would be extremely annoying for me if I was driving and couldn't use the lockscreen controls as my focus needs to primarily be on the road I frequently have to skip back because I tuned out of the podcast due to having to intently focus on the road etc. 

I exclusively listen to podcasts. I've tested it with music, and it lets me skip to the next song though I cannot skip back (probably because I'm a free user, but I don't know. I don't use Spotify for my jams so I'm unfamiliar with what's standard.)
My version is: 8.6.66.1238
Apologies, but I have no other mobile devices to test with.

Hi CarlosE, 

Just to add to this one, I'm going through a podcast binge at the moment but also switched to music and it does work, can skip forwards and back songs. When I put music on I tend to set up a playlist at the start so I don't need to skip songs so hadn't noticed it worked for songs. So definitely a problem with podcasts and only became a problem a few days ago.  I'm on the same version 8.6.66.1238 and a premium user. 

I'm having the same issue. Not finding a good solution

Hey folks,

Thanks for the info 🙂

Could you check if you have a setting for a lock screen under Lock screen - Widgets - Music? In case you do, you can try toggling it on/off.

In case nothing changes, could you share with us the following? We'll look into this further.

• Device + OS version
  • Exact Spotify version
  • Video recording of the issue. Alternatively you can share with us the exact steps so we can try reproducing this.

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have experienced this as well. I have a Galaxy s10 plus version G975USQS6GUI2. This issue also happened with version G975USQS5GUF1. I have spotify version 8.6.66.1238. Here is a screenshot with my rewind and FF button greyed.

Screenshot_20211005-153239_One UI Home.jpg

Hi there @kmandersen10

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Just to make sure, have you already tried the suggested steps in this thread?

On another note, would you mind asking a friend or a relative to log in to their account in your phone to check if the issue persists with a different account? 

Lastly, we'd recommend checking if the OS of your phone has any pending updates.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I've since been able to try both my account on another device, and someone else's account on my device.

• My account, other device (iPhone) = no issue
  • Friend account, my device = issue persists

I do have a music widget setting. I toggled that off and on. Again, no change.

I am unable to provide a video of the problem. While I do have an app that screen records, it stops recording once the screen is locked, and there is no setting to override that.

The steps involved is simply playing a podcast and locking the phone. When I awaken the screen, where the music widget shows up, the buttons are greyed out (see image in original post). The buttons are fine anywhere else: in the app proper and in the widget from my dropdown menu on the main screen (phone unlocked).

My device, OS, and app versions have not changed since my previous responses. I do not have a pending update for my phone or for Spotify.

Here's hoping yall can figure something out for us!

Yes I have tried all the above suggestions. My husband is having the same issue on his device with his account logged in. We both have the latest device update.

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and confirmations.

If you have an SD card we suggest that you uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app since the card can be corrupted.

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

My Samsung a71 5g does not have an SD card.

I also don't have an SD card. The issue must either be with the app or with Samsung phones because everyone I've talked to with a Samsung is having the same issue.

Suggested posts