Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Same track, different version, from different album/EP not syncing unlinked tracks

Same track, different version, from different album/EP not syncing unlinked tracks

I have one standard length album in a playlist from a certain band. They released an acoustic EP the other day which is not on Spotify at the moment. I imported this EP into my library, put these tracks into my playlist and unlinked them on the Desktop app. They have the same names as some of the tracks on the first album, but they are different versions and are tagged with a different album name. When I downloaded the playlist to my mobile/cell, some of the tracks from the acoustic EP were actually replaced with the standard version of the track. Spotify seems to link the new tracks to the existing tracks of same name in the library even though they are set as unlinked. I assume this is because the mobile isn't aware of this unlinking setting.

I have renamed the tracks to include (Acoustic) in the name and this has got around the issue. However, this goes against the official tracklistings which dont include that in the name. Now I would prefer if the record label tagged it with (Acoustic) for clarity, but if I am a picky end user, I want it to be tagged as it should be officially, especially since it affects my scrobble database.

This is a feature request (or bug if it already exists and not working correctly) for you to add a tag to the track instances in a playlist when marked as unlinked with file location and then have the mobile app look for this tag. If it exists, when a request is made to download or stream the track, it looks at this tag and finds the linked file. If it doesn't find this tag, then it assumes you want it to find the linked track.

1 Reply

Hi, Spotify will match a track to it's database and sync that if it matches rather than the local track. You are right in your work-around for getting it to correctly sync; however the metadata is supplied by the record label and Spotify generally don't have much control over this.

Have you checked to see if that Idea already exists in the Ideas section? If it does then add your Kudos to show your support. If not, create a new idea and if it gets enough Kudos it may well happen!

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Suggested posts