Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Songs keep randomly stopping and skipping to the next song

Solved!

Songs keep randomly stopping and skipping to the next song

Hello,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5.  Spotify has been amazing for a month.  I pretty much only use an online playlist on random.  

All of a sudden today, it seems like I can't get through one song without it skipping out of the blue to the next song.

Ive uninstalled and reinstalled, taken out the battery, and it's still going on.

Spotify keeps sending me the same auto response email telling me to come here.  

what do I do??

63 Replies

Also on TMobile. Problems seem to only occur with Bluetooth connection. Nexus 6, Android 5.1

Is it time for Tidal?

I have an iPhone6 and this exact issue is happening. unfortunately there's no "sd" card to format. I hate that this is happening

I'm experiencing the same on windows 8 computer. 

Marked as solution

I'm having the same issue. It's not a network issue since I'm having this happen in offline mode. 

Some of th ethings I did include:

1- Un-synch my playlist and re-download to my device. 

2- Remove individual track from playlist and re-add

3- Move track position in downloaded playlist

4- Scroll manually through track to force app to play at later point after skip area.

5- Delete all filles and app data from App Settings and then re-downloaded playlists

Options 1 through 4 did nothing to resolve issue in my case.

Option 5 fixed this for me. Most likely this was caused by a caching issue, where the track likely cached itself to your device while network connection was iffy. 

Hope this solution works for the rest of you. 

I have had this issue for I don't know how long. When I upgraded to a iPhone 6, worked perfect with my iPhone 4s, it randomly starts with the skipping. Sometimes it works perfect and other times it's frustrating to hear the song skip 6 seconds in. I doubt it has anything to do with the phone since multiple devices have commented. It has to be their program. It's on an eternal skip song!
And yeah it sucks to pay for this service & not have it work 80% of the time.

I just got the premium version of spotify last night.  This is my first experience ever with spotify.  I am the director of a new dance academy and after much research decided that this would be the best way to get/play music for my classes.  All I have done so far is go down the list of top 100 most downloaded songs to see what I want to add.  Almost every song is skipping for a second, and I'm not even playing them all the way through!  It's driving me insane!!! From what I'm hearing you all say, this is going to be an issue no matter what, when, where I'm playing my music?  I realize that right now my first 3 months are almost free, but this is unexceptable in a proffesional setting and I cannot continue business this way.  

This is happening at my home in Bradenton FL on a windows 8 computer.  There should nothing wrong with my connection. Basically I'm realizing that I should probably cancel and find another way of getting music.  Does anyone have a suggestion of what I should try next?? Or is there hope of this problem going away?

Try Google Play Music

This has been happening for me for about a month. This happens when I'm streaming... I'll just be playing a playlist, and it'll just starting playing one, and it seems like if the internet connection isn't strong or drops, when spotify reconnects successfully, then it'll just skip to the next song instead of trying to load the current song. This happened to one of the playlists I was listening to for about half of the songs! This is really annoying... I have a Galaxy S6 so no SD card for me.

Actually I'm in.PA and haVing the same issue

Fix the problem spotify, getting really pissed

I don't pay $12 a month to listen to half of a **bleep**inh song!

Same here. Premium account on s6 edge. Song stops and I have to start over. Happens on offline folder for certain. About once every 20 min maybe.

This is killing me! Spotify acts like it's on drugs skipping songs every second. This happened about a week after I upgraded to Win10 so it couldn't have been because of that. Totally random freaky behavior. Please look into this Spotify! I'm using Deezer instead now to ease my addiction to music, but I'm too poor to pay for both services. Got two premium accounts with you already...

What I've done so far:
Uninstalled some old drivers, installed newest versions
Used Windows 10 own drivers
Uninstalled/reinstalled Spotify with Revo
Rebooted laptop 100 times
Unchecked Hardware acceleration
No local files
No downloaded files
Banged my head against a concrete wall
Still not working

I'm having the same skipping problems w/ my Galaxy Light. I'm kindof scared to try the things you all have. I don't have aPC at home, nor am I that tech savvy! Any suggestions? Please help in CLEARLAKE, CA!

I've been experiecning the same issue and I am also in Phoenix, AZ. I don't have an SD card so does this mean that I'll have to reset my whole device? Just sent in a question to Spotify but I'm hoping that I don't have to format my device since it's brand new and I hate having to set it up again. 

I`m having this problem on my laptop any suggestions? whenever i  try and play a song it just continues scrolling through my playlist without end

Both my girlfriend and I are both having this issue. She has a Galaxy S6 Edge and I have a HTC Once M7... 2 completely different generations of phones and the problem persists on both devices. The only similarity is that both phones are on KitKat. Neither are rooted. Both totally stock.

This is driving us both nuts.

Having a simliar issue... when locking my phone when the song is playing it skips to another song. Very annoying ideed.

Someone from Spotify sent me an email telling me that if you just format
your SD card, it fixes the problem. Every once in a while the problem will
reoccur but every time I format my SD card, the problem goes away. Maybe
this will work for you.

That's an extremely inconvenient fix. I store more than spotify data on my internal storage. Formatting it would take far more effort than it's worth.

Also, I feel that solution is a using a canon to swat a fly. It's similar to the old "windows has an error, format and reinstall everything" method of handling a small problem.

My guess is that if there is actually an issue with the data being corrupt (which isn't likely) then spotify isn't properly checking the checksum on the audio files after either after they download or before they play. My expertise tells me that it's more likely that the application is getting API calls from the Android OS and is not properly handling them.

I base this on my experience in software development.

Suggested posts