Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Songs stop playing randomly

Solved!

Songs stop playing randomly

When I'm in my car everyday on my way to work, I have my android phone (Lollipop 5.1.1 - Spotify last version) playing downloaded music on spotify using aux-in (not bluetooth). I have no Internet connexion but it's ok songs are "downloaded". But I don't know why, some songs keeps pausing randomly. 

When it happens I have to press play button everytime it stops (it can stop a few times on one track). If I listen to the song again, the song pauses at the same positions. But if I listen to the song at home/work using wifi, now it's playing fine.

It's like songs can get corrupted over time. Because it happens randomly to songs that were playing successfuly before.

I found other topics about that specific problem (or similar) but all are set to solved and solutions were not helpful. 

I tried to reinstall. Ok it works, but few days after some songs get corrupted again. This does not fix the problem. It happens again randomly.

I recorded that problem to show how annoying it is. https://youtu.be/CaC9UY6k7Z0

Problem starts at 31 sec and occurs a few times on the track.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I found the cause of the problem. It's a weird bug. The tracks pauses at some time during playback when volume is between 70-100%. The louder I set the volume the more pauses I get on the same track. The pauses seem to occur always at the same timestamp (maybe when there are more bass / heavy sounds I don't know). I couldn't get more information about that problem. Spotify told me they were working on a fix.

As far as I know this only happens on Spotify Android when connected to external speakers with aux-in cable (I tested with 3 diff. cables & headphones are not concerned). This doesn't happen in another app (I tried with stock music app). This doesn't happen only in my car but on my home speakers too (no matter what the volume is on the speakers). I tried to disable the equalizer and the sound effects on the settings of Android. This is not related to WI-FI / Sync / offline mode / corruption of files because this works great with volume at 50-60% (btw I tried airplane mode, 4G, WI-FI, the problem is the same in all cases).

In the meantime I'm using my phone with a volume set to 50-60% and no more problem.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

@29axe

Looks like you may need a clean install, which means deleting everything Spotify has created in your phone. Have you done it when reinstalling?

1. Uninstall the app from phone by going to 'Settings' -> 'Apps' then scroll to the Spotify app and tap on it. Once loaded press 'Uninstall'.
2. Using a file manager make sure that the below folders are deleted if they still exist:

• /emulated/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /ext_sd/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /sdcard1/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /data/media/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music

You will lose all preferences & offline playlists in doing this.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hello @osornios

Thanks for your quick help.

I did a "clear cache" and "delete data" of Spotify, then uninstall + install. But I will try your way as a last hope! 

I will get back after a few car trips 😉

PS: I had Spotify locked from using background data. I tried without but no luck this still happens.

EDIT: I uninstalled it and couln't find any of  theses folders, subfolders or files. I also did a search in Total Commander (incl. hidden files) for "com.spotify.music" & "*spotify*" but nothing found. So I assume last time I reinstalled the app all those files were deleted too. Maybe this solution will not work. I'm rebooting and will install Spotify again and sync my playlists.

Hi,

I reinstalled spotify as you said. Then I synced a playlist. I tried it on my way back home yesterday and the problem occured again on a few songs. One song wouldn't even play for more than one second. Everytime I pressed play the song paused.

Any other idea?

Same here! Some songs randomly stop playing on my downloaded playlists. It's been months now. A working solution or a fix would be appreciated.

Marked as solution

I found the cause of the problem. It's a weird bug. The tracks pauses at some time during playback when volume is between 70-100%. The louder I set the volume the more pauses I get on the same track. The pauses seem to occur always at the same timestamp (maybe when there are more bass / heavy sounds I don't know). I couldn't get more information about that problem. Spotify told me they were working on a fix.

As far as I know this only happens on Spotify Android when connected to external speakers with aux-in cable (I tested with 3 diff. cables & headphones are not concerned). This doesn't happen in another app (I tried with stock music app). This doesn't happen only in my car but on my home speakers too (no matter what the volume is on the speakers). I tried to disable the equalizer and the sound effects on the settings of Android. This is not related to WI-FI / Sync / offline mode / corruption of files because this works great with volume at 50-60% (btw I tried airplane mode, 4G, WI-FI, the problem is the same in all cases).

In the meantime I'm using my phone with a volume set to 50-60% and no more problem.

I have the same problem. I recently set up a new premium account, and downloaded many songs. However, when I get in my car to play music, it pauses at random times throughout each song. It did this with both Bluetooth and AUX cord. If anyone knows of a way to fix this, that'd be great.

This is not a solution but a poor workaround. Also, this does not solve the problem for me anyway

Does not work. Plus, this happens on multiple devices, an LG 3 and two older LGs I use purely to store Spotify downloads.

Spotify does not seem to care based on the response here. Your problem is marked as "solved" and "solution" is bogus, as it does not work. I have the same exact problem (latest Android upgrade) on three different LG phones (1 newer model and 2 older ones). Spotify, do not mark this as "Solved." That is a lie. It's not solved. Also, I've been a Spotify premium subscriber dating back to 2012, I've grown tired of the same old b.s. about doing "clean installs" to solve every problem. It's pure boilerplate and pure nonsense. Rarely, does the clean install work to solve problems and it doesn't work to address this problem

29axe, I've had my volume at 25% at your suggestion and nothing changes.

Hello, i had the same problem. It would come from the phone's saving mode. Put an exception on the spotify application. 

I hope it helps you ! 

Hi

@cohenfs:

I aggree this is a workaround but after a long time looking for a fix with @SpotifyCare on Twitter they weren't able to find a solution to my problem. I thought I could only blame this on my cheap chinese phone. I just shared what I found to maybe help others.

@chzouki:

Good investigation! I don't remember having some sort of Power mode with exceptions on my Vernee Apolo lite. Sadly I can't test it anymore as I broke my screen and replaced my phone with a Xiaomi Redmi Pro that doesn't have any problem. Hope that could help any other user.

I am having the same problems, my car has Ford Sync which is meant to be compatible with Spotify but it also does it at home this problem is really crapping me off, does anyone know of any other good music apps if Spotify don't fix this I'm cancelling my subscription, this problem only started after last update

Suggested posts