Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sound disappeared

Solved!

Sound disappeared

I recently downloaded Spotify for my Android device (HTC One X). I have a premium subscription and it all worked perfectly fine at first. But then suddenly when I tried to open the app again there was no sound. There is sound from all the other applications but not Spotify 😞

I closed the app and opened it again. Logged in and logged out. Even uninstalled it and installed it again but there is still no sound :(((

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@annasnova wrote:

I had my headphones in all the time. The sound did not appear even then.

Re: first comment - the sound did not work even on the playlists I have downloaded 😞

It's comforting to hear that other people have been experiencing similar problems, though.

Do you know how to report a bug to Spotify? I am a bit frustrated that there is no transparent way to ask for support directly from them...

Read up three posts 🙂

There are things to try and then information we need if nothing works.

Community Ergo Sum

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

After emailing with Spotify Technical support, they suggested that I do the following steps:

http://www.spotify.com/uk/help/faq/tech/clean-reinstallation-of-spotify/

And here is what I did:

1. Clear Spotify Data.

2. Uninstalled Spotify App.

3. Reboot (My battery is sealed on my HTC Evo 4G LTE, i.e. HTC One X equivalent).

4. Reinstalled Spotify from Google Play.

After I did those and re-login into the Spotify app, after a few songs I encountered infamous "No Internet Connection" error.   Other Internet apps are still working (Browser...)   So I turned off the WiFi and then turned it on again.  That fixed it.   So the Spotify's handling the WiFi error seemed to be a problem in the start.

After that, I started streaming radio and things looked a lot better.   Now it doesn't seem to encounter this error anymore.   I also tried another device (HP Touchpad with CM9) and that looked ok as well.   I'll continue to observe how things go but so far it seemed to be ok now.

Marked as solution

THIS IS THE ANSWER

1. Close Spotify and uninstall it from your device: "Settings" » "Application" » "Manage applications" and then choose Spotify and press "Uninstall"
2. Remove these two folders from your phone/external memory: (1) spotify2 (2) Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui
3. Restart your device by removing your battery. This will force close any active applications.
4. Install Spotify once again through GooglePlay.

Although I didn't have the second folder (com.spotify.mobile.android.ui) following the steps above worked.   Thanks Spotify Customer Service.

23 Replies

i have almost the same problem,

everytime i start a song which isn't downloaded, the sound's missing.

The strange thing is that the timebar on the music player is still moving forward until i return to the playlist and go to the music player again, then it starts by 0:00 and goes forward again!

what i guess:

somehow some of the songs which aren't downloaded can't be downloaded because of some internet connection issues, so the timebar of the player still goes forward and causes the illusion  that the song is played, but it isn't

maybe it's a bug and a sad one too, i hope this problem will be handled soon

maybe a little infrequent solution:

kill the task of the app and try it again, but wait for the internet connection to get stable before you start the song

Please have a read here.

Community Ergo Sum

I have had this issue before too.  What I have found is that sometimes, a setting on your phone changed somehow and the music from Spotify is attempting to play through the headphone jack.  Try plugging in your headphones and see if the music is there.  If it is, that's what's going on and you may want to look at your settings.

Re: first comment - the sound did not work even on the playlists I have downloaded 😞

It's comforting to hear that other people have been experiencing similar problems, though.

Do you know how to report a bug to Spotify? I am a bit frustrated that there is no transparent way to ask for support directly from them...

Marked as solution

@annasnova wrote:

Read up three posts 🙂

There are things to try and then information we need if nothing works.

Community Ergo Sum

Description

Please describe the problem:

Spotify appears to be playing music but there is no sound.  All other sound/music apps on my mobile are playing sound as exepected (e.g. Amazon MP3, Google Play, Google Music, BeyondPod, etc).  This problem is only occuring with Spotify.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

1. Open Spotify
2. Select a song to play (either stream or downloaded)
3. The play and pause buttons seem to indicate the song is play but there is no sound

What I expected to happen:

I expected to hear what I was attempting to play

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

HTC EVO 3D 4G

Device’s Operating System

Android 4.0.3

What type of account do you have?

Premium

Space left on your device

389MB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

12.82 GB

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

Yes

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

NA

My mobile provider and country

Virgin Mobile (Sprint)

My username

johnmcaldwell

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify login

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?
no

EDIT on 11/19/12: Spotify is working now!

This evening my phone downloaded a system software update and Spotify is now working as expected. I'm still running Android 4.0.3 but now my software number is 1.14.652.0 710RD

I too am having this issue. 😕
Marked as solution

After emailing with Spotify Technical support, they suggested that I do the following steps:

http://www.spotify.com/uk/help/faq/tech/clean-reinstallation-of-spotify/

And here is what I did:

1. Clear Spotify Data.

2. Uninstalled Spotify App.

3. Reboot (My battery is sealed on my HTC Evo 4G LTE, i.e. HTC One X equivalent).

4. Reinstalled Spotify from Google Play.

After I did those and re-login into the Spotify app, after a few songs I encountered infamous "No Internet Connection" error.   Other Internet apps are still working (Browser...)   So I turned off the WiFi and then turned it on again.  That fixed it.   So the Spotify's handling the WiFi error seemed to be a problem in the start.

After that, I started streaming radio and things looked a lot better.   Now it doesn't seem to encounter this error anymore.   I also tried another device (HP Touchpad with CM9) and that looked ok as well.   I'll continue to observe how things go but so far it seemed to be ok now.

Ok, now I have the same problem. For some time Spotify was working great on my phone. Suddenly, a few days ago, the sound simply disappeared. It shows the status as if the sound is playing, downloading of playlist is fast and smooth, but no sound. Since the phone has Beats audio enhancer every time there is some sound coming from the device it activates and I can see it in the notification (and disable it). Now with Spotify this was working when I had sound but not now. This I can only guess is because Spotify is somehow not opening the audio device. BTW, everything else is working fine on the phone, from sound perspective. Every media app is just fine.

I tried uninstalling, clearing data, disabling and enabling wifi and mobile network. Nothing helps. It becomes frustrating when instead of listening while travelling or similar I'm trying to debug the phone. 😞

Info:

Phone: HTC One X

Android: 4.0.4 (factory, not-rooted)

Internet available using unlimited-traffic Mobile network (not WIFI!)

Did I do something before problem appeared: No, nothing was updated or changed on the phone.

my mobile Spotify on my HTC Desire HD has always worked OK, but suddenly the sound has disappeared.

Spotify appears to be playing music but there is no sound.  All other sound/music apps on my mobile are playing sound as expected (e.g. Soundhound, YouTube, iPlayer , PlayerPro, Listen etc.etc etc). Spotify doesn't  have sound on headphone jack, internal speaker, off-line or on-line !   This problem is only occurring with Spotify, although ALL its other functions work properly and Spotify on my laptop version works fine.

I've deleted and re-downloaded the App and rebooted my phone etc. several times.   What can I do before cancelling my subscription ?    Thanks for any help.

I have the exact same problem as the ts used to have and I have the same specs. Somehow mine still isn't working after performing all the steps of section B (besides step 7, the file wasn't on my phone). I've had this problem for a short week now, so please help me!

I have to mention that the downloaded songs which aren't from spotify, but come from my laptop still work fine.

Also: I live in Holland, my carrier is Vodafone and I have an unrooted HTC Evo 3D (no 4G) with android 4.0.3.

I hope it can still be fixed somehow, and quickly.

Marked as solution

THIS IS THE ANSWER

1. Close Spotify and uninstall it from your device: "Settings" » "Application" » "Manage applications" and then choose Spotify and press "Uninstall"
2. Remove these two folders from your phone/external memory: (1) spotify2 (2) Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui
3. Restart your device by removing your battery. This will force close any active applications.
4. Install Spotify once again through GooglePlay.

Although I didn't have the second folder (com.spotify.mobile.android.ui) following the steps above worked.   Thanks Spotify Customer Service.

I've just tried two uninstall/reinstall cycles, including looking for the two folders mentioned above, and I'm still getting no audio through the application. Other applications on my phone are able to play audio without issue.

You need to find those folders with a file manager then delete them  - that is the key.    The other thought is to check your graphic equalizer's volume isn't turned down (if you have one on any of your sound programmes)

@atbsiow wrote:

You need to find those folders with a file manager then delete them  - that is the key.    The other thought is to check your graphic equalizer's volume isn't turned down (if you have one on any of your sound programmes)

I searched for the folders mentioned (and anything that contained spotify), and there were no results after I uninstalled the application..

I finally got it working, and what I did is no different than before but this time it worked:

1 - Go to installed Apps in settings and choose Spotify

2 - Click "Clear data"

3 - Uninstall Spotify

4 - Power off the phone and wait few minutes

5 - Turn on the phone and install Spotify

6 - Log in and play music

Notes:

-HTC One X does not have removable battery, so that step I could not do

-I did not find the mentioned folders, probably they are deleted with "Clear data"

As I said, I did similar steps before but it did not work then.

@ilija wrote:

I finally got it working, and what I did is no different than before but this time it worked:

1 - Go to installed Apps in settings and choose Spotify

2 - Click "Clear data"

3 - Uninstall Spotify

4 - Power off the phone and wait few minutes

5 - Turn on the phone and install Spotify

6 - Log in and play music

Notes:

-HTC One X does not have removable battery, so that step I could not do

-I did not find the mentioned folders, probably they are deleted with "Clear data"

As I said, I did similar steps before but it did not work then.

Figured I would give it a try again, this time popping the battery out as well.  This time the issue was resolved, on uninstall attempt number 4.

The hope now is that the audio doesn't cut out after a couple of minutes (which I won't be able to test until later this afternoon).

The same happened to me a few months ago and now it has happened again with my Android, Sony experia Ark, that is... ! Last time, it took several weeks to get back the sound! I do pay for Spotify but Will it take several weeks again im simply going to I leave Spotify!Fix the issue now!!

/Sticky!

To reinstal Spotify means that I have to zynk my playlists all over again. And it is still not certain that it will work, as the last time!

!!!

Suggested posts